Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A use for old engine oil ???

• 08-09-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Just serviced my car. Rather than taking the old oil to my recycling centre, I got to thinking.....

I have a trailer made from hollow steel beam. I went about waxoyl'ing it before but nearly stopped breathing when I discovered the price of waxoyl. So I'm wondering could I mix something in with the old engine oil to thicken it to ...perhaps a paste consistency then then pour / inject / brush that into the beam cavities?

What to mix with it though? I'd be weary of using anything organic such as flour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

I've had success with mixing used engine oil with bitumastic paint. It's a fair bit cheaper than waxoyl to start with, and if you mix enough engine oil in, it'll be liquid enough to get into hard to reach places.

Failing that, if you can get a hold of an air compressor and spray gun, body schutz is the job :) Not much use for your engine oil though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

I've had success with mixing used engine oil with bitumastic paint. It's a fair bit cheaper than waxoyl to start with, and if you mix enough engine oil in, it'll be liquid enough to get into hard to reach places.

Failing that, if you can get a hold of an air compressor and spray gun, body schutz is the job :) Not much use for your engine oil though...

Bitumen paint wont thicken it much though. I'd like to thicken it. What with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Back in the day my father would mix used motor oil with sawdust and turf-dust and burn it in the range, it was also used to treat rust. Far better than pouring it down the drain in either case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can use it on fences too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »

I'd like to see some solid info on this. Never heard of it before. I thought pouring oil onto the ground was a no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Pique wrote: »

I saw fight club too....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Can you filter it and pour it in to your home oil heating tank at say a ratio of 100 to 1?

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Can you filter it and pour it in to your home oil heating tank at say a ratio of 100 to 1?

really, is this safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dnme wrote: »
    I'd like to see some solid info on this. Never heard of it before. I thought pouring oil onto the ground was a no no.

True. It's illegal.

• Advertisement

really, is this safe?

Cant see why not. A lot of internal combustion engines burn oil with little effect. I used to have a car that burned more oil than petrol :-). IC engines are a lot more complicated than a diesel burner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If you want paint, buy paint. If you want to recycle oil, recycle oil.

Paint is meant to stick to stuff - oil is meant to stop stuff sticking together. Last thing you want is ground water contamination that forces you and your neighbours to live off bottled water for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Cant see why not. A lot of internal combustion engines burn oil with little effect. I used to have a car that burned more oil than petrol :-). IC engines are a lot more complicated than a diesel burner

God that is some really awful advice.
    For one thing, when your car was burning oil it was probably coming into the cylinder via worn piston rings. It was definitely not coming through the fuel injection assembly.

If you added engine oil to a home heating oil tank you could clog the fuel filter or damage the nozzle.

All about burner nozzles (pdf) - they are tuned to expect a particular grade of fuel oil, so don't throw engine oil into the mix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Don't pour it down the drain either ! Dosen't anyone care about the environment any more.

As for uses, you could use it for oiling stuff, bike chains, hinges etc..

Too be honest, just throw it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

We used to paint the old farm machinery with it every year to keep rust at bay.

Worked a treat. We also used it as a wood preserver for stakes on the farm and it worked well on the bits buried under the ground

There's a lot of crap being spoken here. I'd never just throw it out, or pour it on the ground. I already have a use for it....I want to pour it in a thickened state, into the cavities of my steel beam trailer.

The question was...AND IS! . . .What to use to thicken it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Another thing we used it for years ago, was painting it onto ringworm on calves. It worked and no reactions.

Whatever you do guys, do not just dispose of used oil, especially if it's going to get into the ground, or watercourse. If it's ever traced back to you, you're in really serious trouble, with a massive fine and the clean up bill, plus an EPS survey of the surrounding ground area. I am not joking, please believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

People used to brush it on horses hooves to toughen them up.
    But that is probably not common anymore.

