Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business start up - the right premises??

Options
  • 08-09-2011 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

In the middle of getting my business plan finished, company has been registered but I need to find the right premises... Hopefully setting up a cafe with retail space.

I want something cheap, less than €3000 pm, already fitted out as cafe or at least have basics like ovens, fridges. Premises needs to have room to expand or to cater for parties or big groups like hen or birthday parties but separate from actual cafe space. Ideally looking for somewhere on the Southside.

All suggestions are welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You really need to speak to estate agents and build up your network of contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nicomcg

Cheers have contacted a few already but they're not really passing on relevant premises as in the rent is usually way off....

You might have the wrong estate agents. Pretty much all property passes through estate agents, and if you don't know landlords yourself, you are dependent on them.

Alternatively you might not have the right price point.

I would question the wisdom of opening a cafe in a premises off the beaten track at the moment. It is just too difficult to attract people in. Outlying premises have been harder hit in the recession than well-located ones.

I was hoping that people might be aware of some places that have closed down, you know when you're walking or driving around you might see them, theres alot of stuff out there sitting empty with no agents boards on them or else they're not up on myhome etc etc. Ive seen other premises in my budget but I just wasn't in a position to do anything then and I absolutely agree, the premises cannot be off the beaten track, I need good foot flow and nearby parking

This is really not how it works. Just because a board doesn't go up doesn't mean there isn't an agent or that a new tenant is not being pursued by other means. Premises on the main beat are being let, slowly, but surely. Landlords are often better off leaving the premises vacant than having a poor tenant in there, so you have to convince them and the agents that you will be a good tenant. The market is picking up a bit from where it was 6 months ago (at least that is my observation, although others will have different views).

• Advertisement

That's fair enough I thought I'd check in anyway just incase someone had some inside information, I actually work in an estate agents but as you can imagine I'm not really shouting from the rooftops about my intentions to set up my own business ;) that's for your suggestions though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

I'm sorry to kick the dead horse of why people think cafe's are a bad idea but are you sure about this? Though you have mentioned parties as well, so I'm sure you've a much bigger idea than just a normal cafe, having said that, whatever the rest of your idea is, would you not focus on that side of it?

Hi Barura, it's a very specific cafe, targeting a certain Market, big gap in Market and there is a good focus on retail and take home option. I have to give this a shot, if it fails well and good but this is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, have to bite the bullet and just go for it... Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Having worked my tail off in a bar that was mainly focused on catering 80% of the time, I know a lot can be done in this sector with proper pricing of the items you sell... I mean that in the sense that I've worked on my own opening, working, taking in stock, cleaning and preparing everything, tills and all that jazz and the amount of money I took in for my employer was really not worth my blood and sweat that I lost because of it.

I also have an idea for a specific cafe... I hope your idea goes well. :) Just one thing though; what is your idea? If you don't want to say, no worries, but I highly doubt someone would steal it here. :)

Unless its flaming moes or something :D

You're right pricing is key aswell as being innovative and changing with the times, it baffles me how people don't learn from their competitors in terms of products, pricing, deals etc etc, its just so important to get repeat business, you need to be one step ahead all the time

Going to keep my plan to take over the world under my hat for now if you don't mind :) Best of luck with your business idea if you go down that path

• Advertisement
Advertisement