Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do?

• 08-09-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello folks.

I recently graduated with a 2.1 degree in Engineering. I have been applying for jobs non stop for about 5 months now. I've had a few face to face interviews & lots of phone interviews but no luck afterwards. I honestly don't know what the employers are looking for. I have a good academic background and experience from my 8 month co-operative education. I'm also a very practical person and not just an academic clown.
    The thing is most of my friends from my course actually got jobs. Many of them only scraped through college, have f*ck all skills to be honest and landed jobs in Ireland very shortly afterwards.
    So seeing that my friends already have jobs I would have to travel alone if I was to look for jobs abroad. I would love to work abroad but have no one to go with.
    So what should I do? Should I stay in ireland & keep searching or should I just head off to a different country on my own?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

To each their own. There is no right answer.
    A lot of people are emigrating, there is work in the world.
    A lot of people are pushing through and hoping to find work - interships?
    Either way, I think one of the most important things is not to let the whole world / not working destroy your hope and creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 whosyour_daddy

Thanks for the reply.
    I haven't lost hope yet, just surprised at how fast some people landed jobs. What I'm looking for is someone who was in my shoes previously and could give some advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 blackie4

Hi:

I'm a mature student with a master's in history, but have had no luck in finding any kind of work. Can someone recommend job websites or know if I'm eligible to do substitute teaching, etc. I would really appreciate some tips or advice on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lamrin

Hi,

Searching for jobs can be really disheartening if you find no success. But keep your chin up, the country is in a bad state of affairs when it comes to unemployment, so keep a positive attitude that you have the skills someone is looking for.

You firstly mention your grades and good academic record. This is to be commended, but employers are looking for people that have strong workplace skills. People that have the ability to start the job form day one, without spending lots of money on expensive training. In an interview, you need to sell your work experience, and how it qualifies you to do the job. Although employers are very interested to hear about your strong academic record, they want to see how this translates into skills, as it is not likely you will be doing anything purely academic at work. Say how your research skills can be used on projects at work, or something directly work related. Use the points on the job description, and back each one up with two examples of what you have done before, write down each point on the job description and answer each one with examples:

e.g. Person must be able to liaise with architects and subcontractors:

I liaised with architects and subcontractors when . . . . . . .

I liaised with external clients when . . . . . . . . .

Take these notes with you into the interview if you need to. They will ask you questions about the job description and person spec.

You could also try to look for voluntary positions. It is easier for people in work to get a new job, than those who are unemployed. You may also make some contacts who will recommend you for a job. Working on a voluntary basis also proves to employers that you have the drive to work and earn a living.

Going abroad is an option for you, but you want to be sure that it is the right decision for you, and you are not just using it as an easy way out or an escape. Research your destination and the job market there thoroughly, don't just rely on other people's accounts of what life might be like abroad. If you can clearly see that you will secure employment it might be the path for you - but there are never any guarantees.

You could consider going into Postgraduate study also.

Thanks
    Lamrin

Lamrin wrote: »
    Hi,

Searching for jobs can be really disheartening if you find no success. But keep your chin up, the country is in a bad state of affairs when it comes to unemployment, so keep a positive attitude that you have the skills someone is looking for.

You firstly mention your grades and good academic record. This is to be commended, but employers are looking for people that have strong workplace skills. People that have the ability to start the job form day one, without spending lots of money on expensive training. In an interview, you need to sell your work experience, and how it qualifies you to do the job. Although employers are very interested to hear about your strong academic record, they want to see how this translates into skills, as it is not likely you will be doing anything purely academic at work. Say how your research skills can be used on projects at work, or something directly work related. Use the points on the job description, and back each one up with two examples of what you have done before, write down each point on the job description and answer each one with examples:

e.g. Person must be able to liaise with architects and subcontractors:

I liaised with architects and subcontractors when . . . . . . .

I liaised with external clients when . . . . . . . . .

Take these notes with you into the interview if you need to. They will ask you questions about the job description and person spec.

You could also try to look for voluntary positions. It is easier for people in work to get a new job, than those who are unemployed. You may also make some contacts who will recommend you for a job. Working on a voluntary basis also proves to employers that you have the drive to work and earn a living.

Going abroad is an option for you, but you want to be sure that it is the right decision for you, and you are not just using it as an easy way out or an escape. Research your destination and the job market there thoroughly, don't just rely on other people's accounts of what life might be like abroad. If you can clearly see that you will secure employment it might be the path for you - but there are never any guarantees.

You could consider going into Postgraduate study also.

Thanks
    Lamrin

Thanks for the very helpful response Lamrin.
    I am beginning to realise that academic skills mean very little, as you have pointed out. I'm also beginning to realise that contacts are more important than just about anything for getting a job. My buddie revealed to me last saturday night after a few drinks that he got pulled into the job through his uncle:rolleyes:.
    Voluntary work is probably my best option if I chose to stay in Ireland and it would be a good way to expand the CV. However moving abroad is beginning to sound more and more appealing, especially as the weeks are just flying by. I am doing a lot of research before I commit to any travelling and it seems that Canada is not all that people make it out to be. With many returning home again and a crazy high cost of living. I am looking into moving to somewhere in Europe that has reasonable job prospects and a low cost of living. If things don't work out then I can fly back home in a couple of hours. If all else fails then I guess it's Australia, although it's kind of a last resort.

• Advertisement

Thought I would update my thread.
    So it's been around 6 weeks now and a few interviews later and still no job.
    I've been doing a TON of research on places to go that offer good work opportunities & reasonable cost of living. Here's what I've found so far:

Australia: Pros - Decent chance for a fresh graduate to get a job. Good salaries. Nice weather. lots of Irish out there

Cons - Absolutely crazy cost of living, especially rent... so I would have to find a job extremelly fast while my cash gets evaporated.
    - Have to pay for visa (and wait for it).
    - Very expensive flight.
    -Very much a succeed or die situation (i.e failing to get a job and coming home will cost thousands).
    -Very little visiting of family.
    -Don't know anyone out there.

Fort Mcmurray Canada (the oil sands area).
    Pros- Insane salaries for youngsters (prob highest anywhere in the world). Likely to get a job.

Cons- Live on a camp (a couple of notches up from prison from what I've researched).
    -You really earn your cash, 12-14 hour days, 14 consecutive days on 6 days off set up.
    -You have to fly "home" on your off days, otherwise you are charged for the "accomodation". So I would have to get a cheap motel or something on my off days. Really more suited to people who have their homes in nearby cities.
    -Absolute **** hole of a place with nothing to do and freezing dark days.
    -Little to no women there.
    -Cost of visa & flight.
    -Tons of drug addicts from the huge salaries & boredom. Nicknamed fort crack!

Calgary/Edmonton/Toronto Canada.
    Pros- Nice lifestyle. Lots of Irish. Better chance of getting employment than in Ireland.

Cons
    -High cost of living & rent.
    -Still Not great chance of getting employment compared to north Canada or Oz. Heard of lots of unsuccessful stories of people in southern Canada.
    -Cost of visa & flight.

Berlin Germany.
    Pros - Reasonable cost of living with especially low rent (low rent is very important to me while I'm searching for work).
    -Decent prospects for engineers (from what I've heard so far).
    -Speak a bit of German.
    -Very near. If all fails I can just fly home in a few hours.
    -No visa needed & moderately cheap flight.
    -Overall good ratio of income to cost of living.

Cons - Still don't speak great German, just enough to get by.
    -Only a moderate chance of getting a job I would imagine (but still much better chance than anywhere else in Europe).
    -Salaries are not mighty (not too picky though TBH, just want a job in my field ASAP!).
    -High tax.

So overall based on my research, I'm thinking Berlin at the moment. Seems to have the best reward to risk ratio.
    Any more feedback would be great. I appreciate it all.
    Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Don't feel too hard on yourself op. I finished my postgrad course over a year ago and still haven't found a job. Don't worry too much there are a lot of people like you and me in the same boat. I have done phone and face to face interviews but have had no such luck. Even applied to unpaid internships haven't had much luck so thinking off going back to college again when I don't know but it be before this decade is out. We Just have to keep on trying and hope that jobs will turn up. I've not stopped applying for jobs since I finished my course and nothing happening, its disheartening.

Employers have to say yes at some point!? Can't always be no and surely something might happen at the end of the tunnel! For every rejection the closer you are to landing a job.
    Guess the ones you applied for weren't the one for you. I always say things happen for a reason and are meant to be. That's life.

Competition is very fierce at the moment so even those who have 1's might not get a job either. Skills qualities and work experience is probably the most important thing other than qualifications but are you the right person for the job blend with the company and industry well and are you suited to the role. They just go with the best person that fits the job description or goes beyond it as well as ticking all the boxes rather than just a few. Some Employers don't want to have to train people up.

Don't give up hope. Keep at it something will happen. There might not be jobs or enough jobs out there in Ireland depending on your career field also sometimes meeting all job requirements is hard going too but never fear its just that there are not enough jobs to meet demand/enough jobs for everyone. So basically unpaid internships or going abroad or going back to college or setting up a business are the only feasible things to do.

Good luck op

doovdela wrote: »
    Don't feel too hard on yourself op. I finished my postgrad course over a year ago and still haven't found a job. Don't worry too much there are a lot of people like you and me in the same boat. I have done phone and face to face interviews but have had no such luck. Even applied to unpaid internships haven't had much luck so thinking off going back to college again when I don't know but it be before this decade is out. We Just have to keep on trying and hope that jobs will turn up. I've not stopped applying for jobs since I finished my course and nothing happening, its disheartening.

Employers have to say yes at some point!? Can't always be no and surely something might happen at the end of the tunnel! For every rejection the closer you are to landing a job.
    Guess the ones you applied for weren't the one for you. I always say things happen for a reason and are meant to be. That's life.

Competition is very fierce at the moment so even those who have 1's might not get a job either. Skills qualities and work experience is probably the most important thing other than qualifications but are you the right person for the job blend with the company and industry well and are you suited to the role. They just go with the best person that fits the job description or goes beyond it as well as ticking all the boxes rather than just a few. Some Employers don't want to have to train people up.

Don't give up hope. Keep at it something will happen. There might not be jobs or enough jobs out there in Ireland depending on your career field also sometimes meeting all job requirements is hard going too but never fear its just that there are not enough jobs to meet demand/enough jobs for everyone. So basically unpaid internships or going abroad or going back to college or setting up a business are the only feasible things to do.

Good luck op

Thanks doovdela, I appreciate the insight. Have you considered going abroad?
    I was pretty much set on going to Perth Australia but now I have flipped after more research and am strongly considering Calgary Canada. I must have made 30 phone calls to recruitment agencies across Canada & Australia and here's what I got:

Australia is generally doing well however there is fierce competition for graduate jobs. Also it is generally likely that you will work on a remote site (if you are an engineer) with 3-4 weeks on straight with 10-12 hour days / 1 week off (i.e traditional 9-5, mon-fri jobs are quite rare). I have been warned that while the money is good, you will have no life whatsoever. Seeing that I am young, I don't want to work my life a way, I want to have fun too:D.

Canada: The east part of Canada such as Toronto, Ottowa etc are in deep recession and I was told that I would have little hope of getting a job:eek:. This caught me by surprise. I was told that all the Toronto professionals are heading to Alberta by the bus load as the area is booming. So I made some phone calls to cities in Alberta & they pretty much confirmed that I would get a job very quickly there. Apparantly 50% of all graduates in Canada have no co-op education while in college and I was told that I would be in the more advantaged group of graduates with my 8 month internship. So that sounds promising. Also you would have a more traditional work/life balance (unless you go up north to Fort Mac) with decent money.

I still can't make up my mind on where to go but as they say, the hardest decision is the best decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Thanks doovdela, I appreciate the insight. Have you considered going abroad?
    I was pretty much set on going to Perth Australia but now I have flipped after more research and am strongly considering Calgary Canada. I must have made 30 phone calls to recruitment agencies across Canada & Australia and here's what I got:

Australia is generally doing well however there is fierce competition for graduate jobs. Also it is generally likely that you will work on a remote site (if you are an engineer) with 3-4 weeks on straight with 10-12 hour days / 1 week off (i.e traditional 9-5, mon-fri jobs are quite rare). I have been warned that while the money is good, you will have no life whatsoever. Seeing that I am young, I don't want to work my life a way, I want to have fun too:D.

Canada: The east part of Canada such as Toronto, Ottowa etc are in deep recession and I was told that I would have little hope of getting a job:eek:. This caught me by surprise. I was told that all the Toronto professionals are heading to Alberta by the bus load as the area is booming. So I made some phone calls to cities in Alberta & they pretty much confirmed that I would get a job very quickly there. Apparantly 50% of all graduates in Canada have no co-op education while in college and I was told that I would be in the more advantaged group of graduates with my 8 month internship. So that sounds promising. Also you would have a more traditional work/life balance (unless you go up north to Fort Mac) with decent money.

I still can't make up my mind on where to go but as they say, the hardest decision is the best decision!

Hey no problem. Thanks for the info aswell on Canada and Oz employment. A lot of my friends have gone out to Australia to work and had a few relations do the same. All my friends have come back though, though a few relations of mine decided to settle down in Oz and others in the States. Good money and good jobs for them but a lot of them be in the Financial/Business/Accountancy Sector.

I have heard of a lot of people had jetted off to Canada for a while for work experience but they all returned back to Ireland.

Ya I think I heard that parts of Canada are doing well and others aren't in terms of jobs and recession. Oz has got more competitive I suppose, they will only allow so many international graduates into Oz to work. They do have restrictions from that point of view. It be worth just getting the bit of work experience and experience a new culture and lifestyle I suppose.

I've considered going abroad but the nearest I go at the moment be the UK. Even still I feel I need to get my full licence before I'd consider moving abroad to anywhere including the UK. New York wouldn't be bad as public transport is good there but its very expensive to live there. I wouldn't mind going to the UK on my own as I have family over there but anywhere else I feel I need to have someone come over with me for a few months rather than say a year or something.

I am looking into going to the UK though so maybe even if I don't have my full licence I might still go over there for a while but it be a big move for me. I love travelling and going on holidays abroad but I get quiet homesick.

I wouldn't take it off the table but doing further study is on my mind too if paid or unpaid work doesn't surface here in Ireland.

Good luck with your job search whoseyour_daddy!

I have not ruled out going back to college for the old masters myself. I'd prefer to get a job though.
    Anyway, good luck with your job hunting too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Hey guys, I was in the exact same position three years ago to the date so I know exactly how you are feeling. I had just graduated with a 2.1 degree and 2.1 masters and could not get a job. I got only 3 interviews in 8 months so I was in a worse position than yourselfs. At the time I thought it was the end of the world for me, I used to hate people asking me all the time if I got a job. I often considered going abroad but I had no one to go with.The only advice I can give is never give up on the job hunting, Your destiny will come. I was about 10 months unemployed before I got a job. I got called for interview when I least expected it. I would do anything now to keep my current job. It makes me value it more. Once you keep trying to find a job your day will come and you be successful, I guarantee you. Stay positive and keep the chin up.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was in the exact same position three years ago to the date so I know exactly how you are feeling. I had just graduated with a 2.1 degree and 2.1 masters and could not get a job. I got only 3 interviews in 8 months so I was in a worse position than yourselfs. At the time I thought it was the end of the world for me, I used to hate people asking me all the time if I got a job. I often considered going abroad but I had no one to go with.The only advice I can give is never give up on the job hunting, Your destiny will come. I was about 10 months unemployed before I got a job. I got called for interview when I least expected it. I would do anything now to keep my current job. It makes me value it more. Once you keep trying to find a job your day will come and you be successful, I guarantee you. Stay positive and keep the chin up.

Thanks very much for the insight. Things are slow here in Ireland but I guess the jobs are still out there if you look hard enough.
    I know what you mean about people asking if you have a job yet, I hate it too, haha!
    I think I will give it about another 2 months searching here and if I don't get a job, then it's off to either Canada or Oz.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement