Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle legalities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I dont think an "air rifle" qualifies as a "firearm" does it? I had one in county galway as a kid with no licence.

Its just compressed air after all.

But i'm no expert in Irish Gun laws.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes an air rifle is a firearm hence the needing a license to own one. Anyone with an airrifle and no license is acting illegally or as its otherwise kown in possession of an illegal firearm.

As to the open days at ranges. Not sure myself. Day memberships are not allowed, but perhaps for the purpose of event days, through club firearms or the sort it is possible.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Unless its false advertising. :eek:
    Recently on a team building day we were told we were going to be going
    clay pigeon shooting which turned out that in fact it was going to be Laser Clay pigeon shooting!!! (which ended up getting cancelled)

~B

There is always that too. I mean have you found out or does it say that they are actually of sufficient wnergy to be classed as a firearm (above the 1 joule limit). If not then they could be fairground type rifles.

Only guessing here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Ezridax wrote: »
    Yes an air rifle is a firearm hence the needing a license to own one. Anyone with an airrifle and no license is acting illegally or as its otherwise kown in possession of an illegal firearm.

Seems wrong doesnt it? Considering there's no fire involved. Is a crossbow a "firearm"?

"A firearm is a weapon that launches one, or many, projectile(s) at high velocity through confined burning of a propellant."

• Advertisement

I don't agree with all air rifles being classified as firearms, but its what we have, for now.

As for the crossbow its deemed a restricted firearm under Irish law. Meaning the conditions to have, own, possess one are higher than for an unrestricted firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

somebody told me once that if the airgun is "rifled"as in a spinny thing down the barrell then its illegal , if not then its not
    maybe someone could correct me

Okay before i go further may i say i have feck all experience with air rifles so excuse any short comings with specifics on makes/models, etc.

The rifling of a barrel has no effect on its legality. Its the energy, caliber, size, style that makes it a firearm. Most shotguns and some/most air rifles are smooth bore. again its their energy, whether they use propellant to discharge the round, etc that makes it a firearm.

To the best of my knowledge in air rifle shooting the smoother the bore the better, but again i have limited eperience so stand to be corrected on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not sure about break-barrel airguns, can't remember looking the odd time I've picked one up, but ISSF air rifles and air pistols are definitely rifled.

As to the OP, they certainly look illegal - I can only think of two ways for them to be legal the way they're advertising, and those would be
    1. use airsoft toys instead of airguns (which are legally firearms); or
    2. get a 2(4)(e) authorisation from the local Garda Superintendent - if you had that, it would trump the club/range rules.

For those who've forgotten it:
    (e) the possession, use or carriage of a firearm (other than a shot-gun) of a calibre not exceeding .23 inches or of ammunition by a person operating a range or shooting gallery in an amusement hall or at a fun fair, carnival or other like event for the purposes of the range or shooting gallery who stands authorised in that behalf under this section or by a person using such range or shooting gallery,

The normal 2(4)(d) authorisation wouldn't cut it as the clients in this case wouldn't be annual members of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I was only chatting today with a bloke in work about that bit that allowed traveling fairgrounds to let punters fire the crossbows and metal firing pellet guns that you used to see years ago. (Have not seen any fairgrounds with them recently though)

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Me either - I thought insurance costs might well have killed them off.
    I could be wrong - I've never checked, only assumed - but I think this is how paintball gets away with running fields with people that come in without firearms licences and shoot for a day on what are legally club firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I wondering this myself at the game fair in birr. there was a stall where you could take a few shots with a gamo air rifle. Was thinking it was strange that its illegal for me to let someone I know take a shot from my firearm but its seemed ok for these guys to charge complete strangers for the same priviledge!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 goshawker

im in the north and used to travel across the border for some air rifle competitions, and we needed to get a license for them,
    also it is illegal to use an air rifle to kill any living creature in the south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote: »
    Not sure about break-barrel airguns, can't remember looking the odd time I've picked one up, but ISSF air rifles and air pistols are definitely rifled.
    The vast majority of break-barrel air rifles are rifled too.
    My BSA Meteor back in the 70's was rifled, as has every other break-barrel I've seen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

goshawker wrote: »
    also it is illegal to use an air rifle to kill any living creature in the south

Just want to point out that this is NOT true. They can be used on rabbits and any species where rifle is listed as an allowable method under derogation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pcash

before the shop or on line company that is selling compressed air riffles you have to get a gun licence of the garda ,other then that yes you need a gun licence ,i'm not talking about airsoft they are toys you can hunt rabbits etc whit a compressed air riffle

Zombie thread.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement