Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my bulldogs anger

• 08-09-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭

:mad:hi all i need some help please.
    my bulldog gus is after geting very moody the last year and tonight he just went for father in law and then turned on me.now he weights over 4 and half stone and is a well looked after dog.

he is part of the family and is spoilt to be honest.but as i said lately gone very moody and bold:mad:have any one any ideas to help us.he is 3 years old,now i have a bitch bulldog too but she is very timed and just sleeps all day.and they get on very well he gets very jealous when u rub or play with her he would go for her but only when they both look for loveing.

as i say any help will b great.thanks audi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Bulldogs are a very slow maturing breed so at three your guy is only just becoming an adult and from the sounds of it is testing the water to see what he can get away with. Spoiling him as a pup can come back to bite you (no pun intended :)) as he will lack boundaries as an adult.
    I would first suggest getting him into some obedience classes to establish a mutal way of communicating and controlling the dog then I would suggest googling NILF (Nothing In Life is Free) method of training, which is basically a reward based method of giving a dog boundaries and letting them know what is and isn't accpetable.
    If he behaviour esculates though I would advise enlisting the help of a behaviourist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

lrushe wrote: »
    Bulldogs are a very slow maturing breed so at three your guy is only just becoming an adult and from the sounds of it is testing the water to see what he can get away with. Spoiling him as a pup can come back to bite you (no pun intended :)) as he will lack boundaries as an adult.
    I would first suggest getting him into some obedience classes to establish a mutal way of communicating and controlling the dog then I would suggest googling NILF (Nothing In Life is Free) method of training, which is basically a reward based method of giving a dog boundaries and letting them know what is and isn't accpetable.
    If he behaviour esculates though I would advise enlisting the help of a behaviourist.

thanks for youre repley,yes i think he is testing me to be fair,also he was very spoilt and now its back to haunt us.i will look up the web and see any good tips/books as in fairness he is a great dog,just bold lately:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In the short term while you get in contact with someone and get your hands on some books, change your regime;

Dog is not allowed on any seats. Dog does not sleep on anyone's bed but their own. The dog is never picked up and cuddled (though at 4 stone you probably don't :D). Sit on the floor and cuddle, no problem, don't pick him up to do it.

NILF is the way to go and the dog will pick it up very quickly. Want his dinner? He has to sit in his bed first and wait to be told that it's OK. Wants a cuddle? Make him sit first. Wants to go out? Sit by the door and wait for me to give you the OK to come. Interact with the dog on a master-dog level, not an "I wub you, cuddlywuddlywoo" level.

This is the time that you need to assert that you are the one in control. It's not a pack leader thing, it's a comfort thing. If the dog knows that you're in charge, then it doesn't have to worry about those things and his mood and temperament will improve.

seamus wrote: »
    In the short term while you get in contact with someone and get your hands on some books, change your regime;

Dog is not allowed on any seats. Dog does not sleep on anyone's bed but their own. The dog is never picked up and cuddled (though at 4 stone you probably don't :D). Sit on the floor and cuddle, no problem, don't pick him up to do it.

NILF is the way to go and the dog will pick it up very quickly. Want his dinner? He has to sit in his bed first and wait to be told that it's OK. Wants a cuddle? Make him sit first. Wants to go out? Sit by the door and wait for me to give you the OK to come. Interact with the dog on a master-dog level, not an "I wub you, cuddlywuddlywoo" level.

This is the time that you need to assert that you are the one in control. It's not a pack leader thing, it's a comfort thing. If the dog knows that you're in charge, then it doesn't have to worry about those things and his mood and temperament will improve.

thanks seamus,good advice there and will start that from morning on.
    myself i think he is very jealous of the other too dogs but will start a few of youre ideas in morning.thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are your dogs neutered?

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Are your dogs neutered?

no his not neutered.wife said that to me today but would it be unfair to him to do it,i dont know i may be wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

no his not neutered.wife said that to me today but would it be unfair to him to do it,i dont know i may be wrong

Its your problem, Hes protective ,And lashes out at anyone he sees as a threat,
    Neuter him, Would make him into a happy dog, Not a frustrated dog,
    You owe him that atleast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I feel it unfair to keep a male dog whole to be honest. Imagine the furstration.... you're a man I'm sure you undertand :pac:

There are different thoughts on it, and of course you should make up your own mind, but do research it. I'd recommend neutering almost every time.

At this stage though it's a behaviour modification thing, and neutering wont just fix it. I feel that while seamus' post has some good advice, it's not necessary to stop your dog being on the couch or beds if that is the way he currently lives and you like it. Personally, I enjoy having my dogs on the couch with me, and when my husband is away for the nigh I sleep much better with them on the bed than I do alone. The key is to be very clear about what you want, be consistent, and be fair. I'd suggest lisiting the behaviours you want to stop, list how you plan to stop them and everyone in the house agree to stick to it.

Can we have a bit more information about the circumstances around the two incidents. I know you said that he's been moody, but a dog will rarely bite for no reason and without warning. So was there something in particular wrong this evening, could he have been feeling ill or anything. What was happening when he turned?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Fieldies Dreams

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Its your problem, Hes protective ,And lashes out at anyone he sees as a threat,
    Neuter him, Would make him into a happy dog, Not a frustrated dog,
    You owe him that atleast

Yea but if you neuter him you cant bread him with the bitch and get 2 grand a pop for the pups!!

I got a bulldog off a breader i knew a few years ago,i was delighted to get him because i always wanted one,he was fine to walk but other than that he was stubborn about everything..like if he got something he shouldnt have he'd put up a fight to keep it,he aslo didnt like being picked up and if he was comfortable somewhere he'd just stay there and growl and try nip me when i tried moving him.He only every proper bit me once when i tried to get a jacket that he took,but he treid lots of times.I treid to change his habbits but as they say "you cant teach an old dog new tricks".They have great character but my one was like a grumpy old man stuck in his ways,thinking bout it now he was actually a dangerous dog.If i was you id get obiedience training and try nip it in the bud,not sayin your dog is a bad as mine was but they are a temperamental bread
    and a very strong dog.

best of luck :D

Yea but if you neuter him you cant bread him with the bitch and get 2 grand a pop for the pups!!

:rolleyes:

Fieldies Dreams you can teach an old dog new tricks! Dogs adability and ability to learn new things in a changing environment is one of the things that have made them one of the most successful species on earth.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I feel it unfair to keep a male dog whole to be honest. Imagine the furstration.... you're a man I'm sure you undertand :pac:

There are different thoughts on it, and of course you should make up your own mind, but do research it. I'd recommend neutering almost every time.

At this stage though it's a behaviour modification thing, and neutering wont just fix it. I feel that while seamus' post has some good advice, it's not necessary to stop your dog being on the couch or beds if that is the way he currently lives and you like it. Personally, I enjoy having my dogs on the couch with me, and when my husband is away for the nigh I sleep much better with them on the bed than I do alone. The key is to be very clear about what you want, be consistent, and be fair. I'd suggest lisiting the behaviours you want to stop, list how you plan to stop them and everyone in the house agree to stick to it.

Can we have a bit more information about the circumstances around the two incidents. I know you said that he's been moody, but a dog will rarely bite for no reason and without warning. So was there something in particular wrong this evening, could he have been feeling ill or anything. What was happening when he turned?

hi there,no he never bite anyone he would never do that he just stands on alert.he does show his teeth thats all,but he has just started this as for the netureing i dont know as i would like to get a pup from my bitch as the two dogs are really great and only for this isssue had graet temperment.

and no he wasent ill as he is in great shape and eating well,this morning now his runing around playing with my other small dog.just looked there his gone to bed in his bean bag now:).all i can do is get more information and books.thanks again for youre input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Opening a can of worms but IMO the dogs welfare should come before the owner's personal gain - I'm sure any responsible owner would agree? A dog we know of has grown from a pain in the a$$ puppy with no boundries set or responsibility taken by his owner into a dog agressive dog - everyone could see the signs and advised the owner to get him neutered but no she wants to show him and breed for him because is so much better than every other dog of the breed on the entire planet etc etc :rolleyes:

Back on topic OP if he's getting agressive I'd take him for a check up in the vets first to rule anything out - eg my guy has problems with his legs and is protective of him and would growl if he things eg a vet is going to hurt him. Next I'd take him to a behaviourist http://apdt.ie/ - they'll be able to give you loads of advise on what will work best for him. Some insurance policies will cover the cost of a behaviourist visit too.

I got a bulldog off a breader i knew a few years ago,i was delighted to get him because i always wanted one,he was fine to walk but other than that he was stubborn about everything..like if he got something he shouldnt have he'd put up a fight to keep it,he aslo didnt like being picked up and if he was comfortable somewhere he'd just stay there and growl and try nip me when i tried moving him.He only every proper bit me once when i tried to get a jacket that he took,but he treid lots of times.I treid to change his habbits but as they say "you cant teach an old dog new tricks".They have great character but my one was like a grumpy old man stuck in his ways,thinking bout it now he was actually a dangerous dog.If i was you id get obiedience training and try nip it in the bud,not sayin your dog is a bad as mine was but they are a temperamental bread
    and a very strong dog.

hey there,no his not bad but is bold i will admit,thanks for feedback i will get someone for obiedience training and see how it goes as he has character and a very trustfull dog(only for this mishap)

tk123 wrote: »
    Opening a can of worms but IMO the dogs welfare should come before the owner's personal gain - I'm sure any responsible owner would agree? A dog we know of has grown from a pain in the a$$ puppy with no boundries set or responsibility taken by his owner into a dog agressive dog - everyone could see the signs and advised the owner to get him neutered but no she wants to show him and breed for him because is so much better than every other dog of the breed on the entire planet etc etc :rolleyes:

Back on topic OP if he's getting agressive I'd take him for a check up in the vets first to rule anything out - eg my guy has problems with his legs and is protective of him and would growl if he things eg a vet is going to hurt him. Next I'd take him to a behaviourist http://apdt.ie/ - they'll be able to give you loads of advise on what will work best for him. Some insurance policies will cover the cost of a behaviourist visit too.

hi,you are correct the dogs life and care come first and they do in my house.i have 2 bulldogs and never breed as we all know there is a lot of bad people out there when it comes to bulldogs.
    i was just looking at my bitch shes 5 but i know she would be a great mother and would like a pup from her to be honest.but i puts her first thats why i never breed of her:)

yes i will take to vet tomorrow and see what advice he can give.thanks for youre advice and help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

hi,you are correct the dogs life and care come first and they do in my house.i have 2 bulldogs and never breed as we all know there is a lot of bad people out there when it comes to bulldogs.
    i was just looking at my bitch shes 5 but i know she would be a great mother and would like a pup from her to be honest.but i puts her first thats why i never breed of her:)

yes i will take to vet tomorrow and see what advice he can give.thanks for youre advice and help.
    would this be the problem? you have a whole male who is kept with a unspayed female who is likely going into heat twice a yr and god love him, if she hasnt had pups up to now, he is been seperated from her but can still sence she is in heat. it is problem driving the poor soul demented.

would this be the problem? you have a whole male who is kept with a unspayed female who is likely going into heat twice a yr and god love him, if she hasnt had pups up to now, he is been seperated from her but can still sence she is in heat. it is problem driving the poor soul demented.

yes shes a two season bitch,and i had them seperated oh it was hard on him.and you could be right as the last few days he gets the humps action going so a lot of this could be fustratesion in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It really is unfair to keep an intact male around an in season bitch regularly so if you dont intend to breed them, please neuter and spay BOTH of them.

Health wise it is much better for them as it reduces the risk of cancers.

With the female, every time she has a season you increase the risk of her suffering with a Pyometra which can actually be very serious and sometimes fatal so i really would urge you to neuter and spay both, more so the female than the male as the risks are much higher for the female than the male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Your bitch is too old to breed from now for the first time anyway so you should get her spayed as she is at high risk of getting pyrometra and mammary cancer amongst other things. I would say keeping these dogs both un-neutered is definitely the cause of your problem.

