Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best red dye for dark hair?

• 08-09-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

hey all! i want to dye my hair red but ive looked around and cant really find anything suitable. i have dark hair and want to get it looking something like this

[Embedded Image Removed]

any suggestions would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

You'd have to bleach it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Live XXL are good colours, use one of the lightest blonds to bleach it then use your red something like this one would be good.
    http://www.livecolor.com/products/colourintense/real-red-35/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

thanks for the advice! that schwarzkopf red looks like its what im after. didnt realise id have to bleach my hair first - ill give it a go and see how i get on!

one more question - ive read a bit online about how red is the worst colour for bleeding and it doesnt last too long. whats the best way of looking after my hair after i dye it? is there a special conditioner i should use or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

sonic85 wrote: »
    one more question - ive read a bit online about how red is the worst colour for bleeding and it doesnt last too long. whats the best way of looking after my hair after i dye it? is there a special conditioner i should use or something?

Dye your hair when it's greasy (sounds nasty but it works much better) and leave it without washing for AT LEAST 2 days afterwards (once again, nasty). Get a good shampoo and conditioner for coloured (my personal favs are Pantene or L'oreal Elvive). Regardless of what you do, the dye will bleed. Keeping it topped up is the only real way to prevent fading (esp if you are bleaching it first - it'll start to turn a dodgy pink colour after a while). I have naturally really dark hair ("black" if you will) and when I home dye it, it never turns out the predicted colour on the box. In the past I have bleached it first, best results are if you give it a few washes after bleaching, give it a day or two to get greasy(ish) and then dying it the next colour. With roots and trying to do it again it can be a pain in the bum. It does give a much better result than doing it directly on your own hair colour though so it's worth it int he sense.

Hope it turns out well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Jermone Russell powder bleach is probably best for bleaching you can get it in boots. And to keep the red the cheapest option would be something like crazy colour cos you can just keep topping up your hair with that one bottle for a while rather than buying a box of dye each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

sonic85 wrote: »

Id say quite the opposite, i've had my hair many different colours and have to say that red had the second best sticking power of them all (pink being the best) That said, the reds in the Live XXL range look good for 1 or 2 washes then go a bit coppery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Jermone Russell powder bleach is probably best for bleaching you can get it in boots. And to keep the red the cheapest option would be something like crazy colour cos you can just keep topping up your hair with that one bottle for a while rather than buying a box of dye each time.

my head burnt with that, i had to get it off after 5 minutes i couldnt take it

thanks for the advice everybody! i went out and got the bleach and live xxl so all i have to do now is give it a go! ill let you know how it turns out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

i have my hair bright red like that and i use crazy colour fire once a week to keep it vibrant. i dont bleach my hair i use l'oreal majirel hair colour 3/4 tube of 6.66 and 1/4 tube of red mix with 20 vol peroxide. but if you are colouring hair that has already been coloured or darker than dark blonde it will need to be cleansed or prelightend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Sarah bear where do you get the crazy colour? I had my dark brown hair dip dyed at th weekend and while the tips were bright red they faded a bit when I washed my hair :( hair dresser said no way would that happen but it has and I prefer the original vibrant red so want to be able to touch it up myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Until recently I always used the Jerome Russel BBlonde, but on a recommendation from a girl on a hair forum I tried Schwarzkopf Live in 00A Absolute Platinum instead and I find it far better. It got my hair much lighter and less yellow than the Jerome Russell and it didn't irritate my scalp at all.

I do agree with using something like Crazy Colour for the red. Personally I'd recommend Special Effects, which is available here. Either Candy Apple Red or Cherrybomb (or even better, a mixture of the two) should get you close to the colour you're looking for. If it's too much of a pain to order online though you should be able to find Crazy Colours Fire in a pharmacy or beauty supply shop. I had pretty terrible experiences with the Schwarzkopf Live reds, when I used them I was having to re-dye my hair every 2-3 washes, which worked out really expensive. At least with Special Effects/Crazy Colours you can pop the cap back on and save any unused product for later.

did the deed this weekend anyway and i think it turned out great! the only thing im a bit worried about now though is that its not gonna last very long. hopefully it will but if not ill have to try crazy colour like moonflower suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Sarah bear where do you get the crazy colour? I had my dark brown hair dip dyed at th weekend and while the tips were bright red they faded a bit when I washed my hair :( hair dresser said no way would that happen but it has and I prefer the original vibrant red so want to be able to touch it up myself

I get mine in Terrisales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    i have my hair bright red like that and i use crazy colour fire once a week to keep it vibrant. i dont bleach my hair i use l'oreal majirel hair colour 3/4 tube of 6.66 and 1/4 tube of red mix with 20 vol peroxide. but if you are colouring hair that has already been coloured or darker than dark blonde it will need to be cleansed or prelightend.
    I'm tempted to order those and use them on my hair. After numerous times using the Live XXL dye [I used to be happy with the way it turned out] I need another avenue so am looking at those 2 you mentioned, OR these [does it matter which one?]

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/Hair-Care-Styling-Tools-/11854/i.html?rt=nc&Treatment%2520Type=Hair%2520Bleach%2520%2526%2520Peroxide&_nkw=jerome%20russel&_dmpt=UK_Health_Beauty_Hair_Care_Hair_Colouring_Dyes_PP&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

or what should I do? I use the Crazy Colour on occasion too and find that really works, but looking to make it a bit brighter. What's the best option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

moonflower wrote: »
    Until recently I always used the Jerome Russel BBlonde, but on a recommendation from a girl on a hair forum I tried Schwarzkopf Live in 00A Absolute Platinum instead and I find it far better. It got my hair much lighter and less yellow than the Jerome Russell and it didn't irritate my scalp at all.

I do agree with using something like Crazy Colour for the red. Personally I'd recommend Special Effects, which is available here. Either Candy Apple Red or Cherrybomb (or even better, a mixture of the two) should get you close to the colour you're looking for. If it's too much of a pain to order online though you should be able to find Crazy Colours Fire in a pharmacy or beauty supply shop. I had pretty terrible experiences with the Schwarzkopf Live reds, when I used them I was having to re-dye my hair every 2-3 washes, which worked out really expensive. At least with Special Effects/Crazy Colours you can pop the cap back on and save any unused product for later.
    Do you think the Live XXL Platinum would work on my hair? It's a medium brown naturally, but has been dyed for 9 years a reddish colour! They do say not to use them on pre coloured hair, or do they??? :/

Advertisement