Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears 3: What was the Beta like?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

I missed it, so I have no idea what Gears of War 3 will be like, I've seen gameplay videos but I'm wierd as I never can tell until I actually play it to notice a difference. Is it better than Gears of War 2 from what the Beta provided?

None of my friends played Gears 2, they all said it was horrible but I liked it. Was nowhere near as fast paced as Gears 1 but I still enjoyed it, i just felt lonely most of the time playing it lol

I have one group of friends telling me Gears 3 is (is going to be) way better than Gears 2 and another friend saying that it better not be the same as Gears 2 or he's trading it in lol (and he played the Beta but talks as though he never played the game at all)

So all beta players, was it good? I'm hoping to burn a few hours out of it before I move house as I'll have no broadband for a while when that happens :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I hate saying the same stuff over and over again, because it makes me sound like a fanboy, but most of the people on here who talk about the beta seem to have played it for half an hour, and raged at shotguns. I thought the beta was fantastic. I found that with the first two games, the multiplayer was unplayable unless you mastered the shotgun. This time around, the Retro Lancer is the anti-shotgun. Rubbish at long-range, but if you catch a running shotgunner at that awkward middle-range, you'll tear them to shreds. Basically, once you're aware of your surroundings, and don't let someone sneak up in your face, you'll be fine. Gameplay is a lot quicker, too. Instead of stalemates where two people can hide behind cover and just blind fire at each other, there's a new cover mechanic. If you hop over a wall, you'll kick anyone on the opposite side in the face, knock them back and stun them for a sec. Long enough to destroy them with a shotgun. Basically, you can't just camp behind cover anymore. New weapons are great. Sawn off shotgun seems ridiculously overpowered at first, but stats from the beta showed that the Gnasher got way more kills. Basically, sawn off is very noob friendly. The one shot is hefty and slow, but it kills instantly and turns anyone into a pulp. Smoke grenades now stun, so throw one in and wreck with your shotgun. Experience system is nice, too. You get extra XP for doing longer, more humiliating executions at the risk of getting killed. Lots of medals and ribbons to earn, without it making me feel dirty as if I was playing COD. Dedicated servers are really smooth, too. All I can think of for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

I played the Beta once each week to unlock the skins. Mainly because I don't have much interest in the Versus Multiplayer, I prefer to do Single/Co-op Campaign and Horde etc. As the post above said, from the Beta anyway, they seem to have attempted to balance versus a lot more, though I didn't play enough to say for sure. The game seems to run a bit smoother on the improved engine so it's not quite as sluggish.

I thoroughly enjoyed Gears 2, far more than the first one, I found the first one more slow paced than the second and it runs better too in my experience, and the introduction of Horde alone kills the first one.

The online experience as a whole should be vastly improved in Gears 3 due to the introduction of dedicated servers. All in all Gears 3 should be a great game for anyone who enjoyed the first two. I'd recommend getting Co-op partner/partners for campaign, you can have 4 players total now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Retro lancer makes it very duck and cover which can get boring and annoying.
    Your guns work all the time:D
    Games are quite fast paced now
    Graphics are a good bit crisper
    Dedicated servers are brilliant and make the game enjoyable
    The weapons skins are a bit annoying as it makes them a bit CODdy
    All in all I thourghly enjoyed it and can't wait for the full game:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

As with above, I really enjoyed the Beta.. Had some great matches on it, looks like the full game should be great.. some great new modes for horde where u can be the locusts. Running around as a ticker should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

gamercfc wrote: »
    I missed it, so I have no idea what Gears of War 3 will be like, I've seen gameplay videos but I'm wierd as I never can tell until I actually play it to notice a difference. Is it better than Gears of War 2 from what the Beta provided?

None of my friends played Gears 2, they all said it was horrible but I liked it. Was nowhere near as fast paced as Gears 1 but I still enjoyed it, i just felt lonely most of the time playing it lol

I have one group of friends telling me Gears 3 is (is going to be) way better than Gears 2 and another friend saying that it better not be the same as Gears 2 or he's trading it in lol (and he played the Beta but talks as though he never played the game at all)

So all beta players, was it good? I'm hoping to burn a few hours out of it before I move house as I'll have no broadband for a while when that happens :(

I'm not the biggest fan of Gears multiplayer but I did have a good time with this game. If you were a fan of the original games multiplayer then I would definitely recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I thought it was a lot of fun. There were a lot of people complaining about the new weapons even though-
    -1 The retro lancer is more powerful, but useless at long range and the charge leaves you prone for a few seconds, i only used it when i was outnumbered to take one with me.
    -2 The sawn-off is very good at point blank range, but so is the gnasher (and you get more bullets and faster reload).

Despite all of this, they caved to the bitchers and in the full game the sawn-off will have reduced effectiveness (if you don't kill, it does no damage at all), as will the retro (less effective at close range blind-fire) so they are pretty much redundant now.

There were also a few badly thought out spawn points that encouraged spawn-camping (thrashball and trenches) but happily they have been fixed so there'll be none/less of that. I loved the sandstorm in trenches, too. Gives you the cover to go grab the mortar if it was being covered by the one-shot, or just to charge up the hill and take the trench, which can be nearly impossible otherwise at times.

Overall I had a great time with the beta. highlight was when we were up against a team of pros who had come over from the pro servers and (as always happened) they were messing with us and boosting their stats until a friend of mine threw a grenade and took them all with it. That p*ssed them off and they just killed us then but it was worth it. In general, teams were fairly evenly matched by the server and plenty of great games were had with nailbiting finishes. The only question now is do i plough through the campaign mode first or get on to the multiplayer first while the competition is a little softer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

I loved Gears of War 1. But I hated Gears of War 2. But I have to say I loved the Gears of War 3 beta. Movement/Cover system felt good again compared to GoW2. I'm just hoping from beta to gold the game didn't change too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Iroquois

Played it, loved and then pre-ordered the Epic Edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

review up, since everywhere else seems to be putting theirs up

http://clickonline.com/games/review-gears-of-war-3/3167/

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Compared to the abortion that is Gow 2. The beta was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Is there a mega thread for this here on boards somewhere as I cant find it if so....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Tinie wrote: »
    Is there a mega thread for this here on boards somewhere as I cant find it if so....

tihsssssssssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

gamercfc wrote: »

It was horrible, buggy and riddled with lag, what ever you do dont buy this game when it comes out, i recommend you get Call of Juarez: The Cartel already if you havent quality game...

Advertisement