Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katia

Options
  • 08-09-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up folks to keep a wee eye on the following thread

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056375333&pp=15&page=3

about (ex) Hurricane Katia which may very well smack straight into Donegal late Sunday/early Monday. Better to read up on it here before the papers start going into drama mode at the weekend if they haven't already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

From what i have seen it looks like it is just going to skirt Donegal, and we wont get the full force of it, but i suppose that prediction could change in the comming days.

Found a site that shows an updated projected track of it at
    http://www.stormpulse.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

seems hurricane debby was 50 years ago next week and to celebrate we have....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056375333&page=8

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

From what i have seen it looks like it is just going to skirt Donegal, and we wont get the full force of it, but i suppose that prediction could change in the comming days.

Found a site that shows an updated projected track of it at
    http://www.stormpulse.com

That is quite possibly my new favourite site!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

danniemcq wrote: »
    That is quite possibly my new favourite site!

Yea I keep going back having a look at the latest projected path!

Guess i must be bored sometimes haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

With most leaves still on the trees theres bound to be a lot down again, winds might not be as strong as a bad winter storm but because of the trees the damage might be worse so keep an eye out. Similar to the storm in May which caused a lot of damage even though the wind wasnt overly strong

This chart shows the predicted wind gusts, 70+ knots in Donegal which is over 130kmph

110912120918.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bollocks. Hate strong winds. Always waiting to keep something come crashing down around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Way cool site :D

Indo predicting winds of 160kmph, think that's stronger than it had when it was being called a bloody hurricane in the states...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Dam hope it's not as bad as they are saying still haven't got the trees cleared up around the house from the last storm.
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/09/10/wow-donegal-in-eye-of-hurricane-katia-warning/#.TmvYc_iMHlk.facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I need to drive from Dublin to Donegal tomorrow evening or Monday morning, not to sound like a drama queen but will it be safe in those kind of winds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

danthefan wrote: »
    I need to drive from Dublin to Donegal tomorrow evening or Monday morning, not to sound like a drama queen but will it be safe in those kind of winds?

Who knows for sure. It's a forecast...they're guesstimating... Drive easy. Safe travels :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

danthefan wrote: »

Leave before 6pm Sunday and u will be ahead of Katia. Daylight driving will be much safer and at present (could change) crazy winds are due to kick in around 9pm

Safe trip.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Leave before 6pm Sunday and u will be ahead of Katia. Daylight driving will be much safer and at present (could change) crazy winds are due to kick in around 9pm

Safe trip.

Grand stuff, thanks. Will take it handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Looking forward to this! prefer a storm to snow any day! great to be inside looking out at a big storm

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

hope its not too bad i have a shed with a opening at the front of it and have no way of closing it up :( , give me snow anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Not too stormy yet but extremely wet. Typical of a lot of days in Ireland really.

The last reports I heard was that we can expect the storm to kick in sometime later this evening.

storm pulse not showing katia anymore

danniemcq wrote: »
    storm pulse not showing katia anymore
    Im no expert on this but I think its taken off their website once its downgraded from hurricane status.

Still seems fairly calm in Letterkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Very calm here outside letterkenny right now....lets hope its not the calm before the storm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 iqon77

getting very windy in youghal,cork, has been gaining in strenght over the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I'm in ballyshannon - I can't accurately assess wind speeds b/c our house is in a steep valley but the higher trees seem to blowing around a good bit now. Loads of heavy rain coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Just drove Ardara to Letterkenny there now and doesn't appear too bad yet just very wet making visibility poor enough. I would imagine it will get worse during the night and morning so anyone on the roads take it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The wind will pick up gradually over night with worst expected to be between 11am and 3pm tomorrow, its not going to be a disastrous storm as some sections of the media want to believe but still potential for fallen trees and flooding from a storm surge and heavy rain so just keep an eye on things

If the peak is 3+ hours away is gonna be rough but if this is it now it's just a normal windy day.

Yeah looking at the forecasts and that last night it seemed it was gonna miss us with the worst of it.

on the plus side at least with the remains of a tropical storm we're getting it nice and warm!

Then again what we call 'kinda windy' da big city dwellers would call a hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Its a wee bit windy down here in Keadue at the moment :)

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    Then again what we call 'kinda windy' da big city dwellers would call a hurricane.

yeah listening to the radio this morning you'd swear that Dublin was sinking and the spire had blown over

Advertisement