Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confusion about Sandyford roundabout-help!

• 09-09-2011 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

I passed my test last year so building up my driving experience. I am confused about the road markings on Sandyford roundabout in Dublin 18. Basically I come from the M50 from the Northbound part and go straight through the first roundabout. At the second roundabout there is a left turn for Sandyford Industrial. So what I did was moved to that lane. There is a yield sign to my right side, however I am technically already on the lane (just before Woodies) so do I still need to yield to cars coming from other exits on the roundabout going to Sandyford? I can't really see well the cars coming from the roundabout apart from my side right mirrors..

Maybe the yield sign is for cars going through the roundabout rather than the lane for Sandyford?

Hope someone can help.. just want to keep safe for myself and others..

Thanks
    Sue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

A picture from google maps would help us give a more accurate answer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think this is the one the OP means.
    I've driven through it myself and it is a bit of a neck twister alright.
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=10598

The first yield sign shown in the picture does not apply to you. The one further along the lane does apply. From what I can see, assuming you are not driving into your own lane, you do need to yield to the traffic exiting the roundabout to your right. Try begining your checks to see if there is anyone coming a little earlier. You would be at a better angle then. Too early and it is inconclusive. Remember you may be getting there with as much speed as the cars exiting the roundabout? So if you are ahead you may be able tostay ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I was just thinking about this when I was driving through today. The second yield sign here is pretty much pointless as each lane (one from roundabout and one from the slip lane) continues on as a lane in itself, i.e. there's no merging of lanes. Also, by the time the kerb/divider finishes the slip road straightens out and there's also a solid white line between the lane from the roundabout and the slip lane that continues for about 10m after the kerb/divider finishes.

However in saying that expect the unexpected!

Based on Jazzy's description of the lanes. As Jazzy says there is no need to yield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Sue T wrote: »
    Hi All,

I passed my test last year so building up my driving experience. I am confused about the road markings on Sandyford roundabout in Dublin 18. Basically I come from the M50 from the Northbound part and go straight through the first roundabout. At the second roundabout there is a left turn for Sandyford Industrial. So what I did was moved to that lane. There is a yield sign to my right side, however I am technically already on the lane (just before Woodies) so do I still need to yield to cars coming from other exits on the roundabout going to Sandyford? I can't really see well the cars coming from the roundabout apart from my side right mirrors..

Maybe the yield sign is for cars going through the roundabout rather than the lane for Sandyford?

Hope someone can help.. just want to keep safe for myself and others..

Thanks
    Sue

Hi,

If you ignore that yield sign, (one on your left), go through and have a crash the first question that the cops will ask you is "Did you not see the Yield sign ?".

My understanding of regulatory road signs is that the council council pass bye-laws to give them legal effect so even if you do not cause a crash you can earn yourself two penalty points.
    Failure to yield right of way at a yield sign/yield line - 2 Penalty
    points on payment

If you believe it is incorrectly placed then you should contact the county council seeking clarification, perhaps have it shifted. Until then I would advise you to obey the sign, not ignore it as you were advised:eek:..

JazzyJ wrote: »
    each lane (one from roundabout and one from the slip lane) continues on as a lane in itself, i.e. there's no merging of lanes. Also, by the time the kerb/divider finishes the slip road straightens out and there's also a solid white line between the lane from the roundabout and the slip lane that continues for about 10m after the kerb/divider finishes.
    As suggested here by someone with local knowledge, the only person you would need to yield to would be driving over a kerb. If this is happening, get the hell out of their way. Normally the case would be that anyone coming off the roundabout would be changing into YOUR lane ( significantly beyond the yield sign ), therefor they would have to yield to you. Or you are changing into there lane ( if you are planning a right turn further up ) and would need to yield to them.
    It would seem, based on the description, that the yield sign is made redundant by priority in your own lane significantly beyond it.

Advertisement