Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner permit question

• 08-09-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I sent off for my learner permit on the 4th of August and it still has not arrived.
    But I recieved a little slip to say that they have agknowledged my details ect.
    Is it possible for me to take any driving lessons with this slip ?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

No, you need to have the actual permit in your hand to take lessons, which is understandably frustrating!

My brother passed his test about 2 months ago, and the Dundalk MTO took a month to get his full licence to him (they said it would take that long beforehand, there's apparently a backlog).

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

No, you need to have the actual permit in your hand to take lessons, which is understandably frustrating!

My brother passed his test about 2 months ago, and the Dundalk MTO took a month to get his full licence to him (they said it would take that long beforehand, there's apparently a backlog).

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)
    It is frustrating all right, just hope I dont have to wait too long more

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You probably won't have to wait too much longer. I'd say next week it'll come!

Were you told anything about a backlog or a particularly long waiting time when applying for your LP? (assuming you went into the Motor Tax Office, instead of applying by post).

You probably won't have to wait too much longer. I'd say next week it'll come!

Were you told anything about a backlog or a particularly long waiting time when applying for your LP? (assuming you went into the Motor Tax Office, instead of applying by post).
    They never said anything about a backlog when I went in on the 4th of August, but my dad went in last week to renew his full license and they said that there's an 8 week backlog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

If you were in the tax office and got your reciept with what will be your licence number, most driving instructors accept that as it has all the relevant information.

• Advertisement

ADIDriving wrote: »
    If you were in the tax office and got your reciept with what will be your licence number, most driving instructors accept that as it has all the relevant information.

Thank you. I'll look into that so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭emer12

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    ADIDriving wrote: »

Thank you. I'll look into that so

I suggest you ring motor tax office and give them the reference number , I did mine in Dublin office in Smithfield and it didn't even take a week it shouldn't take more 1 1/2 weeks make sure the cheque u gave them has been cashed if not there is s problem maybe your lost in the system :(

Also you CANNOT drive unless you have licence and any driving school that takes you on is not a good one ! The law is you need licence end of ,,,,, make sure. You get a good school to teach you

If it doesnt come this week ill defo be ringing them !

Just got my learner permit in the post today after waiting since the 4th of August.
    Must be some sort of back log all right :rolleyes:

Advertisement