Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Bat Species

• 08-09-2011 6:59pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently heard there are now 11 known species of bat in Ireland. When I did an environmental studies module in college a couple of years ago I was told there was only 9 which are as follows:
    • Lesser horseshoe (Rhinolophus hipposideros) lesser_horseshoe_bat.jpg
    • Whiskered bat (Myotis mystacinus) whiskered.jpg
    • Natters bat (Myotis nattereri) 280px-Chiroptera1.jpg
    • Daubentons bat (Myotis daubentonii) daubentons.jpg
    • Leislers bat (Nyctalus leisleri) bat_leisler1_220x170.jpg
    • Common pipistrelle (Pipistrellus pipistrellus) common%20pipistrelle.jpg
    • Soprano pipistrelle (Pipistrellus pygmaeus) soprano-pips_1.jpg
    • Nathusius pipistrelle (Pipistrellus nathusii) nathusius-pipistrelle-face-.jpg
    • Brown long eared bat (Plecotus auritus) 7307.jpg

They're one of the few animals that have a good range of diversity here. I've been lucky enough to see a fair few of them in the wild when caving and also went out with a group using bat detectors too. The one I've seen the most of funnily enough is the Lesser Horseshoe which is protected here and is also one of the world's smallest bats, I think it might only be found around Clare, Cork, Galway, Kerry, Limerick and Mayo. Our population of Lesser Horseshoe is considered to be of national importance since it is on the decline elsewhere and has gone extinct in certain parts of Europe but our population remains healthy.

Does anyone know what the other two of bat species are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

See Bat Conservation Ireland

Gives a little detail on Brandt's Bat and mentions reports of Noctule and Barbastelle bats

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mothman wrote: »
    See Bat Conservation Ireland

Gives a little detail on Brandt's Bat and mentions reports of Noctule and Barbastelle bats

So there's potentially 12 species now? crikey! :)

Thanks for the link.

Advertisement