Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can I teach?

• 08-09-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey,

Just weighing up my options at the moment.

I currently have two degree one in business and computing and another in quantity surveying.

From researching on the teaching council website I understand that i'm eligable to teach business, accounting, computers and economics with my first degree.

With my second degree would I be able to teach construction studies?

If I was to complete the hibernian 2 year coarse would that mean I would be able to all the subjects?

ie: economics, accounting, business, computers & construction studies.

What would my job prospects be if I was able to teach all subjects.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

ie: economics, accounting, business, computers & construction studies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

only tc can answer if your eligible to teach. Regarding jobs, the more subjects you have the better and CS seems to be a good one at the moment, Business studies is fairly common unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hepatically speaking if the teaching council was to approve my degree for teaching construction studies would that mean I could teach all my subjects above if I was to complete the hybernian coarse in business and economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No, you can only teach the specific subjects that the TC gives you approval for, maybe all of them and maybe only 1/2 of them, again depends on the TC and the % of each subject in your degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

be very very careful - the TC will rarely award all 3 business subjects - get a copy of your college handbook / transcripts and count the number of credits you have for each one...TC look for 54 for each.

and then start your battle with the Teaching Council........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

briman1983 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Hepatically speaking if the teaching council was to approve my degree for teaching construction studies would that mean I could teach all my subjects above if I was to complete the hybernian coarse in business and economics.

Your eligibility to teach specific subjects will be a function of your degree and not your methodology subjects during teacher training.

The Hibernian course is a course in education and not business and economics. You will be qualified in education and not any specific school subject. So the Hibernian course will have no effect on the subjects you are qualified to teach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carareen

i am completing my beauty diploma as we speak after this i want to do train the teacher training and provide certified beauty courses to the public, also i want to provide basic hairdressing courses, to do this would a night course in hairdressing (basic ) with a certificate in attendance from the school be enough?

also what certification can i provide with train the teacher course behind me?

Advertisement