Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charging bike battery with car charger?

• 09-09-2011 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

The battery on my 1000cc Honda Varadero is flat. I don't have a bike battery specific charger but I do have one for 1.6 and below car engines. I assume that I can use it to recharge the bike battery, can't I?

Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A bike battery is much smaller than a car one, and usually needs to be charged at a rate of 10% of its own ampage. So car chargers are usually too strong. Moreso with your battery (YTX14BS) which is gel. This needs to be charged on an electronic charger so it won't overheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Give it a jump start from another vehicle (make sure engine not running in other vehicle)
    Those yokes are very hard to push start.

Dont use a car charger to charge your bike battery.

Dont jump start a bike from another vehicle. You might get away with it or you might fry the electrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I didn't know you knew so much about bikes! No end to your talents :)

Bike wouldn't start this morning and battery was pretty much dead (no kick start on it either). When I got home this afternoon it had changed from damp & cool weather to dry and bright and I was able to coax it into life with whatever residual charge was on it. So then I had to go for a 30something mile spin in the countryside just to make sure everything was fully charged. What a shame!

Work with em all day long :) glad you got sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

This is what happens to a bike battery when you try to charge it with a car battery charger (note the bulge in the side of the battery).

Highly dangerous and a potential acid bomb ready to explode and badly burn you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Get a Multimate, designed for motorbuke batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Forget about the 1.6 litre thing, its just a simplification made up by the industry based on the assumption cars 1.6 litre or less typically use batteries of such and such capacity.

As indicated its all about the capacity of the battery which is measured in Amp/h. Typical values are 20,40 or 60 or even quite a bit more for car batteries. Meaning you can (theoretically) draw from a 20Amp/h battery 20 amps for 1 hour or 1 amp for twenty hours etcpp. Astarter for a big car engine may require several hundred ampere to turn the engine over and start her. Therefore car batteries - especially for bigger cars - are usually quite a bit bigger than motorcycle batteries. My bike has no starter for example and the batterie is a little 20 amp/h just to run the lights when parked.

Anyway, the correct charging current is 10% of the nominal value, supposed to fully recharge the battery over the course of 10 hours. So for a 60 Amp/h battery the ideal charging current would be 6 amps. A good charger also has a regulator which manipulates the current accordingly when the battery is full.

Check the information on your battery and on your charger and see for yourself whether it is a (near enough) fit.
    A decent charger doesn't cost he world on eBay btw.

Advertisement