Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being mean and cynical?!!

Options
  • 08-09-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I'm guessing the answer to my question is yes!!

I was walking by Jokers earlier and noticed a big poster on their front door advertising a event fundraising for a homeless charity......I had to do a double take! Basically, a young girl from Greystones who goes to a very exclusive girls' school in Dublin is 'sleeping rough' for the night. Very laudible you might say but the title of her poster is 'Hobo-for-a-Day'!! Am I being a little sensitive or is this not incredibly patronising?Reeks of self-indulgence too. I'd question her teachers and parents judgement on the title and the whole project.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

It might be a bit patronising but fair play to her. If the charity dont have a problem with it then I dont see any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Yeah fair point.

I should have said that as well as being a bit surprised by the poster I also found it pretty hilarious! Has anyone seen Australian 'mockumentary' comedy gold- Summer Heights High? It reminded me of one of the characters- Jam'ie King!! If you haven't seen the programme I couldn't recommend it highly enough- one of the funniest things on tv in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRu5kuqkNU

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I agree hobo is not the best choice of words but good luck to the young lass. At least she is getting off her arse and doing something.

In my opinion it is not relevant what school she goes to and I find it unfair to draw attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Notable people who have hoboed
    Charles Bukowski
    Raul Hector Castro
    Joe Coleman
    Ted Conover
    Edward Dahlberg
    W. H. Davies
    Jack Dempsey
    U Dhammaloka
    Seth Isaac Goodwin
    Loren Eiseley
    Charles Fort
    Woody Guthrie
    Beck Hansen
    Eric Hoffer
    Burl Ives
    Harry Kemp
    Jack Kerouac
    Louis L'amour
    Art Linkletter
    Jack London
    Rod McKuen
    James Michener
    Robert Mitchum
    Eugene O'Neill
    George Orwell
    Harry Partch
    Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema
    John Steinbeck
    Aidan Walsh (Oranmore)
    Dale Wasserman

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

Sounds like something yer wan from Summer Heights High would do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In my opinion it is not relevant what school she goes to and I find it unfair to draw attention to it.

Agreed - no more references to her school please

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I don't see any problem with the word hobo. Being a hobo was a way of life for people. Personally, I would love to try out the "hobo" lifestyle (in old America at least... too cold in Ireland).

There is certainly a lot worse things people could be called.

You can check out the history and meaning of the word here.

I agree with the OP that it was probably the wrong word to use here. Insofar as the word has been used out of context.

Advertisement