Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jennie Longo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Wasn't she done for doping in the eighties also ? Always a shame when a feel good story / fairytale turns out to be just that.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Multiple world champion and past Olympic gold medallist Jeannie Longo is in danger of missing this year’s world road race championships after a disciplinary action was opened up against her. The 52 year old has received three warnings under the whereabouts system, and faces a ban of up to two years as a result.
    And.......

In the wake of the news that multiple world champion Jeannie Longo is facing disciplinary action over three violations of cycling’s whereabouts system, former US pro Joe Papp has acknowledged that he may be required to give evidence in the case.

Papp, who was banned from racing after failing tests in 2006 and later admitted selling doping products, has been cooperating with the US Anti Doping Agency for several years on the latter. Several US riders who were sanctioned for the purchase and use of doping products are understood to have bought those items from Papp.

He suggested last month on his twitter account that Longo was also a customer, although he was a little more guarded when asked for a comment this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Wasn't she done for doping in the eighties also ?
    The 1880's... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

She's pretty old. She probably just forgot where she was.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Quelle surprise

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Wasn't she done for doping in the eighties also ?

@rbmoore73 Richard Moore
    Interesting that Jeannie Longo is in spot of bother after problem in US. She tested positive there in 86. Banned for 30 days.

27 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone Favorite Retweet Reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Could someone just shoot Joe Papp, he's a boil on the arse of the sport, and he keeps dragging things out for more exposure for himself. The only thing bigger than his downfall is his ego.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I like Papp and I'm glad he came clean in such a comprehensive way. I wish there were more guys like him in the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Junior wrote: »
    Could someone just shoot Joe Papp, he's a boil on the arse of the sport, and he keeps dragging things out for more exposure for himself. The only thing bigger than his downfall is his ego.

There isn't a carpet big enough to sweep all this stuff under anymore. We've had the best and cleanest year of professional cycling in a long time as a direct result of all the scandals exposed, the confessions and the tightening of the noose on the cheaters.

We could go back to the omerta days if you want to see the latest version of the blue train stomp all over the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I like Papp and I'm glad he came clean in such a comprehensive way. I wish there were more guys like him in the sport.

Comprehensive ? Came Clean ? You know the circumstances of why right ? He was caught for selling drugs, he was facing time or turning evidence. You also know he was offering his list of clients if he got X amount of followers on twitter. He also partial revealed Longo was in trouble a while ago via Twitter, putting an investigation at risk.

I don't wish for the omerta to be back, I wish people like him would f*ck off fullstop. He revels in his bad boy image on twitter, he shouts points via DM if you call him on anything and won't debate openly, yet will name drop etc to promote himself.

I'm kind of saddened about this recurring theme you see when it comes to riders who've fessed up. You see elements of it with Kimmage, Millar, Landis and so on, that they only confessed when they caught or they're only doing it to make money. It seems to anger people that they aren't saintly enough for the role.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

But isn't it the case that some riders did only confess to their wrong doing because they were caught?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Virtually all of them did. The point is that they confessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm kind of saddened about this recurring theme you see when it comes to riders who've fessed up. You see elements of it with Kimmage, Millar, Landis and so on, that they only confessed when they caught or they're only doing it to make money. It seems to anger people that they aren't saintly enough for the role.

Thats fair up to a point. But I take issue with the saintly part, I mean most people who have a problem with Millar for example is because of his holier than thou attitude.
    I have no issue with Kimmage, if his story his accurate, then he took drugs in a few crits simply to survive. He feels aggrieved at being genuinely cheated in pro cycling - not that he would have won anything, but by the fact that other domestiques doping made his life as a non doping domestique significantly more difficult.
    My issue with Millar is that I see him as two faced. He is very outspoken on certain alleged dopers (ie Rico, Landis, Rasmussen - the bad boys). Yet he defends Armstrong and Contador with impunity. I see a recurring theme with cycling - there are people who are reviled for doping (eg Vino and others), then there are people who the evidence is suggestive that they are not angels and he has nothing to say. He's a hypocrite.
    Papp - lets call this lad what he is - a dealer. End of. I have much more respect for the guys you mentioned than him. Dealers are scum and always will be. It is black and white in my book.

I find it ridiculous that someone who willingly buys products is somehow less culpapble than someone who sells them. They were all part of the same system.

Virtually all of them did. The point is that they confessed.

But how many of them are actually contrite?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »

It's impossible to tell and in any case if they don't do it again, does it matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

I find it ridiculous that someone who willingly buys products is somehow less culpapble than someone who sells them. They were all part of the same system.

Solicitation & prostitution.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    It's impossible to tell and in any case if they don't do it again, does it matter?

Ah, I know it's not a question that can be answered but I just don't like the idea that it's enough to confess to wrongdoing and that we can all forget about it and move on. A lot of confessed dopers are still very involved in the sport and some of them have not necessarily mended their ways.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Hermy wrote: »

That would be an ecumenical matter......

Feck off!:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Advertisement