Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A great little barn find

• 09-09-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi
    A friend of mine called me up and asked me was I interested in an old Johnson 25hp short shaft outboard he had found while cleaning out a shed for the old lady he works for that he was told to throw in the skip.
    He told me it was about 30 years old so i was a bit hesitant but I said ill have a look at it anyway.When he brought it up i couldnt believe my eyes as even though it was all dirty and dusty it was obviously brand new and had never even been started EVER! and was complete with fuel line and fuel tank that has never seen petrol.This thing was bought back in the 70`s put in a shed and stayed there till now.
    This engine without exageration looks like it came out of the factory yesterday!!
    The model number is 25BRL73A
    I am not on here to advertise it for sale I am looking to see if anyone knows what sort of money it is worth.It is of no use to me so I dont want to try run it or even put fuel in it as my boat takes a long shaft engine and plus I only bought a new engine last season.

Any ideas would be great thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi paddy,I'm more into restoring mrec's but as far as I can tell it's a 73 rope start. First things first don't! try to start it till you do these few jobs,
    1) Mix some two stroke with petrol and put a squirt into each cylinder and let it sit for a few days.

2) Rebuild the carb, the rubbers in it are mean't to be kept wet with fuel so after 30 years they may have perished.

3) Replace the impeller like the other rubbers these will become dry and brittle from not been used and will break off and clog up the water flow to the engine.

They are not the prettiest engine in the world I prefer the old red and white ones also there is not a big market for short shaft's or older engines that need a bit of TLC but to the right guy with a classic boat it could be what he's looking for "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" :D

Stick it on ebay or adverts.ie and see what sort of offers you get, I might even stick a bit on it just because I like old engines, If you could only find the boat that it was on in unused condition now that would be nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Hey paddymick, if you do decide to sell it id be very interested. I have a johnson 25hp on my shetland at the moment and im looking for a replacement. sure pm me if you decide to sell it :)

Advertisement