Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runic Games - Pricing Policy

Options
  • 08-09-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Wish there was more developers like this...

Recently they've announced that Torchlight II will be priced at €20 (about €14). That's an excellent price for a full game, especially if it's as good as the original.

Given the choice, I would always buy this game from them rather than pirate it (not that I ever download pirate versions of games). I think it's important to support decent developers who charge fairly for their products, as it may help convince greedy developers to stop charging €40-€60 for half-finished games.

Would buy more games if they were cheaper? And do you actively try to support certain developers because of their policies/pricing etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Not to stray too far from the topic but Torchlight isn't a particularly good example to use when it comes to the issue of pricing for a couple of reasons.

For starters, the studio is quite small by modern standards. When Torchlight was released they had about 30 members of staff including management.

The game took only 11 months to complete, again remarkably short by modern standards.

Both the rendering and UI elements of their in-house engine are powered by open source software, namely Ogre and CEGUI respectively. This would have saved a lot of time and money on such a project.

Now, that's not to say it reflects negatively on the studio, if anything both they and their successes should be celebrated because of them, it's just not really fair to use them when comparing them to other AAA games from a pricing perspective.

To answer your question though, I doubt I'd buy more games if they were cheaper since I pretty much buy any good game that comes out anyway. Any game that doesn't get purchased on release is picked up later on and is only delayed due to the fact that I'm probably working through a stack of older games. As for supporting developers because of their polices, well I don't know what you mean by that, if you mean pricing then no, it doesn't affect my decision in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Wasn't torchlight one of the most widely pirated games as well. Afaik they did not use any drm.
    Another good game that was moderately priced was Braid and it was heavily pirated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nobody will top CD projekt RED. my favorite developer so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

D wrote: »
    Wasn't torchlight one of the most widely pirated games as well. Afaik they did not use any drm.
    Another good game that was moderately priced was Braid and it was heavily pirated too.

let's not forget the debacle with the humble indy bundle.

Y'know, the bundle that was set your own price, DRM free and for charity.

And now that I've remembered that, I'm off to the angry dome.

Advertisement