Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I find out who is behind a free phone number?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭

How do I find out who is behind a free phone number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Eircom should be able to tell you, they kinda hold the main routing table for all the telco's. Comreg might also be able if its a complaint.

With these you probably need to know someone on the inside to get the information fast, find a large company with a decent Telco contract and they will have a account manager.

Or post the number and maybe the masses could find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Or post the number and maybe the masses could find it.
    Lots of numbers are well known, so this can be sometimes found quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Since a 1800 number has no impact upon your phone bill i.e. like a premium rate number, I think you'd have no real business finding out unless as part of some kind of a Garda inquiry into fraud or something.

Neither Eircom nor Comreg will give you this information.

It's different for premium rate SMS services as the service provider is billing you, so you need to know.

You could just Google the number. Most 1800 numbers are owned by commercial entities so they'll be in advertising somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Solair wrote: »
    You could just Google the number. Most 1800 numbers are owned by commercial entities so they'll be in advertising somewhere!

This. Or you could try dialling the number yourself and see what the message/greeting is. (if you haven't already done so) It's a freephone number, so nothing to lose really by calling and prying a bit.

Advertisement