Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just exactly HOW realistic do you want it to be?!! (Rant)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

gamercfc wrote: »
    Don't have a go at me. It's not me who is comparing both games.

No but you are the one that is giving out about people making those comparsions. The point was that Forza and Gran Turismo both aim to be as realistic as possible so therefore comparing them based on realism is perfectly valid and should not be a target for your derision.

And based on that comparsion, driving a Micra round the M50 at 100kph is not the same as taking a prototype Audi around the Nürburgring at full pelt. Hence realistic racing games exist and will be compared based on their realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I don't really encounter this attitude much really. I mean, yeah as mentioned already , of course you are going to get this with racing sims and that's perfectly normal.

People saying they won't play BF3 cause its not realistic? Bf3 is not supposed to be realistic and I really am surprised there'd be people that say that. People saying that they would prefer to play a sim over BF3 because they enjoy more realistic games, is fair enough (arma 3 v bf3 for example)

But they are totally different genres. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing Oblivion, I felt like it was becoming a career rather than a game, advancing up the ranks of different guilds, I know this happens in other games but Oblivion made it seem like work. I think people like realistic games perhaps because they can say yeah I can be a sniper too, I've played a realistic fps game so I can also do it. There is an appeal in photorealistic graphics, although stylized can be fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Orim wrote: »
    No but you are the one that is giving out about people making those comparsions. The point was that Forza and Gran Turismo both aim to be as realistic as possible so therefore comparing them based on realism is perfectly valid and should not be a target for your derision.

And based on that comparsion, driving a Micra round the M50 at 100kph is not the same as taking a prototype Audi around the Nürburgring at full pelt. Hence realistic racing games exist and will be compared based on their realism.

Yeah exactly I AM giving out about people making the comparisons so just stop where you are right now and have a go at them people for it and don't tell me the difference between Forza and GT because I never said sh*t about any of the differences between them so just pack it there, go back and read it again.

Perfectly valid? You missed my point completely. I don't agree with complaining about ANY game for it's sense of realism. At the end of the day they're both played by using a controller pad and for some, a steering wheel controller.

And if I want to make them a target then I will because it p*sses me off when people want realism from a f*cking VIDEO GAME! Then bash it because it "ISN'T" realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

It really depends on the mood I'm in, but some games can really go too far with being ditzy, Left 4 Dead compared to Dead Rising is a good example

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I like my games, the same way I like my films/tv/books etc. Give me a bit of unreality/escapism anyday. I prefered when video games knew they were video games, & didn't try to simulate reality in ways that simply can't be done.

Classics like Zelda - Links Awakening, has absolutely no basis in reality...yet is one of the greatest games ever made. The same can be said of games which most people favour.

Reality is good to a point, but in the video games industry, entertainment & imagination are far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I know people that wont play Soul Calibur because the swords dont cut off the opponents limbs, when I try explaining its a game and is more about the balance and fighting than the realism they just zone out, I have never put down a game due to Suspension of disbelief, that would be nuts but would explain why some gamers turn their noses up at oldschool 2D, they think it looks like a chartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People get hung up on realism because thats how that particular title presents itself. Games like TF2, Mario, etc. do not, and are not held to that standard. However games that stress how realistic their bull**** is, are going to be. People have an expectation of certain things when they are engaged into a Reality that a game represents. In mario I expect that when I jump on things they die unless they are spiky or flamey or otherwise dangerous looking. Whereas in Gran Turismo they spend such an inordinate amount of time perfecting car details and track physics that you expect that when/if you crash into something that the damage should show up - yet it doesn't. Which just suspends your disbelief. On the other hand, burnout prides itself on cranking tunes and hitting a physically impossible amount of objects and nitro burns to have fun, and I have no problem with that. Ace Combat too, is a game that is very realistic but where it counts. People want to enjoy the thrill of 'dogfighting' even though no such thing really exists anymore and most of the flight mechanics wouldn't be considered realistic. The point though is the game is fun, and successfully suspends disbelief.

when people complain that you can't lean left in a video game, and that that feature destroys the feel of the game: the designer has failed somewhere. And it's not necessarily because they didn't include the leaning feature but rather they caused the player to anticipate that the feature should have been there.

This will explain my case perhaps a little better (for film):

and by the way, is a great film if you want to learn all about the suspension of belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I know some people who are almost the same age as me but didn't really play much video games (well, they play them but WAY more casually than I and most people do) and they say that they wouldn't touch a PS2, PS1 or Megadrive because "the graphics suck" ehhm....

Yeah I hate it when they compare current gen graphics to the older ones. Stupid really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

gamercfc wrote: »
    I know some people who are almost the same age as me but didn't really play much video games (well, they play them but WAY more casually than I and most people do) and they say that they wouldn't touch a PS2, PS1 or Megadrive because "the graphics suck" ehhm....

Yeah I hate it when they compare current gen graphics to the older ones. Stupid really.

They are the same kinda people who wouldn't watch classic movies because "sure, the special effects are sh1te". Their loss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm kind of scratching my head at all the reviews saying that Xenoblade is a bad looking game. It's one of the best looking games this generation despite being on the Wii. Is it really that hard to get over the lack of shader maps and low polygon models?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AdamD wrote: »
    Cod is extremely unrealistic yet popular.
    It's popular, as you don't need to know how bullet drop works.

=-=

[troll]If you want realistic, would you like to buy a new game every time you died?[/troll]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm kind of scratching my head at all the reviews saying that Xenoblade is a bad looking game. It's one of the best looking games this generation despite being on the Wii. Is it really that hard to get over the lack of shader maps and low polygon models?
    Wait what.

Xenoblade runs on WII??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

i hear ye op.

I remember when i was a young fella and seen the first stars movie.Thought it was brill.then I watched the second one and thought it was ****e,Way too far fetched for my liking.

if games were realistic no one would use a sniper class.It would involve logging on to a map 3 days before anyone else logged,get your camping spot,have a 20 second kill window and then you'd have to log out before you were spotted.

Realistic !=fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭briany

Creativity often arises from having limited tools or abilities and having to make do with what you have. For example, some old audio chips back in the day (the 80s) had little or no polyphonic capabilities, therefore programmers would have to have them play rapid arpeggiated sequences instead of chords to give the illusion of polyphony. This practically gave rise to whole new school of composition and is still being done today in some decidedly retro styled games and the 8-bit music genre.

I like my games to be immersive. Immersion is not just brought about by realistic graphics, AI or whatever other singular mechanic you care to mention but all too often, sadly, it is route one for developers with the pockets to make it happen. The other route is great gameplay and thankfully we're seeing a renaissance in indie developers who are realizing this and providing it. Pretty much out of necessity ,as far as I can tell, because EA sure as hell were not going to do it.

Here's some interesting thoughts on the matter. (Skip to 2:38)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Goddamn, I miss Rab & Ryan.

Advertisement