Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm home this weekend and it's pretty windy but nothing major, still pretty warm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dunno what all the fuss was about (yet?) I seen stronger gusts after a feed of baked beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

In fairness it's picked up a good bit in the last hour around Donegal Town. Then again, I am/was a "city dweller":D.

I've also already saw the token trampoline bounding through a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yep. It's getting there bohs. Some of the gusts are mighty ! OH is away down town to Lidl. So I'll get a full report in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

The seas at carrickfinn are unbelievable, must try get a photo up..:eek: very bad up here now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

getting very gusty out in Laghy at the moment!!

Sun is actually shining now in the twin towns. Not for long maybe as its still raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

muffler wrote: »
    Dunno what all the fuss was about (yet?) I seen stronger gusts after a feed of baked beans

just wait till the morning after the boards beers when there is a feed of guinness bubbling away in your bowels

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

power just went on and off in laghy!!

Flickered here too. I guess duration of winds may start to become a factor now. Reading reports on weather forum that we get our strongest winds this afternoon.

• Advertisement

feelpablo wrote: »
    power just went on and off in laghy!!

Yeah, got that too. Its very bad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Hope the power doesn't go out, I'm enjoying sitting at the pc :P

suprised nobody has made a comment regarding getting blown by Katia was a letdown so far....

fine i will

just got blown by Katia, not worth the hype

/waits for mod edit and/or infractions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There has been a lot worse 'storms' in the past that have had no mention...its very windy here in letterkenny but nothing near as stormy as had been hyped...everywhere!

I'll get yer coat... :pac:

Gettin worse down here, gettin the bus back up later, hope we don't lose electricity :(

From Donegal Daily
    LUNCHTIME UPDATE LATEST: Donegal is being hit by storm force winds in the past few minutes as the real effects of former Hurricane Katia begin to hit.

In the past few minutes a gust of 137km/per hour was recorded on Arranmore Island.

The worst of the storm will be from noon until about 8pm, said the forecasters. There are trees down in a number of areas including near Glenties, Drumkeen and Ramelton.

At one stage a huge trampoline was blocking the road from Dunfanaghy to Falcarragh – blown from a garden.

And just moments after Met Eireann said the winds probably wouldn’t affect power supplies, the ESB reported 4,000 homes have now lost power and telephone lines are now also down in many areas in the west of the county.

The latest area to lose power is Mountain Top in Letterkenny.

The Mulroy Bridge is closed and the AA is warning motorists to slow down following reports to this website from several drivers that some other road users are “driving as mad as usual.”

Peter O’Donnell from irishweatheronline had just reported: “The storm has broken on the west coast with gusts already over 55 knots (near 65 mph). This morning, storm force SW winds 50-80 mph in exposed locations in west and north coast counties, some local damage to trees and buildings possible.

“Mainly cloudy with the strong winds, brief showers or drizzle. Large waves 8-15 metres, very large swells likely (full moon is today at about 0930h). Risk of coastal flooding. Temperatures steady near 14 or 15 C. Further south and east, gale to storm force SW winds, brief showers, becoming partly cloudy, some longer sunny intervals developing, but risk of a brief gusty shower or thunderstorm.

“Temperatures may have already peaked during the night but may recover a few degrees later on to reach 18-20 C.

“Winds SW 35-55 mph with some higher gusts possible. Further rainfall amounts today only 1-3 mms for most places. Winds should ease gradually late afternoon in the coastal northwest, and by evening in Ulster.”

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

its getting a bit worse now out in the Blue stacks , i heard its going to be at its worst from about 1-2pm onward

"driving as mad as usual" I chuckled :D

Power is out in Killybegs I hear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I'm between Miltown and Tuam in Co Galway and it's hardly blowing at all, came from Claremorris earlier and just a small bit breezy with no rain. Mild and great refreshing breeze, great day for a game of golf

• Advertisement

I come from Scotland, I've been told there's a bit of wind going about but I don't see it.

Flibbles wrote: »
    I come from Scotland, I've been told there's a bit of wind going about but I don't see it.
    So you're a blow-in? Very apt :D

sure wind is invisable

Alright, I've been out sarcasm'd :P

Alright, I've been out sarcasm'd :P

i was waiting for a "thats the joke" gif... but i think i got away with it!

danniemcq wrote: »
    i was waiting for a "thats the joke" gif... but i think i got away with it!

Not gonna lie, I only thought about that after you said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

No electricity in Kiltoy when i left at 12.30 Ok on other side of Letterkenny though.

I'm so disappointed, I thought this thread was about the polish girl that works as barmaid in the "Bog Hotel"! :o

What would be Katia's cousin... Daria ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

headmaster wrote: »
    I'm between Miltown and Tuam in Co Galway and it's hardly blowing at all, came from Claremorris earlier and just a small bit breezy with no rain. Mild and great refreshing breeze, great day for a game of golf

Find that a bit hard to believe to be honest as I work in Claremorris and if that is " a small bit breezy " then I'd hate to see what you call a gale ! !

Advertisement