Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 antok93

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'll PM you mine but sketches are missing.

that be great could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'll PM you mine but sketches are missing.

Can you send it to me too?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Damianlegend

omg ..when i read all of your posts i was scared..haha i only have my solidworks model done on da computer and nothing else ;/ im waaay behind..i have output 1 and 2 kind of planned out but i dont think its right.. ooh f**k i better hurry up! :mad: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Amstar

What are people doing for the pump? I just about have my bottle finished for part A but ive no pump done. (I do have 5 parts) Should I create one or just leave it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Sorry about the delays on the PMs, I have to get it off my external drive. I'll try give it to you tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

Kieran Lad wrote: »
    This is going to be a challenge for me, thanks to a teacher with a lack of control and a class full of wasters, the teacher gets no time to go around and help the students who want to succeed in life!! Its also combined with the woodwork room, so timber is thrown etc. My only option is to do this is at home. I have a good bit of practise with solidworks so I should get through with yer help :).

Dont even mention the mechanical drawing part, drawing boards with chisel marks do not work well :(

Kieran,
    DO NOT undertake the solidworks part of the assignment at home. Last year there were 15 students whose projects came under investigation by the SEC because of "irregularities" in their projects, i.e. projects were completed on machines other than school based computers. As with all computer docs the properties of each part can be checked very quickly and easily. By all means do all of your design/research, freehand etc at home but all solidworks components must be completed in school. Ask your teacher for use of the facilities after/before school if you want to do some extra work, you may be surprised how accommadating MOST teachers are!

http://imgur.com/a/UGP3s

Here is my portfolio for anyone who wishes to use it as a reference. My sketching could have been a bit cleaner, but there you go. Probably have a stronger theme too, I was at a loss as to what to categorise my design under.

Also, what the previous poster is saying is very important! You're given a copy of Solidworks to plan out or practice on, NOT to do the project at home! Don't get caught out on something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

Kieran,
    DO NOT undertake the solidworks part of the assignment at home. Last year there were 15 students whose projects came under investigation by the SEC because of "irregularities" in their projects, i.e. projects were completed on machines other than school based computers. As with all computer docs the properties of each part can be checked very quickly and easily. By all means do all of your design/research, freehand etc at home but all solidworks components must be completed in school. Ask your teacher for use of the facilities after/before school if you want to do some extra work, you may be surprised how accommadating MOST teachers are!

Thanks for that, im doing what I can in school and practising at home. Hope it goes well for me, school computers are getting worse everyday. Some people really need to cop the Fnck on!

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Fiendish Human

Do the sketches really need to be pasted or sketched directly onto the folio? I was going to scan them into the document so that they'd still appear in the PDF format which we need to include on the disk. Our teacher told us that if we included all the original sketches at the back of the project, we wouldn't run into any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

This project is a diaster for me altogether :(

• Advertisement

Do the sketches really need to be pasted or sketched directly onto the folio? I was going to scan them into the document so that they'd still appear in the PDF format which we need to include on the disk. Our teacher told us that if we included all the original sketches at the back of the project, we wouldn't run into any trouble.
    They have to be on the original portfolio. Way I did it was I made the portfolio and left spaces for the sketches, then did my drawings on the A3 sheets. If I made a mistake, I just have to print out another sheet and do it, but if you're careful it should be fine. Best to be safe than sorry with stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 antok93

anyone came up with concepts?

They have to be on the original portfolio. Way I did it was I made the portfolio and left spaces for the sketches, then did my drawings on the A3 sheets. If I made a mistake, I just have to print out another sheet and do it, but if you're careful it should be fine. Best to be safe than sorry with stuff like that.

Cheers :D I was wondering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RonanM93

I have my solidworks basicly done like all 5 parts but no pump how vital is it to have a pump??

Where doing every single part of the bottle for some reason :confused:

so do you have a very detailed pump system?

I've seen a few projects from previous year groups and they all have fancy sketches for things like titles and page borders. In the interest of saving time, can I leave out all the fancy stuff and just make a simple project with simple underlined titles and still get the same amount of marks? It confuses me how much effort people go to, to make the page look pretty, if it doesn't get you any additional marks. I'd much rather stick to black and white Times New Roman font, nothing fancy if I can... Any thoughts?

@Fiendish Human I agree with you but like there is over all layout marks given to the examiner in the marking schemes so like do a plain project at first and if you have time at the end go back and jazz it up? That extra bit of colour might add a few marks or even a grade?

RonanM93 wrote: »
    so do you have a very detailed pump system?

Pretty much yeah. Im still in the middle of making it though

I've seen a few projects from previous year groups and they all have fancy sketches for things like titles and page borders. In the interest of saving time, can I leave out all the fancy stuff and just make a simple project with simple underlined titles and still get the same amount of marks? It confuses me how much effort people go to, to make the page look pretty, if it doesn't get you any additional marks. I'd much rather stick to black and white Times New Roman font, nothing fancy if I can... Any thoughts?
    Technically if you match the criteria given, you'll get full marks, but when an examiner has to go through a lot of these projects, first impressions can really make a difference. A brief that is very appealing can stand out from the others and will put you in favour of getting the marks that could boost a grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I'm just finished my 3d model fully, it has 6 parts. Glass upper part, outer metal sheath, diffuser, spring, cap, tube. What's next to do on output 4/5?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Can anyone please help me download Solidworks on 't4.ie'. My teacher gave me three codes and that is it, no CD. Any help?

Irish94 wrote: »
    Can anyone please help me download Solidworks on 't4.ie'. My teacher gave me three codes and that is it, no CD. Any help?

Download Form Here --> http://www.solidworks.com/sw/education/SDL_form.html

Solidworks Corp. are very protective over their software, that's why they have all the codes. It may take 2 hours in total to download and install. Once you fill out the form I've linked to you and successfully downloaded the Solidworks Installer, go to your downloads folder and run the application. Once you have ran the application it will ask you for a second code which Solidworks Corp. should have emailed you after filling out the first form. Click the next button a few times, agree to all the conditions and then leave your computer for 2 hours to let it do its thing. When it's finished an icon should appear on your desktop for Solidworks.

PS. Solidworks is a Windows executable program it will not work with Macs or Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Limerickham

What way are we supposed to do the candidate identifier (exam number) this year???? We won't have our exam numbers in time

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

What way are we supposed to do the candidate identifier (exam number) this year???? We won't have our exam numbers in time
    Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Limerickham

numbers come out after project is submitted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will have to sign a form (P2 I think) stating that what you are submitting is entirely your own work. This should have the numbers on it - it does for all the other subjects with a practical element.
    Who told you you wouldn't have your number in time?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

numbers come out after project is submitted
    No they dont, You'll have your exam number in time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Huho

pajero12 wrote: »
    No they dont, You'll have your exam number in time!

You won't have it in time, you have to put your name and date of birth in instead.

Advertisement