Engine oil can be recycled, Civic Amenity sites will take it but I believe there is a charge, the answer is just a phone call/email away.
    Personally I think it should be accepted for free at civic amenity sites as it is quite nasty stuff and a known carcinogenic.

Valvoline recycled engine oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

headmaster wrote: »
    Another thing we used it for years ago, was painting it onto ringworm on calves. It worked and no reactions.
    As did we.

We mixed it with bluestone and butter to make a paste......OP that may be what your looking for.

• Advertisement

God that is some really awful advice.
    For one thing, when your car was burning oil it was probably coming into the cylinder via worn piston rings. It was definitely not coming through the fuel injection assembly.

If you added engine oil to a home heating oil tank you could clog the fuel filter or damage the nozzle.

All about burner nozzles (pdf) - they are tuned to expect a particular grade of fuel oil, so don't throw engine oil into the mix!

There was a Q mark...I like the opinion of experts.Not an expert but is diesel not an oil that is injected? I said a ratio of 100-1. Used engine oil and diesel are both oils. I somehow doubt a 1% dilution would even be noticed. I would imagine adding cooking oil (used or new)would not have an adverse effect either..Could you back up your facts with when a 1% dilution with an other oil would clog a fuel filter or damage an injector. I will quote

2. Metering A nozzle is so designed and dimensioned that it
    will deliver a fixed amount of atomized fuel to the
    combustion chamber…within approximately plus or minus
    5% of rated capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

isnt it5 supposed to be a carcenagen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There was a Q mark...I like the opinion of experts.Not an expert but is diesel not an oil that is injected? I said a ratio of 100-1. Used engine oil and diesel are both oils. I somehow doubt a 1% dilution would even be noticed. I would imagine adding cooking oil (used or new)would not have an adverse effect either..Could you back up your facts with when a 1% dilution with an other oil would clog a fuel filter or damage an injector. I will quote

2. Metering A nozzle is so designed and dimensioned that it
    will deliver a fixed amount of atomized fuel to the
    combustion chamber…within approximately plus or minus
    5% of rated capacity
    wouldnt the two oils just seperate in the tank , as in the lighter one will float or whatever then it wont be a mix?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Another thing we used it for years ago, was painting it onto ringworm on calves. It worked and no reactions

When I was younger we had a terrier dog who used to suffer terribly from various skin irritations and a homemade remedy was to paint the effected area with a mixture of burnt oil and sulphur (available from the chemist) another remedy was Benzen Benzoate for scabies in humans. Eventually the vet diagnosed her with Demodectic Meange which she caught from other dogs but there was nothing that could be done really. The poor little dog lived away and died aged 15 human years. I hadn't thought of that now for years until you mentioned painting calves. I miss my little dog now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

There's a lot of crap being spoken here. I'd never just throw it out, or pour it on the ground. I already have a use for it....I want to pour it in a thickened state, into the cavities of my steel beam trailer.

There's not been much by way of suitable answers because to be honest it's a pretty stupid and awkward idea. As has already been said, motor oil is designed not to be thick or sticky, and to remain an effective lubricant under conditions of intense heat and friction. You could expend a lot of thought, time and effort trying to somehoe thicken this waste oil and using it for a purpose to which it's not suited and still end up with a result that's not even half arsed more like quarter arsed.

The best thing that's been said so far is the bit about "painting" it on regularly as often used to be done with old machinery/ metal gates etc

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    There's not been much by way of suitable answers because to be honest it's a pretty stupid and awkward idea.

As has already been said, motor oil is designed not to be thick or sticky, and to remain an effective lubricant under conditions of intense heat and friction. You could expend a lot of thought, time and effort trying to somehoe thicken this waste oil and using it for a purpose to which it's not suited and still end up with a result that's not even half arsed more like quarter arsed.

:confused:

Oil is designed to lubricate, protect and cling to metal. I wish to use it for the latter two, and simply thicken it a bit so that it clings better to the steel. I also like the idea of recycling and reuse. That's all! Simple as! But thank you for your kindness and consideration.

:confused:

Oil is designed to lubricate, protect and cling to metal. I wish to use it for the latter two, and simply thicken it a bit so that it clings better to the steel. I also like the idea of recycling and reuse. That's all! Simple as! But thank you for your kindness and consideration.

Of course it protects metal, and stays on the surface of it, but it still has to be thin and light enough not to cause too much resistance or fail to circulate around the engine.

Consideration?.... well i considered your idea and though it was a pretty bad and impractical one. Wanting to recycle/re-use old motor oil is fine, no problem with that, but trying to make it into waxoil is a waste of time.

If you want to re-use to why not either get a waste oil burner, or adapt an old generator/stationary engine/water pump or similar to run on it?
    Or do as others suggested, use to to paint posts, protect the surface of rusty old machines or something.

as for kindness.... there was no unkindness in my post. Sure i wasn't sugary sweet and full of joyful enthusiasm and indicated that i thought it was a stupid idea but you must find it very tough dealing with people if you take someone knocking your idea as being deliberately unkind, that's a bit extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Mix it with vasoline and sugar.

Of course it protects metal, and stays on the surface of it, but it still has to be thin and light enough not to cause too much resistance or fail to circulate around the engine.

Consideration?.... well i considered your idea and though it was a pretty bad and impractical one. Wanting to recycle/re-use old motor oil is fine, no problem with that, but trying to make it into waxoil is a waste of time.

If you want to re-use to why not either get a waste oil burner, or adapt an old generator/stationary engine/water pump or similar to run on it?
    Or do as others suggested, use to to paint posts, protect the surface of rusty old machines or something.

as for kindness.... there was no unkindness in my post. Sure i wasn't sugary sweet and full of joyful enthusiasm and indicated that i thought it was a stupid idea but you must find it very tough dealing with people if you take someone knocking your idea as being deliberately unkind, that's a bit extreme

neyeaahh! Night now!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Sell it to RX-8 drivers...

I joke :p

neyeaahh! Night now!

Whatever that nonsensical babbling is meant to be, it'd be better if you actually tried to communicate like a human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There are various solidifiers & coagulants that will thicken oil but most would be only available on an industrial scale Im sure. I like the idea of using it in this way but its not worth while unless you can find a diy solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

OP, I would try heating a fatty solid such as lard, until it becomes a hot liquid, and then mix with the used oil.
    I would image as this mix cools, it should thicken into a jelly-like substance.

If it was me, Id give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

jeez some of the old farm hands are so innovative. re-use re- cycle, old trad secrets.
    i just fill a five gallon drum, and then off to the recycling centre with it.

i wonder can you use this re-cyc method with other things, like
    what do you do with the annual bath tub water?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I know two people who use used engine oil to fuel their central heating. They even collect oil off garages, and the garages then don't have to pay to have the oil disposed of. Genius. Although the back smoke that comes out of it is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

I mix old engine oil with Creocote (creosote substitute) and paint my fence with it - lovely and black!

I think a lot of stud farms do it too - stops the horses chewing the fence apparently!

Whatever that nonsensical babbling is meant to be, it'd be better if you actually tried to communicate like a human.

Righteo, thanks again!

Ok folks, I reckon it's not worth the hassle. Off to the civic amenity centre as per usual I guess. Still...it was worth askin. Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

... much appreciated.
    Never at any point did your replies suggest so! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

We mix it with the new creosote substitute thats is very watery and use it to paint the sleepers in the garden.

• Advertisement

?
    You've lost me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

?
    You've lost me.

well? what about that bathwater.

well? what about that bathwater.

?
    you too have lost me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

?
    you too have lost me.

He's telling you that you could do with a good solid kick in the arse. Ok ?;)

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Cop on ffs.
    Why?

No point fanning the flames.

The OP has got the information they need. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement