Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build My Own Computer?

Options
  • 08-09-2011 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey guys, before I start, let me say this. I know this is my first post, and it is basically leeching, but I have no where else to turn. :/ Not saying this board is bad.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, and it would be great if I could get some help.

Okay, I am torn here. I have roughly €800 to spend on a new computer, and I don't know if I should get it custom built, or make it myself? I know it would be cheaper for me to make it myself, but it is the experience that I don't have.

Background Story:
    I bought a computer in June 2010, brand new Dell Inspirion 570 (or 560, not %100 sure). It was amazing, or so I thought. I read about the 4GB RAM and other things, and I missed the part about the on-board graphics card.

I found out that my computer meets the MINIMUM requirements to play Battlefield 3, so I have decided to buy a new computer.

I plan on using this computer for Gaming, but also editing. I am planning on getting 8GB of RAM for it.

What to do?:
    I have roughly €800 to spend on the parts for the computer. Not the monitor, mouse, speakers or keyboard. Just the computer. Should I make it myself, or get it custom built online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

harwareversand.de is the place to go .
    alot of people here us it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Envy 7s

harwareversand.de is the place to go .
    alot of people here us it.
    Pardon me? I speak German, but not enough to browse that website and it doesn't really answer my question.

Edit: I've just realised that you can change the language, but it still doesn't help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

build it yourself definitely, its just like lego, very expensive lego :pac:
    I doubt you'd find a prebuilt PC that would be half as good for the same price.

Do you need an Operating system too?

and if you really don't feel comfortable building it, hardwareversand have an optuion where they build it for you for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Im no expert at choosing parts but i know someone who is.
    deconduo will be able to put a build together for you if you pm him

Burgo wrote: »
    build it yourself definitely, its just like lego, very expensive lego :pac:
    I doubt you'd find a prebuilt PC that would be half as good for the same price.
    Do you need an Operating system too?
    and if you really don't feel comfortable building it, hardwareversand have an optuion where they build it for you for €20.
    Yeah, I will be getting Windows 7. Also, do you know how long it would take for "hardwareversand" to ship the made computer?
    Im no expert at choosing parts but i know someone who is.
    deconduo will be able to put a build together for you if you pm him
    I would PM him, but I doubt he would reply. :/

• Advertisement

Total build cost: €776.72 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €174.57
    ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €83.63
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €35.89
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €46.19
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €16.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.05
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch €83.84
    XFX RADEON HD 6870 900M 1GB DDR5 DUAL DP HDMI DUAL DVI €145.17
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €87.14
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    Rechner - Zusammenbau €20.00

That includes the cost of them putting it together.
    Delivery times vary, some people get their stuff in a week others slightly longer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Envy 7s wrote: »
    Yeah, I will be getting Windows 7. Also, do you know how long it would take for "hardwareversand" to ship the made computer?

I would PM him, but I doubt he would reply. :/

Don't worry, I don't bite :D

Here's a decent enough build for you:

Total build cost: €737.42 + €30 shipping
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €30.59
    Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt3, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express €218.31
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61

I'd be tempted to go for a nicer case but there's nothing that great in the ~€50 region.

If you're in Dublin I'll build it for you for free, otherwise they'll build it for you if you add this to your cart:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746&agid=829

Total build cost: €776.72 + €30 shipping
    -SNIP-
    Just a quick question, could that run Battlefield 3? Not a minimum, but either decent or average?

Also, yes, I am in North County Dublin.

Also, this case, for some reason, appeals to me. I think it might be too small. I'm not sure about the dimensions of the other parts.

Just a quick question, could that run Battlefield 3? Not a minimum, but either decent or average?

Also, yes, I am in North County Dublin.

That would run at max or close to max settings at 1920x1080. What resolution is your monitor actually?

deconduo wrote: »
    Don't worry, I don't bite :D
    I wasn't afraid you would bite. :P On other forums I visit, they treat newbies like cr*p.
    Also, if you look at my post above your last one, you would see the case. I quoted the wrong person.
    That would run at max or close to max settings at 1920x1080. What resolution is your monitor actually?

c03a1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

definitely
    the difference between Burgo's build and deconduo is that Burgo went for a cheaper graphics card which is a good card but put in an SSD drive which will allow you to start Windows very fast and some other programs you may install on it
    Whereas deconduo went for a better gfx card which will last you for at least 3-4 years if you want
    you could bump your budget a bit and go for the best of both worlds :)

Skerries wrote: »
    definitely
    the difference between Burgo's build and deconduo is that Burgo went for a cheaper graphics card which is a good card but put in an SSD drive which will allow you to start Windows very fast and some other programs you may install on it
    Whereas deconduo went for a better gfx card which will last you for at least 3-4 years if you want
    you could bump your budget a bit and go for the best of both worlds :)
    Sorry for going off-topic, but nice name. I go to school there. :>

On-topic: Well, I would rather the graphics card, but if it doesn't cost more than €50-€100 to have both, I would get the two of them.

I wasn't afraid you would bite. :P On other forums I visit, they treat newbies like cr*p.
    Also, if you look at my post above your last one, you would see the case. I quoted the wrong person.

c03a1.png

Yeah unless you plan on upgrading your monitor soon, I'd go with the SSD instead of the faster GPU. That case is pretty meh though.

Total build cost: €774.12 + €30 shipping
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €30.59
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €87.14
    ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5, AMD Radeon HD 6870, 1GB, PCI- Express €141.35
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black Window, ohne Netzteil €58.13

Yeah unless you plan on upgrading your monitor soon, I'd go with the SSD instead of the faster GPU. That case is pretty meh though.
    Right now, I am using the Dell monitor that I got with my computer. I am planning on upgrading everything, but not at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Q:

Does the OP's Dell not have a PCiE slot?

Q:

Does the OP's Dell not have a PCiE slot?

Yeah it does more than likely, but with a 300w PSU it probably wont be much use to just stick a gfx card in there, and I don't think it would have a PCIE connector in any case.

Ref: http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-570/pd

Yeah it does more than likely, but with a 300w PSU it probably wont be much use to just stick a gfx card in there, and I don't think it would have a PCIE connector in any case.

Ref: http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-570/pd

Also dropping a 6870 into an already cramped case with terrible cooling isn't the greatest idea in the world :pac:

Also dropping a 6870 into an already cramped case with terrible cooling isn't the greatest idea in the world :pac:
    In your old post, you said:
    If you're in Dublin I'll build it for you for free

I was wondering, how would that work out?

In your old post, you said:
    I was wondering, how would that work out?

When your stuff arrived you give him a buzz and he goes to your house and builds it for you.

just blow on it every so often and it'll be grand!

When your stuff arrived you give him a buzz and he goes to your house and builds it for you.
    If you are right, I wouldn't let him do it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

If you are right, I wouldn't let him do it for free.

Ya see thats what people on this forum love doing - building PC's. So most be happy to do it for free :D

deejer wrote: »
    Ya see thats what people on this forum love doing - building PC's. So most be happy to do it for free :D
    Still, I would be willing to "donate" to them for their time. Just to be nice, I hate leeching, and that would be a type of leeching. :>

Still, I would be willing to "donate" to them for their time. Just to be nice, I hate leeching, and that would be a type of leeching. :>

You could buy me a pint if you wanted, but thats all the payment I'm willing to take. Building computers is a hobby, not a job :)

You could buy me a pint if you wanted, but thats all the payment I'm willing to take. Building computers is a hobby, not a job :)
    I would, but I wouldn't get served, I'm 16. :P But I would buy you a few cans. ;)

Sorry if my spelling and grammar made me seem older. :>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

16, eh? If memory serves, isn't Battlefield 3 an 18+ game?

Back to your Harry Potter, my lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Harry potters for real men with big wands :)

I'm sorry, but I grew out of Harry Potter when I was ten. :P Also, I know it is an 18+ game, but to be honest, I am quite mature, compared to other gamers my age. :)

Advertisement