Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk collection, like the old days

Options
  • 08-09-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the council ever collect junk from the roadside?

Where I grew up (Dublin 9) the council had an annual (I think) collection and everyone would put out old bikes, furniture, toys, appliances etc.

Was always fun having a poke through it and watching some items being hauled away :p
    One Man's Rubbish Is Another Man's Treasure!

Can't find anything on the Fingal coco web site regarding this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Does anyone know if the council ever collect junk from the roadside?

Where I grew up (Dublin 9) the council had an annual (I think) collection and everyone would put out old bikes, furniture, toys, appliances etc.

Was always fun having a poke through it and watching some items being hauled away :p
    One Man's Rubbish Is Another Man's Treasure!

Can't find anything on the Fingal coco web site regarding this.

Progress, you can drop most of the above to the Local Civic Amentity yourself(Swords, details below) or with Electric goods the retailer must take your old cooker etc

http://www.weeeireland.ie/consumers.htm
    Since the introduction of the WEEE Regulations 2005 Consumers can bring their unwanted electrical and electronic equipment to their local Civic Amenity centres for recycling free of charge.
    The WEEE Ireland map gives details of Civic Amenity centres nationwide with WEEE collection facilities.
    In addition Consumers can bring back WEEE within 15 days to Retailers when they purchase new equipment on a like for like basis.
    Retailers are also obliged to collect WEEE within 15 days of delivery of a new item, provided the item is disconnected from all mains, does not pose a health and safety risk and is readily available for collection.
    Retailers must give 24 hours notice prior to the collection of WEEE.
    If 24 hours notice is not given, retailers are obliged to collect WEEE within 15 days of delivery of a new item, provided the item is disconnected from all mains, does not pose a health and safety risk and is readily available for collection. If the item does not meet these requirements, the consumer may return their WEEE to the Retailer themselves within 30 days of the date of delivery.
    Consumers can bring used batteries and accumulators to Retailers free of charge as long as the batteries and accumulators are of equivalent type available to purchase from the premises. There is no requirement for a purchase to be made.
    Retailers may limit any one consumer to 5kgs of battery returns at any one time and may refuse to accept any waste portable battery leaking any of its constituent materials.
    Consumers can also bring their used batteries and accumulators to their local Civic Amenity centres for recycling free of charge.

Estuary Civic Amenity Site
    Seatown East
    Swords,
    Co. Dublin
    Main Contact
    Alain Kerveillant,
    01 8905000
    akerveillant@fingalcoco.ie
    Public Opening Hours
    9.00-4.00: Weds - Thurs - Fri- Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Good stuff thanks.
    The collections were handy for the elderly and non car owners though.

When I was a kid, I must have built 20 bikes from the parts being scrapped over the years.
    Once picked out an old Atari games system too, complete with cartridge and joystick. Exploded with joy when I took it home and it worked :D

Reduce, reuse, recycle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Good stuff thanks.
    The collections were handy for the elderly and non car owners though.

When I was a kid, I must have built 20 bikes from the parts being scrapped over the years.
    Once picked out an old Atari games system too, complete with cartridge and joystick. Exploded with joy when I took it home and it worked :D

Reduce, reuse, recycle ;)

Unfortunately they don't let you take any of the electronics home from the Civic Amenity. I be there a lot and am :eek: amazed at some of the stuff thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A few years ago I wanted to dispose of a very large mattress. I telephoned FCC and they said to pin 2 bin tags to it and leave it on the driveway and that they would send a van around to collect it. When I came home from work that evening, it was gone.

I don't know if they still do that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Just saw a sign for free WEEE recycling today at Tesco, Rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Off-topic posts about junk collections in other areas have been removed from this thread.

Please only post about junk collections in DCN.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I have some old toys left behind by a previous tenant that I am sick of looking at and want to get rid of.

The toys themselves are a variety of large plastics, like a toy stroller, toy hoover, toy cooker etc....

Does anyone know if this place takes this kind of thing or do they only take electrical stuff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have some old toys left behind by a previous tenant that I am sick of looking at and want to get rid of.

The toys themselves are a variety of large plastics, like a toy stroller, toy hoover, toy cooker etc....

Does anyone know if this place takes this kind of thing or do they only take electrical stuff?

Any of the charity shops would probably be glad to have them. Cathy01 is involved with the Autism and ADHD charity shops, you could drop her a pm and see if they want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Any of the charity shops would probably be glad to have them. Cathy01 is involved with the Autism and ADHD charity shops, you could drop her a pm and see if they want them.

Thanks, I won't take them to charity shop, they were dumped by previous tenant and have been left out in the elements for a few months now so I don't think it'd be very good of me.

I check with the amenity centre and sure enough they will take them from me, even though I have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Thanks, I won't take them to charity shop, they were dumped by previous tenant and have been left out in the elements for a few months now so I don't think it'd be very good of me.

I check with the amenity centre and sure enough they will take them from me, even though I have to pay.

Could some of them be chopped up and put in the green bin collection, if they have the recycle triangle on them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement