Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use Sim and then Port

Options
  • 08-09-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I can't seem to find an answer in the other porting threads, but sorry if it's duplicating things.

Is it possible to buy a sim to try out the network, and then if after a week I'm happy, then port my existing number to the sim I bought?

I would rather do that than port my number, realise the new network is no use and then have to port back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea can do it no problem, but in reality it's as handy just port and if it's rubbish just port somewhere else. You can't properly test a sim unless your a network engineer.
    Even a simple network search at home on your current phone will tell you all the networks you have access to at home if you have a 3G compatible phone.
    All the network have talk and text coverage nearly everywhere now so it's really good 3G coverage your looking for these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Yea can do it no problem, but in reality it's as handy just port and if it's rubbish just port somewhere else. You can't properly test a sim unless your a network engineer.
    Even a simple network search at home on your current phone will tell you all the networks you have access to at home if you have a 3G compatible phone.
    All the network have talk and text coverage nearly everywhere now so it's really good 3G coverage your looking for these days.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I don't mean test the sim itself, like you said; it's the actual 3g user performance I want to check, download speeds throughout the day and all that jazz.

I just thought that if I had been using the new sim card for a while, then it would prevent me from porting my current number over.
    I thought it might have to be a fresh sim card, for want of a better word.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No you can just get a sim with a new number and you can port to it anytime you want. You won't get a feel for it in a week, signal can be up and down like a yo yo. Just take your chances with the best offer and check to make sure you've 3G signal where you'll be using it most. Your local shop should be able to tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

That's grand so..

Just want to try it out between work, house and other usual placels.

Although my local shop wouldn't be the first place I'd go for an honest review of network performance!

Thanks for the help and information.

Advertisement