Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on two additional subjects need advice and book reccomendations

• 08-09-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I have decided to add Chemistry and History to my list of LC subjects. I plan to self study both of them. From what I understand about History we are allowed to do coursework on any subject we wish, in that case would a comparsion on Yi Sun Sin and Lord Nelson be allowed? I am also looking for what would be the best books to study the History subject and Chemistry subject.

What would also be the best line of books to get for revision and self study on the following:

English
    Maths
    Economics
    Bio
    Physics
    Applied Maths
    Business Studies.

I am doing higher in all the subjects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

sganyfx wrote: »
    I have decided to add Chemistry and History to my list of LC subjects. I plan to self study both of them. From what I understand about History we are allowed to do coursework on any subject we wish, in that case would a comparsion on Yi Sun Sin and Lord Nelson be allowed? I am also looking for what would be the best books to study the History subject and Chemistry subject.

What would also be the best line of books to get for revision and self study on the following:

English
    Maths
    Economics
    Bio
    Physics
    Applied Maths
    Business Studies.

I am doing higher in all the subjects.

Ya? Cool! Are you in 5th of 6th year? If in 6th eyar, in my opinion Chemistry is an awful dense subject in learning wise... As my teacher says "You cannot dip in and out of chemistry... it must be consistent learning" << Meaning that you need to have basics of chemistry done before you do most chapters as each incorporates the others. :L But it is my favourite subject! I amn't sure about History (don't do it) but for the project I heard you can practically do it on anything? :L Chemistry is a great subject anyhow, and is really fun! As a warning, some of the answers aren't in the books... my teacher ( the best teacher i've ever met < have her for both chemistry and maths HL) has to constantly add to books and re-arrange OBH's for us... but if you need any definitions checked I'll type them up here for ya! :L

I'm not certain about books again, but my chemistry book "Chemistry Live by Declan Kennedy (think its him anyway.. it has fireworks on the cover) is really good! Also, for Chemistry, those pocket pull out revision guides are good too!

You're not doing irish? :'( << Its a great subject! :L :P

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Ya? Cool! Are you in 5th of 6th year? If in 6th eyar, in my opinion Chemistry is an awful dense subject in learning wise... As my teacher says "You cannot dip in and out of chemistry... it must be consistent learning" << Meaning that you need to have basics of chemistry done before you do most chapters as each incorporates the others. :L But it is my favourite subject! I amn't sure about History (don't do it) but for the project I heard you can practically do it on anything? :L Chemistry is a great subject anyhow, and is really fun! As a warning, some of the answers aren't in the books... my teacher ( the best teacher i've ever met < have her for both chemistry and maths HL) has to constantly add to books and re-arrange OBH's for us... but if you need any definitions checked I'll type them up here for ya! :L

I'm not certain about books again, but my chemistry book "Chemistry Live by Declan Kennedy (think its him anyway.. it has fireworks on the cover) is really good! Also, for Chemistry, those pocket pull out revision guides are good too!

You're not doing irish? :'( << Its a great subject! :L :P

British student so no Irish for me :P
    I studied Chemistry at GCSE level so I have a good understanding of it. I shall check out that book thank you :D
    I just started 5th year so I may as well start studying for extra subjects sooner rather than later and spend the entire summer constructing some coursework which has the quality of a published History book :P

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Best book I can recommend for chem is 'Understanding Chemistry'. we used it for 2 years and rarely needed anything else. there was teh odd note wriitten in, usually just rephrasing something already there. For an A1 just learn that book cover to cover and get a decent teacher to explain the complex parts.

Best book I can recommend for chem is 'Understanding Chemistry'. we used it for 2 years and rarely needed anything else. there was teh odd note wriitten in, usually just rephrasing something already there. For an A1 just learn that book cover to cover and get a decent teacher to explain the complex parts.

http://www.easonashbourne.ie/products/UNDERSTANDING-CHEMISTRY-LEAVING-CERT.html

This book? From what you have said about it, it sounds likes my type of learning :P

http://www.easonashbourne.ie/products/UNDERSTANDING-CHEMISTRY-LEAVING-CERT.html

This book? From what you have said about it, it sounds likes my type of learning :P

That's the one, but we had a different cover. Our chem teacher threw in about 10 small extra notes throughout it (i think 3 of those notes were properties of transition metals, she really wanted us to know that) But other than that it was just that book and her explaining it. The same people wrote a revision book as well. My teacher said if you were happy to get a B or C then kearning that off by heart would be enough but if you wanted the A you'd need the textbook. It worked for me anyway :)

• Advertisement

That's the one, but we had a different cover. Our chem teacher threw in about 10 small extra notes throughout it (i think 3 of those notes were properties of transition metals, she really wanted us to know that) But other than that it was just that book and her explaining it. The same people wrote a revision book as well. My teacher said if you were happy to get a B or C then kearning that off by heart would be enough but if you wanted the A you'd need the textbook. It worked for me anyway :)

Well I need an A1 in everything so I shall learn it off by heart :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I used Chemistry Live, its a very thick book and stuff isn't always easy to find. It does have all you need in it though.
    I used Modern Europe and Wider World and Modern Ireland for my History.
    You're taking on a huge workload but good luck with it!

Good good, hope it works out for you. Gimme a shout if you need any help. and i know its been said already, but make sure you understand the basics before you move on, and another good tip is to draw out the organic chem reactions on a poster and stick them up on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

For Economics you'd want to get either Understanding Economics by Richard Delaney or Rapid Revision by Michael Ruane. The Understanding Economics book is more comprehensive so I'd recommend that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

For chemistry "Rapid Revision" is brilliant! Also "Exam Edge" has solutions to all the past LC questions. We use both of these (plus some teachers notes) for learning.... We never use our main book for studying (chemistry live).... Just reading and experiments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Good luck! I hope you get what you need!
    For History we are using "Modern Europe and the Wider World" and "Modern Ireland", although I find that they are not great books as everything is in big paragraph chunks and it is very hard to find information and learn from it...

Bump^_^ Anyone provide any information on the History Coursework please?

Advertisement