Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killaloe is a seaside town according to the National Tidy Towns Committee

• 08-09-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading the Clare Champion this afternoon and I was shocked to read that I am now living in a "seaside town". Thankfully, these people are not running Bord Failte :mad:

Here is a copy of the Champion's report -

"Not quite beside the sea in Killaloe"
    Written by Owen Ryan
    KILLALOE may well be on the waterways but it has moved some 50 miles or more west, if we are to believe the Tidy Towns report.
    Residents of the heritage town on the shores of Lough Derg were no doubt pleased to learn on its three-point improvement on the 2010 showing in the Tidy Towns contest.
    But on reading the adjudication report, they may have been quite surprised to learn they are living in a “well-known, landmark seaside town”.

The general impression section of the report on Killaloe sounds as if it might have been more suitable for Kilkee. All that was missing was a reference to a golden, sandy beach.
    It reads, “Killaloe is a most attractive town enjoying a magnificent setting on the Atlantic Ocean. Your committee now seems to be organising yourselves well in your efforts to maintain the charm of this well-known, landmark, seaside town. Certainly, on the day of adjudication, the busy seaside town had a lovely ambience and was most welcoming to the visitor. The driving commitment of the Tidy Towns Committee is proving a great asset and will continue to enhance the town’s natural advantages.”

While the general impression section of the report makes reference to Killaloe being by the sea, in the landscaping section of the report the adjudicators seemed to be aware that, in fact, Killaloe enjoys a riverside location. “Killaloe certainly exploits its wonderful location at the river’s edge. The newly completed canal walk is a great achievement. The wall repairs and new surfacing has been carried out to a high standard and was being used by a large number of walkers during the adjudicators’ visit.”

A spokesman for Tidy Towns acknowledged on Wednesday that there had been an error and said the references to Killaloe being by the sea would be amended.
    Overall, Killaloe took 264 marks out of a possible 400, up from 261 last year. It scored particularly well in terms of its overall development approach, a section in which it took 41 of a possible 50 marks.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7476:not-quite-beside-the-sea-in-killaloe&catid=74:general&Itemid=60

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

:D:D:D

Yeah, read that too. And to be honest, I wasn't that surprised.
    Just shows what kind of people run the committee.
    Or not only the committee, but the tourist business as such. I've had the most amazing or rather laughable experiences in this regard.

I have to add that I'm kind of working in the tourist business, that is, I write travel books and magazine articles mainly on Ireland, have to travel a lot and to talk to people in the business. The ignorance I come across now and again (not always, mind) is sometimes staggering.

On the other hand, living in East Clare myself, I wouldn't mind to live suddenly by the seaside :D.
    I often imagine to look out of my door in the morning and suddenly see the Atlantic lapping at a sandy beach down in the valley, instead of rolling hills... ah, well...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Carry wrote: »
    :D:D:D

On the other hand, living in East Clare myself, I wouldn't mind to live suddenly by the seaside :D.
    I often imagine to look out of my door in the morning and suddenly see the Atlantic lapping at a sandy beach down in the valley, instead of rolling hills... ah, well...:rolleyes:
    I love living my the shores of Lough Derg too but there is something wonderful about the Atlantic Ocean. If my lotto numbers came up, I'd buy a holiday home in Doolin, Ballyvaughan, Fanore or Loop Head :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

When I was a babs here in Ogonnelloe, looking across at the Tipp hills, I used to think it was England. Turns out I was wrong. It's actually the USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

That's funny, when I was child, I used to think that England was where the posh red brick houses are on the Ennis Road in Limerick.

Advertisement