FYI - to anyone interested, the reason bulldogs cost so much is because they are often unable to give birth naturally. This means you have to have a vet at your beck and call 24/7 when expecting pups and the bitch cannot be left unsupervised. For this reason wanting a pup from your own dog or to make a profit are not good enough reasons to attempt to breed from a bulldog.

Your bitch is too old to breed from now for the first time anyway so you should get her spayed as she is at high risk of getting pyrometra and mammary cancer amongst other things. I would say keeping these dogs both un-neutered is definitely the cause of your problem.

FYI - to anyone interested, the reason bulldogs cost so much is because they are often unable to give birth naturally. This means you have to have a vet at your beck and call 24/7 when expecting pups and the bitch cannot be left unsupervised. For this reason wanting a pup from your own dog or to make a profit are not good enough reasons to attempt to breed from a bulldog.

thanks for the advice i will be geting her done after the advice i was giveing here. as the lady does come first with me and has allways, thats why i never had pups from her im not out for profit here never have and never will.:)

At this stage though it's a behaviour modification thing, and neutering wont just fix it. I feel that while seamus' post has some good advice, it's not necessary to stop your dog being on the couch or beds if that is the way he currently lives and you like it.

I would disagree with this to an extent, currently the dog has been given no boundaries and lives by no rules. Initally I would take back any privileges and have the dog earn them back with good behaviours. There is no problem with a well behaved dog being asked onto the couch but a dog with behavioural problems should be limited to assess to couches, bed etc. as these privileges can be used as training aid and used as a reward for good behaviour.

• Advertisement

lrushe wrote: »
    I would disagree with this to an extent, currently the dog has been given no boundaries and lives by no rules. Initally I would take back any privileges and have the dog earn them back with good behaviours. There is no problem with a well behaved dog being asked onto the couch but a dog with behavioural problems should be limited to assess to couches, bed etc. as these privileges can be used as training aid and used as a reward for good behaviour.

I found I didn't have to take them away to give them back. Just tighten the rules around it. Harley has always been allowed on the couch, so much so we had problems with him running into other peoples houses and bouncing on their furniture :o we taught "get off" and use it occasionally in our own house, but we never had to not allow him on the couch as a general rule, we just had to be stricter about it. Now we're doing the same with Phoe, they're not allowed on the couch if we're having food in front of the tv, so he'll run in, jump up on the couch, see us come in with the plates or bowl of popcorn and jump back down again. The rule we decided on was they're allowed on the couch except for when they are wet, or when we are eating. I suppose they understand it as, allowed on the couch unless told otherwise. We stuck to it and it works. If the OP wants to allow his dog up on the couch (and it may be a moot point as he might not have it anyway) then there's no reason he can't do it and still set boundaries and use it as a privilege. Their food treats are a reinforcer too, but because you feed the dog meals doesn't make the food any less of a reinforcer.

I found I didn't have to take them away to give them back. Just tighten the rules around it. Harley has always been allowed on the couch, so much so we had problems with him running into other peoples houses and bouncing on their furniture :o we taught "get off" and use it occasionally in our own house, but we never had to not allow him on the couch as a general rule, we just had to be stricter about it. Now we're doing the same with Phoe, they're not allowed on the couch if we're having food in front of the tv, so he'll run in, jump up on the couch, see us come in with the plates or bowl of popcorn and jump back down again. The rule we decided on was they're allowed on the couch except for when they are wet, or when we are eating. I suppose they understand it as, allowed on the couch unless told otherwise. We stuck to it and it works. If the OP wants to allow his dog up on the couch (and it may be a moot point as he might not have it anyway) then there's no reason he can't do it and still set boundaries and use it as a privilege. Their food treats are a reinforcer too, but because you feed the dog meals doesn't make the food any less of a reinforcer.

The difference I would see there is that you're not having agression issues with your dogs. Fair enough if you have a happy-go-lucky type dog you can bend the rules to suit. It would be my experience though that dogs exhibiting any agression need black and white type rules consistantly enforced. Any rewards like getting onto the couch must be earned over time with good behaviour.

Advertisement