Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Analytics not reporting.

Options
  • 08-09-2011 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

I have asked this over the developer forum but somebody here might be able to help me with this one. Have a Joomla site with Google Analytics installed and was working fine (green tick). Site gets an average 300 visits per day and then just dropped to 7 then zero.. All of a sudden it's dropped to zero.

Checked on the code and it's present and the dashboard says it's tracking. Google Webmaster is not indicating any problems.

Any ideas what the problem maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Here is a few areas i'd look at to narrow down the field, some may seem very juvenile, but they are worth checking anyway! :

Have you any analytics profiles setup - if so, are the set up correct and/or filtering

On your joomla pages is you view source - is the code there (i know that sounds a little obvious - i had a site and one of two of the includes we left with analytic code coz 'somebody' edited the files :( )

Just check each section, main page, category, articles, labels etc and view source in each case.

Make sure the code is exactly the same as the code given to you.

Try that and see.

Sorry Im flying blind here - the best I can do.

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Always good starting with the basics! See if it's still plugged in!

Code was reporting perfectly until a few days and dropped to zero. Analytics has the green tick and says it's tracking.

The code is via a plugin and is across the site. Seems to be there in view source with random checks.

The odd thing is that one page isn't a part of the Joomla CMS, has the code on it but isn't reporting either.

Well two things: are u actually getting visitors? Strange but interesting question.

Webmaster tools in ur queries will log impressions and ur click through rate - what's the read there.

Outside that it seems like a google reporting issue

Yeah it was getting 300-500 a day. Then to zip. Not even registering my own visits!
    Webmaster tools in ur queries will log impressions and ur click through rate - what's the read there.
    is that in Analytics or Webmasters?

Tools, the data collected there is separate to GA

Go in to the Webmaster tools and on ur dashboard there is a panel for search queries In there u will see impressions and clicks - so it will show u click throughs - it's a quick workaround.

Another point: the mod might be acting up - I'd be inclined to disable it and put the ga code direct into ur template at the <head>, just to eleminate that side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Were u literally de-indexed by google ??
    Possibly not because you still would get small traffic from bing yahoo and other sources.

No, the site searches fine in Google. It's there.

@IRE60 Checked in Webmaster 345 queries, 170K impressions, 3500 clicks. Nothing to indicate that it's falling off. No malware, no warning messages and the site was checked for speed on Sept 8th.

I'm baffled.

Grand, now limit the search to the last few days, when GA started to act up. See if there are hits and impressions for, say, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

If there are, then its an analytics issue - ie their reporting and not your site. And more so ion the fact that your own footprint isn't being registered.

I'd still take the GA code out of the module and stick it direct into the template to see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

IRE60 wrote: »
    I'd still take the GA code out of the module and stick it direct into the template to see if that works.

Do this^^^

I'd put the code into the head and lose the plugin.

You sound like you probably know this already but to save a post just in case within Joomla admin go to:

1. Extensions
    2. Template manager
    3. Select your templtae
    4. Top right you'll see "Edit HTML"
    5. Within HTML editor paste the code GA will give you before the </head> tag
    6. Hit "Save" and you're done

Ok, good news it's started reporting normally again.

Had being back over changes had been made around the time of the and disabling them one by one and found the one that seems to be causing the issue.

I had put a few extra security plugins to stop the huge amount of automated registrations that we'd be getting in the past few days. Turns out it was a plugin in for optimising the site for mobile use that was the issue. The thing that through me is that there is a page outside the CMS that has GA on it and it wasn't reporting either.

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement