Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on which course please

Options
  • 08-09-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

:confused: hi i need some advice on a course to take.i,m 44 yrs old and was recently made redundant after 12 yrs working in a steel factory. all my previous jobs have been manual labour.i have a chance of a course at college to do a business studies FETAC level 5 course it will be 5 day week with one day work placement,my concern is that after so long away from education would i be up to it. my computer skills are very very basic and i don,t want to start the course and after a couple of weeks feel out of my depth. there is also a sport and recreation 3day week course which i fancy so i,m not sure what to do, both courses are ayr long and start at the same time. thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

avfc1874 wrote: »
    :confused: hi i need some advice on a course to take.i,m 44 yrs old and was recently made redundant after 12 yrs working in a steel factory. all my previous jobs have been manual labour.i have a chance of a course at college to do a business studies FETAC level 5 course it will be 5 day week with one day work placement,my concern is that after so long away from education would i be up to it. my computer skills are very very basic and i don,t want to start the course and after a couple of weeks feel out of my depth. there is also a sport and recreation 3day week course which i fancy so i,m not sure what to do, both courses are ayr long and start at the same time. thanks for any advice
    aaah, go for it sur! depends on you really. if you would like to chance the business course i wouldnt allow your computer skills to put you off as there are loads of courses on this. My dad is 60 next week and he's doing ECDL at the moment. if you think you would be suited more to sport/recreation, then do it! Best of luck:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

In my opinion, if you are able to join a forum, and post a reasonably written typed thread, then you are well able for fetac level 5, so go for it x ( I on th eother hand need help lol )

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

It depends entirely on you. Any tutor who teaches FETAC and is worth there salt will be there to help you. It can be daunting but remember everything starts at the start.
    The business course does involve a fair bit of computers but in all fairness everything does regardless of course.
    From people I know who have completed it the response is that it wasn't the computers that were an issue more an interest in the subject.

I would say think about what you really want to do. An interest in the subject really does help. It keeps you engaged and when it does get tough you are more likely to keep going. Others will be in your situation and everyone usually works together when needed. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

OP keep in mind that there may well be a module within that course for Computers & IT there was in the college I attended last year so this in itself will help with any computer woes you may have. Go for it I returned to Ed last year after 20+ years and I have never looked back. :)

Advertisement