Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Chinese Boxing Association invite

• 09-09-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭

Dear Coach/ Instructor,

I hope you and your students are well.

The ICBA are a non profit organisation who's primary goal is the promotion and development of the Sport of Chinese Kickboxing, known as Sanshou or Sanda.

We were established in 2008 with a number of Martial Arts schools from around the country keen to help build Sanshou on a National level, and then onto International level by developing a top quality team of fighters who we would have confidence in representing Ireland at a high standard across European and Worldwide competitions.

In 2009 we ran three very successful events with the East Coast Open in March of that year held in Dublin, followed by the West Coast in Mayo in August of that year. The National Championships were held in October and we were confident of the standard of fighters who were crowned Champions at the event.

In 2010 as with allot of new organisations there were many teething problems which prevented us continuing with the momentum built in our first year, but in 2011 we were back with the East Coast open which saw us run junior qingda, Senior light contact Qingda and a Senior Full contact divisions.

We know there is a huge interest in the sport of Sanshou as evidence by the attendance at our past events and we invite you and your students to join us in the ICBA to help bring the sport a high level in this country.

We have two events coming up over the next couple of months.

Firstly we would like to invite you and your club coaches to a 'FREE' Sanshou open day to be held on:

Sunday 18th of September
    11am - 3pm (we will break for lunch at 1pm)
    The Martial Arts Academy, Deansgrange Business Park,
    Deansgrange, Co. Dublin

The goal of this open day is to introduce the sport of Sanshou, it's rules and divisions and to also train officials for future events. This will be a Sanshou workshop hosted by the President of the ICBA Master Wally Dillon and our Chief Referee Christy Dennison. Niall Keane will also be in attendence to field questions based on his massive competitive experience in the sport Internationally.

To book your place and those of your coaches at this workshop simply email me at pm at ymaa.ie and we'll be happy to meet you on the 18th of September.

Secondly our Autumn Sanshou Open takes place on the 15th of October

This event is open to Male and Female competitors.

We will have a junior Qingda division starting at 10 am. This is a light contact format of Sanshou. Ages 8 - 12yrs.
    We will have a Teens Qingda division run on a separate mat for 13 - 17yrs also starting at 10 am.

Our Senior division will start at 12.30 (weigh ins will take place earlier that morning) and we will have a Light Contact Qingda division and a Full Contact Sanshou division.

The Weights divisions for 18+ are, - 50kgs, - 55kg, - 60kg, - 65kg, - 70kg, - 75kg, -80kg, -85kg, - 90kg and + 90kgs

Sanshou is a very exciting sport to be involved in and it adds another dimension to your schools training.

We at the Irish Chinese Boxing Association hope to hear from you soon, and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about what we do or our upcoming events.

Your in Martial Arts,

Paul Moran

ICBA, Treasurer

ps. Please see the attachments for more information about our open.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Will hopefully be at the open in October to spectate if not enter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭paul moran

I should add,

The ICBA events are open to all styles and schools. Although Sanshou is a national sport of China it isn't restricted to Kung Fu stylists, all can find there niche within the sport, whether Thai Fighters, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxers, MMA, Boxers etc, we've had all at our previous competitions.

Simply learn the rules and join us. The Free worhshops are the best place to find out more.

Take care

Here a great youtube clips of a world championships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8nCgNTByiE

Here is a clip of one of the ICBA past events (actually this was the 1st ever Sanshou event in Ireland).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC5JA8IGiKY

ps. The website address at the end of the clips is now defunct, contact me if you have any questions. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

paul moran wrote: »
    Here a great youtube clips of a world championships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8nCgNTByiE

Here is a clip of one of the ICBA past events (actually this was the 1st ever Sanshou event in Ireland).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC5JA8IGiKY

ps. The website address at the end of the clips is now defunct, contact me if you have any questions. Cheers

The web address is NOT DEFUNCT, it's used by another association that runs KUOSHU,SHUAI JIAI and SANSHOU competitions...

True Tony,

Sorry what I meant was that the website is not in use by the ICBA anymore.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

True, currently there are 3 internationally recognised bodies in Ireland running / sanctioning Sanshou Kaoshu and Sanda competitions. There's ICBA (linked with PWKA, an so fights recognised by IMAF, there's IKF and we have had pro-Sanda comps recognised by IMAF.

I know that the people involved with these events are sincere and it's great to see this in Ireland, I always had to travel abroad in my day.

The real shame is the IWUF situation. IMAC the only Irish sports council recognised organisation, hold IWUF membership, and despite Sanshou being the "quintessence of Kung Fu" according to IWUF, IMAC have never held a single Sanshou event!!! They blocked me from entering the IWUF worlds amateur in 2005, although I was ranked 4th in pro- Sanda at the time by IMAF and PWKA. Basically they refused to even reply to me!! Since that time I personally tried to get ICBA under their umbrella but we were told that we were too much like "MMA" and IMAC don't allow MMA.

I am unaware of any of the IMAC kung fu governing body who have ever competed in Sanshou! Strange that an organisation funded by the sports council, and "sport" being competitive by nature that this body is populated by non-competitors some of whom overtly don't "compete" as policy yet continuously block and prevent Irish bodies and athletes from taking their rightful position at international events.

The farce climaxed when a hoax Irish team with less than a handful of fights between them whose coach was imAC brought a team to Beijing, some may recall the YouTube "killer kick to te head", I feel sorry for those who competed, they faced people I had fought in pro sanda, and I know those fighters had +_ 100 fights.

But hey ImAC clearly know what they are doing!!! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

and IMAC don't allow MMA.

That's mental. Maybe if you tell that its a weekend retreat for martial arts empathy channeling they'll sanction it

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

True, currently there are 3 internationally recognised bodies in Ireland running / sanctioning Sanshou Kaoshu and Sanda competitions. There's ICBA (linked with PWKA, an so fights recognised by IMAF, there's IKF and we have had pro-Sanda comps recognised by IMAF.

I know that the people involved with these events are sincere and it's great to see this in Ireland, I always had to travel abroad in my day.

The real shame is the IWUF situation. IMAC the only Irish sports council recognised organisation, hold IWUF membership, and despite Sanshou being the "quintessence of Kung Fu" according to IWUF, IMAC have never held a single Sanshou event!!! They blocked me from entering the IWUF worlds amateur in 2005, although I was ranked 4th in pro- Sanda at the time by IMAF and PWKA. Basically they refused to even reply to me!! Since that time I personally tried to get ICBA under their umbrella but we were told that we were too much like "MMA" and IMAC don't allow MMA.

I am unaware of any of the IMAC kung fu governing body who have ever competed in Sanshou! Strange that an organisation funded by the sports council, and "sport" being competitive by nature that this body is populated by non-competitors some of whom overtly don't "compete" as policy yet continuously block and prevent Irish bodies and athletes from taking their rightful position at international events.

The farce climaxed when a hoax Irish team with less than a handful of fights between them whose coach was imAC brought a team to Beijing, some may recall the YouTube "killer kick to te head", I feel sorry for those who competed, they faced people I had fought in pro sanda, and I know those fighters had +_ 100 fights.

But hey ImAC clearly know what they are doing!!! :-(

Yes and No

The world body for sanshou/sanda is the I.W.F (International Wushu Federation).The world body for Kuoshu is the I.C.K.F (International Chinese Kuoshu Federation).

THESE ARE THE ONLY WORLD BODYS...

Other groups may come along but they are NOT world bodys...

At the moment there is no one recongised by the I.W.F in Ireland and im sorry to say that this is not going to change anytime soon, because of this no Irish team can take part in any world or european championships run by the I.W.F...

The I.C.K.A (Irish Chinese Kuoshu Association) is recongised by the I.C.K.F as the Irish body for Kuoshu in Ireland and is the ONLY Irish body that can send Irish teams to european and world championships.

There is a big difference between internationally recongised and INTERNATIONALLY RECONGISED.

SO REALLY THERE IS ONLY ONE INTERNATIONALLY RECONGISED BODY IN IRELAND...

Well it's not so black and White, the IWF changed their name to IWUF I think in 2002, they were originally a Chinese peoples republic organisation with Beijing University holding much power. Most national bodies in other countries tried to link with them, eg BCCMA in uk.
    ICKF, I believe were once the IKF (international Kaoshu Frderation)?
    They were Tiawan originated, and Kaoshu rules vary slightly from IWUF Sanshou.
    Around the 2000's Sanshou started to become popula and the first professional fight nights started taking place, "king of Sanda" in USA, Sanshou UK, and "Battle of the South" in Holland which was a refular fightcard run by Hoyer Institute. Hoyer's son and the likes of Cung Le started rising at this time, and another IKF (international kickboxing association) USA in origin started the first world rankings!
    China started getting in on the act with "king of Sanda" and many China v Thailand bouts.
    The IWUF then started focusing on wushu forms, and there was an internal split Beijing wushu and Xian sanda, this culminated in the IWUF suing "King of sanda" as it used IWUF registered fighters in their shows, for example the great Liu Hai Long. So pro-Sanda was effectively killed off for a few years in China!
    Over here the same **** started with te BCCMA for example banning fighters who took part in pro events like Sanshou UK from entering their comps and therefore being part of the British team. The fighters at the time voted with their feet an refused to accept this politics. The BCCMA and other iWUF bodies ten tried to hold events at the same time as pro events, pretty stupid really!
    That environment brought about bodies formed by ex competitors such as te PWKA - professional wushu Kung Fu association etc. That ran IWUF rules and held open competitions. They were very successful with 15 European countries in a league, they got bi enough that the iWUF officially recognised their fights. Many IWUF officials even joined the PWKA.
    For world recognition the IMAF stepped in, though not Chinese, they were tolerant and got more members because of it, in 2005 there were 83 countries at the IWUF worlds and 87 at the IMAF worlds.
    So basically IWUF shot them selves in the foot! Unfortunately not before they had gained recognition with IOC and most national sports bodies.
    As such I don't think ICKF nor IMAF are IOC recognised, only IWUF are. But for example through bodies like PWKA a fighter can clock up IWUF recognised fights, for his record. This still doesn't solve the IWUF Europeans an worlds, as long as national bodies populated by politicians such as IMAC reign, maybe the recession might do some good and force some awkward questions about funding that might see the passing of the old guard?
    Until then I stand by what I said earlier I think ICBA ICKF and IMAF are sincere and the way to go for Sanshou or Kaoshu.
    IWUF is largely irrelevant in china now with Wudang and Shaolin taking control of Chinese wushu with open attitudes and competitions and a heritage behind them.

To add...
    Personally I believe the IWUF signed their death warrant in 2007-2008, Sanshou had been set to be an Olympic sport, the 2008 Sanshou games 1 month before the olympics was a concession, and unheard of before for a sport event to be allowed in the Olympic city before the actual games. IWUF had started to seriously split the year before, mostly re forms v Sanshou. Also by that time the biggest comps were not IWUF who held them a European etc and world once every other year.
    That competition was restricted, and in Irelands case a team with no real experience was put forward by IMAC, to put it in context one of my own students was #3 in Europe in PWKA league an didn't get any notice or chance to be part of the "Irish" team which was made up of students from a single school linked to ImAC governing body.
    This same closed shop bull happened across the globe and basically in real unofficial history the IOC dismissed the IWUF not allowing Sanshou to be part of the Chinese games.
    In China thi resulted in serious measures being taken by te state against those who had let this happen, and the state withdrew it's favour from IWUF.
    It was a serious blow to Sanshou.
    That's why now Wudang and Shaolin have been able to effectively become the leading organisations of wushu in China.

None the less Sanshou has survived, saved from outside by Russia and Switzerland particularly.

So in reality there is now no single world body with any real clout!

But I think in the end of the day this sad run of events was needed, and has given birth to more organisations focusing on the promotion of the sport rather than setting up all powerful Dragon Heads in each country.

Why did it happen this way? Well shortly after Sanshou inception in the 70's and 80's - as in it's formation by the peoples republic as a competitive format, (Cheng Tin Hung - Dan Docherty's Sifu was an advisor at the time) - cartoon Kung Fu "masters" have tried to run the IWUF for their, and their own organisations benefit. Such people if one were to examine them often have no fight experience, Ireland can be used as a perfect example! It's not too surprising, in China comrades were not allowed to fight each other, this even extended to a ban on western boxing! And the old "dancing" masters didn't like the threat Sanshou carried, that of exposing the irrelevance of their schools by testing combat efficiency!

But like I said, the IWUF and the likes of iMAC have tried to hold back the tide, but these days we now have real Kung Fu fighters running their own schools, the guard is changing at last.

I think the ICBA and ICKF are fantastic progress for Ireland, and a breath of life for Kung Fu! I also think it is good to have both Sanshou and Kaoshu organisations here at once, as a healthy competitive alternative will help police against corruption taking hold as it did in IWUF.

So back on topic...

I would recommend clubs attend the workshop and get involved, as Sanshou is a great format, exciting to compete in and spectate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

it looks like a decent a sport from the clips Ive watched on youtube.Is there any footage of full contact fights without the padding?

as for the politics,**** that:)its as bad as the muay thai/imc crap!!

The padding was brought in by IWUF in a bid for Olympic inclusion. Stragely they introduced the chest protector but banned shin pads???

The rules are mixed in amateur, some have pads, some not, some allow elbows and knees some not, some allow 15 seconds ground wrestling....

But basically there's 1 point for strikes, no striking to back of head and spine or deliberate joint breaking attacks, all areas of hand can be used including palms forearms etc. Even where elbows are out. 1 point for landing on top of opponent after a throw and 2 points for a clean throw. Clinch is restricted to 3-5 seconds before a throw must be attempted. Best of 3 rounds wins, rounds 2-3 minutes, a round can be won by kicking punching or throwing opponent off lei tai 3 times in a single round. Fight can also be won with three 8 counts over the bout or by ko.

As for pro Sanda, there's no pads and elbows and knees are all allowed, also a boxing ring can be used and you can throw the opponent out of ring. 5 x 3 minute rounds. check YouTube under sanda.

Hey,

Just a reminder of the FREE Sanshou workshop open to all coaches and fighters interested in getting involved in the sport.

This Sunday 18th of September
    11am - 3pm (we will break for a short lunch at 1pm)
    The Martial Arts Academy, Deansgrange Business Park,
    Deansgrange, Co. Dublin

Drop me a mail pm at ymaa.ie to let me know if you want to join us.

Thanks

Advertisement