Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please review?

• 08-09-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,

Just finished this website: http://prestocab.com

Any comments/criticisms much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Well done, i like it. Clear, simple and user friendly. Keep it up. Any news on hackneys? Or a Symbian app?

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

Cheers for the feedback mate. Not so sure about hackneys! As far as I know, they don't exist anymore...

I'm a bit anxious about IE... Haven't really tested it in IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm on Chrome and the email address covers the cab and looks unnecessary crowded. Also the test sizes vary a lot in sizes. I'd look at having the sizes a bit closer so that one doesn't get lost.

Looks good generally though and a good idea for a site.

when you say the "email address covers the cab", what do you mean?! Many thanks for taking the time to look at the site and reply to me.

yutta wrote: »
    when you say the "email address covers the cab", what do you mean?! Many thanks for taking the time to look at the site and reply to me.

At the top it has the Presto Cab logo. Also at the top it has the contact details with phone number and email address. The email address, and in particular the email envelope logo appears over the 'cab' part of 'presto cab'

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    At the top it has the Presto Cab logo. Also at the top it has the contact details with phone number and email address. The email address, and in particular the email envelope logo appears over the 'cab' part of 'presto cab'

Ah right. What size screen do you have?

It was an old 15 inch screen (4:3), but it was also the same on my iPhone Safari. On a different 17" screen here in work (16:9) it looks better

Hey, thanks for getting back. I'm not sure about what to do for smaller screens... I'm thinking of making everything smaller.

All the different text sizes are a bit of an issue at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Your site is a one pager with javascript show/hide type navigation. For many reasons I would have the site broken into separate, logical, semantic, pages.

From a glance at the code under the bonnet, the platform you have used to produce the page seems to use a lot of junk and out-of-date stuff (center tags!!). There's a lot of code which could easily be simplified and styles which could be managed more efficiently as an external file.

The above may affect ease of managing the site in the future.

Your phone number and email address are in graphics, they should be just text and the email address made into a mailto.

The SEO isn't great with few headings, missing alts and no enough attention to getting the keywords and phrases treated right.

What's wrong with <center> tags? lol...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They're obsolete.

I agree. On SEO, what simple tricks can I do to make the site perform better in google?

So I've decided to clear out all the CSS/Javascript into separate files thanks to trickyD. I'll be trying to present as much useful content to google as possible. I'm also starting a blog! (I know) Purely for SEO reasons... Do people read blogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

yutta, I'd reduce your logo area at least 20%. It takes lots of space and doesn't produce much sense to the visitor.
    If you are looking to rank anywhere in Google, it could be a good idea to take out all the <script> into a separate .js file.
    You also lack footer area. There could go lots of contextual link on your site with relevant keywords.

Overall a very nice colour scheme: appealing an doesn't irritate the eyes :)

Hey,

Many thanks for the reply. I'm still having lots of trouble with the SEO. I've taken the advice of you guys and stripped out all the javascript. I've even started a blog. But prestocab.com is still ranked nowhere on google when one types in the keywords "Order a taxi online".

I'm worried that my site doesn't have good site architecture - it's just a single page AJAXy site as oppposed to being made up of lots of different links.

The next step is to create a video? I'm hoping this will help.

I'm concerned that I'm blacklisted by google? I haven't been doing any black hat stuff, but perhaps the previous owner of my IP address was up to no good? Is it better to host the server in Ireland as opposed to in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

yutta, you need to do more on the page to start climbing the ranks.
    1. You don't have meta="keywords"
    2. Move your title tag to be straight after the head tag
    3. Check your h1, h2, h3 on the page. They should contain your keywords, not the random stuff (and you should have them)
    4. Adding blog is not just putting "blog" word there. It means to start writing real articles on your topic and arranging them on your site.

Unless you put more relevant content (text) on your site you won't rank high.
    Study your competition and see what they are doing to get there.

Hope this helps. ;)
    Best of luck!

Advertisement