Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boundary question?

• 08-09-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Farmer friend looking for an answer, his land is bordered by a river that is maintained by the opw, I don't know if there is currently a fence or whether its a fence that needs maintaining he's asking about but if anyone can shed some light as to who's responsible for fencing/maintaining he'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭johnboy6930

if he owns the land around that the river flows through.i would say he would be responsible for the fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Thanks johnboy, I don't think he owns the land on the other side so his land would end on the bank? Does the opw have responsibility for a certain distance from rivers edge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

gbob wrote: »
    Thanks johnboy, I don't think he owns the land on the other side so his land would end on the bank? Does the opw have responsibility for a certain distance from rivers edge?

Rivers are different & complicated!

Sometimes the landowner owns the river, half of it or none of it.

I think he needs to bring his deeds to a solicitor.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I would think irrespective of owenership of the river the farmer would have an obligation to contain his stock.
    In relation to an OPW maintained chanel, I think as a general rule of thumb they replace existing fencing if they have to remove it for drainage purposes. If they can work away around the fence they will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Bizzum wrote: »
    I would think irrespective of owenership of the river the farmer would have an obligation to contain his stock.
    In relation to an OPW maintained chanel, I think as a general rule of thumb they replace existing fencing if they have to remove it for drainage purposes. If they can work away around the fence they will too.
    A farmer has the responsibility of keeping his stock inside his boundaries at all times.

As to OPW replacing fencing, you are having a laugh. Every time they come in here to 'maintain' the river, about a mile of fence wire disappears under stone and weeds. I now have to take photos of the entire bounds when they are about to enter to have any chance of them not burying all the wire and breaking every stake there. It takes numerous phone calls and a solicitors letter last time to get the bounds repaired

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    A farmer has the responsibility of keeping his stock inside his boundaries at all times.

As to OPW replacing fencing, you are having a laugh. Every time they come in here to 'maintain' the river, about a mile of fence wire disappears under stone and weeds. I now have to take photos of the entire bounds when they are about to enter to have any chance of them not burying all the wire and breaking every stake there. It takes numerous phone calls and a solicitors letter last time to get the bounds repaired

I won't argue with you on this. None of our land bounds OPW chanels, thankfully! I do see the OPW out and about fencing and I have often spoke to them on the topic but I suppose it's a different matter when you're dealing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Must rivers be fenced now? If in REPS yes, but what about if you're not in or finished with REPS?

MfMan wrote: »
    Must rivers be fenced now? If in REPS yes, but what about if you're not in or finished with REPS?
    All i know is you must keep your animals on your property at all times. Just out of reps 3 so must move fences back in to edge of the river and afaik once the animals dont trespass or you dont have animals then you have no problem. And unlike reps3, temporary fencing is ok

But saying that, i must ring my planner just to make sure what the rules actually are

Bizzum wrote: »
    I won't argue with you on this. None of our land bounds OPW chanels, thankfully! I do see the OPW out and about fencing and I have often spoke to them on the topic but I suppose it's a different matter when you're dealing with them.
    Sorry for getting on a rant but the OPW due back again this year and now the new wetlands SI is getting under my skin too. Apologies on the tone, it wasnt directed at you:o

5live wrote: »
    Sorry for getting on a rant but the OPW due back again this year and now the new wetlands SI is getting under my skin too. Apologies on the tone, it wasnt directed at you:o

Not a bother on your tone.
    I know it can be frustrating dealing with some of these bodies, I deal quite a bit with the OPW too, but not in relation to our own land.
    I do know they are getting it harder and harder to be 'indescriminate' and are under orders from many vested interests nowadays.
    Nothing like a few photo's to tighten the dung in them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm inclined to agree with Lost on this one, it should be clearly marked on deeds map where the boundary is.

Reps has made it awkward though as people who 'own' the river had to fence cattle away from the river, leading to confusion now that ppl are finishing up in reps 3.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement