Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air-rifle clubs for Colleges/Uni's and others

Options
  • 08-09-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Apologies for yet another post about air-rifles they have been on my mind the last day or two :D

I recently visited UL (University in Limerick) as a NON student to join up for
    one of its societies. The great thing is that you don't have to be a
    student or member of the university to join and participate with the sports and activities that are provided by the University.
    You can be a complete outsider of any age and still join some society's
    and clubs. :D

The Facilities in UL are amazing they cater for so many sports and activities
    that is totally mind blowing. Two in particular struck in my mind. Archery and Airsoft.
    Both had societies both were sports that involved projectiles, possible making holes in paper.

It got me thinking what kind of effort or what kind issues would students face if they decided they would like to try and form a
    society and club to shoot Olympic style Air-rifle or Air-pistol style shooting. :eek

UCD have a rifle club so I'm asking the question why cant UL have the same! :)

If your a full time member of a rifle club then you should be able to legally
    be allowed to shoot with club rifles. Which means members of a club would not need to be a
    firearms owners and not need to be individually licensed firearms owners. Thus allowing full club members (that sign up yearly)
    being perfectly entitled to shoot firearms that belong to the club.
    (I am assuming and an open to correction) If you bring societies into the equation you could have both students and non students being legally allowed to shoot a rifle without needing to be the owner of that rifle.
    That in turn would encourage the sport of target shooting and encourage people to license their own guns and promote the sport.

So that would leave an awful lot of red-tape issues with safety, range requirements, safety officers convincing the powers that be to green light it.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's no legal obstacle to it at all, that's how UCD and DURC were and are set up.
    Your problem would be UL. The college has to grant permission for all this, and (eventually) make facilities available and grant funding and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Do the couple of existing University clubs (UCD and DURC) date from a happier time when guns were merely pieces of (relatively) everyday unremarkable equipment, not the possessed-by-Satan harbingers of the apocalypse they appear to be regarded as nowadays?

What I'm getting as is, are they 'grandfathered', and would they have any chance of being established now if they didn't already exist?

It's occasionally said that there's no way Monaco would get approval for a F1 Grand Prix if it applied for one out of the blue today; I'm wondering if college shooting clubs might be somewhat similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I'd love to do something like that in UL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rovi wrote: »
    Do the couple of existing University clubs (UCD and DURC) date from a happier time when guns were merely pieces of (relatively) everyday unremarkable equipment, not the possessed-by-Satan harbingers of the apocalypse they appear to be regarded as nowadays?

What I'm getting as is, are they 'grandfathered', and would they have any chance of being established now if they didn't already exist?

It's occasionally said that there's no way Monaco would get approval for a F1 Grand Prix if it applied for one out of the blue today; I'm wondering if college shooting clubs might be somewhat similar?

Nope. Durc dates from the 1950s, yes - but Ucdrc was founded in the early 90s IIRC, smack in the middle of the bad old days.

Advertisement