Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleting post from previous account

Options
  • 09-09-2011 5:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I want to delete one single post (or at least part of a post) that I posted using a previous account I had on boards.ie a couple of years ago. I have my reason for deleting it but they're mainly personal. It contributes nothing to the thread it was posted in and no-one in the thread quoted the post.

Obviously I'm not going to go into greater detail about this matter publicly here, so all I'd like to know is who's the best person to PM to sort out the issue.

Thanks very much for your help!

Sincerely,

Killer Pigeon

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You'd have to PM any of forum moderators which houses said post. So for example, if you posted it in the Motors forum, you'd have to send PMs to one or two of the Motors mods. Bear in mind they are under no obligation to delete it if it became a point of discussion, or if it was quoted elsewhere in the thread and then a discussion broke off from it separately.

I hope the above makes sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Shield wrote: »
    You'd have to PM any of forum moderators which houses said post. So for example, if you posted it in the Motors forum, you'd have to send PMs to one or two of the Motors mods. Bear in mind they are under no obligation to delete it if it became a point of discussion, or if it was quoted elsewhere in the thread and then a discussion broke off from it separately.

Thanks, I didn't expect such a hasty reply at this time in the morning :)

Just another point of information. I don't have the password for the particular account in question, so I can't access it. Though I used the same e-mail I'm using for this account. Someone should be able to compare the IP address, shouldn't they? I thought this issue would be a little bit more complex which is why I posted it here. Should this be a problem?

No discussion broke off from the post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Well if you tell the forum moderators what the name of your other account was, they should also be able to verify that, and delete the post you refer to should they choose to do so.

Shield wrote: »

Thanks for that. Also, just one more question, will the post continue to be visible in google searches if it is deleted?

No. If the forum moderators decide they can delete the post without it derailing the thread, or throwing it out of context without the post there, it can no longer be seen, and therefore won't be picked up by any search engines.

Bear in mind that the forum moderators may not be able to delete posts belonging to other forum users who may have quoted your post in their reply.

Having said all that, we do try and accommodate the community as much as possible as long as neither of the above are considerations.

• Advertisement

OK, post deleted, problem solved. You can close this thread now. Thanks for the help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement