Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Before Date on Wholemeal Oct 2010

Options
  • 08-09-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

We have a 2 kg pack of Odlums Stoneground Coarse Wholemeal which has a best before date of Oct 11, 2010.

Do you reckon it's still ok to use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

A brand new pack is ~€3. Not worth the risk, go on, splash out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

"Only" Oct last year? Why not just try it, and report back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Pour some into a bowl and stare at it really intently, if nothing is moving then its fine.

€3 is €3 after all, no point throwing it away if its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Thanks for all the replies :)

It's not the cost, though. It's potentially good food and would be a shame to have it take up room (none left !) in my bin and then get deposited in landfill when it could be put to better use.

I might try it and report back. If you don't hear anything assume the worst .... !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Eviledna wrote: »
    A brand new pack is ~€3. Not worth the risk, go on, splash out :p
    Risk? It's only a bit of flour. I'd use it for sure, OP. But then I can't waste food. Cannot throw things away unless it's totally unusable. If it looks fine, go for it.

• Advertisement

I must be the only one with a fear of flour weevils. :)

No need to throw it out though, just suggesting you don't put it inside you since it's past it's best. Alternative uses:

Wholemeal Play Dough
    Wholemeal face mask
    Salt dough Decorations...halloween is coming up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Eviledna wrote: »
    I must be the only one with a fear of flour weevils. :)

I opened a bag once to find about a million of these, the bag was two years out of date so that is now my benchmark for flour being gone off! :D

ugh! Between these and ants, I'd be happy to irradiate the lot! Apparently even the microwave won't kill weevils, but if you freeze the flour it will get rid of the adults, but not the eggs.... *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Its a best before date not a use by date. As other posters have said open it and if nothing moves I would def use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What if there was no BBD on the flour at all? simply do what you would have done then.

There usen't be BB on tinned food years ago, and not on sugar (dunno if there is now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Well? Did you survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

R.I.P :confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

:eek:

Advertisement