Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

moving up

• 09-09-2011 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

when do c class fighters move up to b class?? i have seen at a few shows where some c fighters have 7 or even 10 fights and are staying at c.. i think this is wrong for the new guys coming into the sport.. where a guy has is debut is asked 2 fight a guy that is 5/5 god dame joke... i know some guys that had there 1st fight at pro and stay at pro... what do ye think???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

j.ging wrote: »
    when do c class fighters move up to b class?? i have seen at a few shows where some c fighters have 7 or even 10 fights and are staying at c..
    There is no rule stating that a fighter must turn pro. It's entirely up to the fighter if he wants to try pro rules.
    i think this is wrong for the new guys coming into the sport.. where a guy has is debut is asked 2 fight a guy that is 5/5 god dame joke...

There are many factors that can effect this situation. He maybe a debut MMA fighter against a experienced fighter but the debut fighter may have previous experience in other combat sports.

This is when coaching advice comes into play. A promoter may offer a debut fighter to fight a guy with 2-3 or more fights but bare in mind, everyone has to agree to the fight. The debut fighter and/or his coach can simply turn it down. The fighter should only accept a fight if he thinks it's a fair fight and not simply to get a fight.
    i know some guys that had there 1st fight at pro and stay at pro... what do ye think???

I've seen this a few times too but it's usually with people with previous experience in another discipline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Usually if a Debut fighter goes in with a lad with a record there is underlying reasons-like 1 time 1 of my fighters fought a lad and my lad had 3 or 4 fights more thanhis opponent, they both debuted on the same show and there fella had 1 year training on debut while mine had 4 months-so the fight was deemed evens based on training experience

Basically why should someone who is in an active club be disadvantaged fighting lads with same or more training who just happens to be in a club that hold fighters back forever etc

Fighters should turn pro when they have gained enough experience and can handle pro level-if they cant then they should keep learning, Don't take Amateur to serious as its all about learning for when you do decide to go pro

In saying that some promoters just throw matches together even if there not competitive, waste of time for the fighters and forthe fans in my opinion.
    Shazbot wrote: »
    I've seen this a few times too but it's usually with people with previous experience in another discipline.

I done this-silly thing to do and people don't want to fight you amateur once you have done pro evenif your not up to pro level skill set.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

j.ging wrote: »
    when do c class fighters move up to b class?? i have seen at a few shows where some c fighters have 7 or even 10 fights and are staying at c.. i think this is wrong for the new guys coming into the sport.. where a guy has is debut is asked 2 fight a guy that is 5/5 god dame joke... i know some guys that had there 1st fight at pro and stay at pro... what do ye think???

This is why fighters should have a decent coach/manager. Mismatches should be refused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I can see a time where you'll have guys with 20 amateur fights under their belt before taking a pro match because they'll have started at 15/16. No harm in that.

Some guys will also just find their level. They're not in it for the big bucks and have no interest in a pro career. Again, no harm. I'm sure the guys who manage big teams would like a few of those about; guys who have been around who could give their up and comers a good test without the fear of a loss going on their pro record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Also on Paul's point as a promoter, you suggest the match to both teams and you know nothing about either guy. It's up to the management of each fighter to accept or refuse. So if your guy is 0-4 or sonething, he's either not ready for the level you have him at or you're picking bad match ups. Promoters get all the **** bit they can only work with what's in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

As was said on another thread. there's a big difference between fighting pro rules and training like a pro. the biggest part of being a pro is training like one. this is a commitment most people can't give. the new C class rules are great for people like this to fight under a realistic rule set. Its not a bad thing to have guys with a lot of fights at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

The issue is time training.

I personall think league or d class for first year until they get a few wins. This might never happen for some hence should not be in a cage or ring

Then move up and fight c till you get a few wins etc at each class

Now look at Joseph Duffy record. The guy had about 20 amateur fights and it shows in the quality of his fights

Coaches need to be honest plus they also need to ask the appropriate questions

It can be hard to tell how good an opponent is in their first few matches but after about 3 you soon find out

Advertisement