Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just 1 Image for C&C please :)

Options
  • 08-09-2011 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Picture taken this evening of the Aviva.

Would love to hear your C&C

2ursgv9.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Too dark, too blue/green, too centred. Basically boring and uninteresting. Sorry!

It needs that sky to be a bit more alive. There's something blue in the bottom of the frame that could be cropped out - is it where you rested your camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

The blue along the bottom left? That's actually a reflection

I probably should have some less sky and more reflection. I used a tripod so probably had it aimed to high, though if I moved it lower you would get the railing in then :(

Focal length was 28mm which was as wide as I could go and my camera was right back against the wall in order to fit the whole stadium in...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Is this photo straight out of the camera ? As Pullandbang says it is a bit uninteresting and boring but don't let that put you off photography. That is the scene you saw.
    Most photographers who post pics here spend hours and hours tweaking their photos in some post processing software or other.
    I was just thinking about how inadequate our digital cameras are, even the most expensive ones. When you see how much money is spent on the software to enhance the photos which are taken with a digital camera.
    I often ask myself is it really necessary to manipulate the photos we take of boring and uninteresting scenes just to make them look so unlike the scene we actually see through the cameras viewfinder.
    The main thing about our hobby is to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'd say the colour balance could be adjusted to make it a bit warmer maybe?

I'm reading the Art of Photography by Bruce Barnbaum and in it he says that if a subject doesn't grab you as interesting immediately, it's probably not worth photographing. Did this scene "grab" you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I think the blue/green is lovely but I agree that it lacks a point of interest. If it was me I think I'd have centred it more and maybe done a panoramic crop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

Would this kind of shot benefit from following some of the rules of static car photography?

They seem to strike me as both being about the overall shape, as opposed to a focal point.

I actually quite like this shot as it displays the shape and steel/glass structure well, I'm also quite partial to the palette and the flare from the lamps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

OP, Could you tell us a bit more about what you were trying to achieve with this photo?

In what area would you like advice so that the C&C can be directed accordingly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Hi,

Picture taken this evening of the Aviva.

Would love to hear your C&C

It looks a bit dull and lifeless. It also looks a bit soft. Using a larger aperture
    would probably sharpen it up a bit. At f/22, you will lose some sharpness due
    to diffraction. Try something around f/8.

There is nothing about the composition that catches my eye. Maybe
    you could zoom out a bit so that you have more room to play
    with the position of the stadium. Another night might provide a more
    interesting sky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hbr wrote: »
    At f/22, you will lose some sharpness due
    to diffraction.
    i doubt you'd see much difference in sharpness due to diffraction at the res it's posted at above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

As a take on 'stadium at rest', I think it works and quite like it. A tad wider on the zoom if it were possible (noted above it wasn't) but nice all the same. Something restful/serene.

• Advertisement
Advertisement