Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 5 for developers.

Options
  • 08-09-2011 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

I've recently upgraded to iOS 5 and have noticed a few things being deprecated in the SDK.

initWithContentFromURL: is one, Though that doesn't bother me as I use ASIHTTP thanks to a recommendation on here.

Another is getting the UUID of the device, I find this pretty annoying as I use this for non-registration internet features, where the user can add and remove posts being identified by their UUID.

Yes, it's only being deprecated but this does mean that in the future they'll possibly reject apps using this. Does anyone have a better way for doing this?

Also, has anyone noticed anything else being dropped/deprecated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

The UUID stuff is for user privacy/security, you'll need to work on your own mechanism to achieve the same thing in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

p wrote: »
    The UUID stuff is for user privacy/security, you'll need to work on your own mechanism to achieve the same thing in future.

I know that, but any way I've been thinking of, to change from the UUID method just means It'll only last till an update/delete and re-install.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Its deprecated but its also replaced with a function to create a UDID for your application, I haven't used it but I'm guessing this will always create a unique identifier thats the same for a combination of your app and the device its on, even if the app is un-installed and later reinstalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

draffodx wrote: »
    Its deprecated but its also replaced with a function to create a UDID for your application, I haven't used it but I'm guessing this will always create a unique identifier thats the same for a combination of your app and the device its on, even if the app is un-installed and later reinstalled.

Oh cool, I must have missed that, I was on the apple developer forums and they were all asking for something like this but it seemed that it hadn't been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Oh cool, I must have missed that, I was on the apple developer forums and they were all asking for something like this but it seemed that it hadn't been added.

It's in the iOS 5 changes document.

• Advertisement
Advertisement