Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCO Ireland and 3

Options
  • 08-09-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I've just gotten a phone call from my mother saying I've gotten a letter in the door from NCO Debt Collectors threatening court action if I do not pay the amount owed to 3 (I had mobile broadband with them) within 7 days. I owe €68 apparently. I tried to call them to explain the issue I had with 3 but it's going through to an answering machine (at 3PM???). Can they really take me to court over 70 quid? And blacklist me for the next 6 years? I wasn't getting any coverage from 3 when I moved house, they were uncooperative, and I didn't think they would go this far over such a small amount. I've also had cards saying a debt collector would call on certain dates, no-one has ever called to my mother's house (they don't have my actual address or phone number).

Anyone know what I might need to do next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

How about, you pay your bill? Seems the obvious answer. We'd all like to just walk away from our bills, but it doesn't work that way.

It was your decision to move, and a mobile service won't work everywhere. If you left without cancelling properly, and worked up a bill, then pay that bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'm not disputing the money owed, I'm asking if they are likely to take me to court in seven days over 70 euros, since I am ringing them as requested and they won't pick up the phone in the middle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Leave a message on the machine and give a day or two to return your call. Try again if nothing happens. They are not likely to do anything against you in a rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

unless they have sold on your debt, you should only deal with 3.
    these "debt collectors" are usually just used to scare people into paying, but unless they bought the debt off 3, they have zero power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't deal with the collector, deal with Three only, as your debt is with them and no one else.

As to whether they'd go to court over €70, highly unlikely. It would cost them more than that to bring you to court. Anything about blacklisting you is also BS. Three may bar you from any of their services, but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ah, that's alright then - all I was worried about is that I wouldn't come to an agreement with them before action was taken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buddhistpunk31

If something like this goes to court and there's a judgement against op she will be liable for costs. The debt may only be 200 euro odd but the legal fees will bump that up quite substantially. The total owed once judgement is obtained could be around €2000.

The easiest thing would be just to pay it and be done with it. The debt collector might settle for 100 or 150 to clear off the debt and stop legal proceedings.

I got a similar threat saying 'we may instruct a debt recovery agent to recover this debt. this may result in legal costs which will be added to your outstanding balance.'

Does anyone have experience of this happening or know if this is possible?

my debt is only E90, but i did go on the phone and say i would send them a postal order.
    i never got around to it, and now i'm broke.

surely they wouldn't take me to court for this amount, then the judge pile on the legal fees......!?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Ah, that's alright then - all I was worried about is that I wouldn't come to an agreement with them before action was taken!

how did that work out for you?

im in a similar situation, owe them E90, and got a threat from NCO to start litigation against me.

Just wondering is it scare tactics or should i try pay my debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I got a similar threat saying 'we may instruct a debt recovery agent to recover this debt. this may result in legal costs which will be added to your outstanding balance.'

Does anyone have experience of this happening or know if this is possible?

my debt is only E90, but i did go on the phone and say i would send them a postal order.
    i never got around to it, and now i'm broke.

surely they wouldn't take me to court for this amount, then the judge pile on the legal fees......!?

You are right - they will not take you to Court for 90 Euro. The best thing for you to do is call them now and offer to pay 5 Euro per month - tell them that is all you can afford. (Of course if you can afford more than a fiver per month, then offer them that).

Maybe send your offer in writing. Remember, if you can show that you are making a real effort to come to an agreement/make repayments, then they'll be lenient and accept your offer. But if on the other hand you make no real effort and don't bother to pay anything at all, well then you deserve to be taken to Court to be honest.

thanks for that,

perhaps I do deserve court .... ,
    and perhaps I deserved a better broadband service provider after the sales pitch I got. :)

• Advertisement

or should i try pay my debt?

In short yes, but pay your debt with 3.

buddhistpunk31 I've moved your posts into one thread. Please do not cross post on the same topic in different threads.

dudara

Advertisement