Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wandering staffs

• 08-09-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Last week I was out with my two dogs (shah tzu and 4mth terrier x) and a man cane up to me and warned me of two big dogs on the loose further down the road. My house was only 5 mins away so thankfully by the time I got back we didn't run into them.

Today, I was walking my shih tzu to the vet and when I got to the top of my road, I saw two staff dogs running about. I had a feeling it was the dogs the man warned me of last week so I turned to walk back to my house and jump in the car but when I turned back to look, I saw a man and woman who I thought were with the dogs so I began to walk back up the road.

How wrong was I! The dogs rand straight for me and jumped on my poor dog,knocking her to the ground. I tried to keep walking her when she got up, trying to ignore the other dogs. I shouted at the couple did they own the dogs and they said no, walking off and leaving me trying to fend the dogs of my one.

Eventually I got some space,and quickly picked my dog up and began walking. The two dogs followed me, jumping up behind me, to try and get my dog. One dogs paw hit my back, and his jaw got a bit of my dogs tail but she was unhurt.

A woman was standing across the road looking at all this and called me to get into her car. When I did the two dogs ran over and circled my car. All the children were walking home from school and I had a fear they would turn on them.

They ran out into the middle of the road to and old man with his dog. A car driving nearly knocked them down and the old man fended them off with his walking stick.

Anyway, long story short, the post man came along and knew where the dogs lived and called to the house but no answer. So myself and the kind lady rang the guards and eventually the dog warden turned up and said they were rb and shouldn't be roaming etc. If they weren't claimed they would be sent to dogs trust.

When I eventually got to the vets I explained what happened to her and she said "well you know what's going to happen there! They will prob be put down. Sad to say, but they could have got at the children".

I hope these two aren't put down. It's the owners not taking responsible actions to keep them safely secure, not the dogs fault. But at the same time, I panicked that they were going to maul my little pooch. I rang my bf and was shaking after the ordeal.

Sorry for my long rant! Just annoys me how some people don't look after their pets!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Where are you based OP?

Just out of interest as your warden is giving out incorrect information. The dogs will go to the pound as strays where the owner will have 5 days to reclaim them.

Don't feel bad, you did what you had to do and unfortunately for those dogs they have a sucky owner. With any luck there'll be a rescue working with the pound they went to and they might have a shot of getting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

I'm based in drumcondra.

The warden did say they had 5 days to be claimed or they would be sent to dogs trust. It was my vet that said they would probably be put down...

I suppose if I see them knocking around again, I'll know they were claimed. Hopefully the owners have the cop on to get them to an obedience class considering the growled at a woman when she was trying to get them out of her driveway!

Advertisement