Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a wheelchair for Cork Woman Mini Marathon

Options
  • 09-09-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I am planning to cross-dress to partipate in the Cork Woman Mini-Marathon and would need a wheelchair ideally to push my girlfriend who can't really run because of her knees (so for fun as she can walk normally perfectly fine), anybody would know where I can borrow/rent one for the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The main wheelchair/equipment distribution centre for hospitals in Cork is in St. Finbarrs just out the Douglas Rd. If you call the main number there and ask for the wheelchair equipment people they should put you through. They were very good to me a few years ago when I was looking for some wheelchairs to run some awareness events in UCC. I'd say they should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

HATE to tell you but Im told that NO wheel chairs are allowed this year .We were going to push a sick friend as part of our charity and we were told this ,BUGGYS with kids are also NOT allowed !!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

It is less than four miles on a flat road. If your girlfriend is not fit enough for a slow jog, she can walk it as many women do. Rather than getting a wheelchair maybe she could train by occasionally walking to the local shop over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

regress wrote: »
    It is less than four miles on a flat road. If your girlfriend is not fit enough for a slow jog, she can walk it as many women do. Rather than getting a wheelchair maybe she could train by occasionally walking to the local shop over the next few weeks.

And deaf people should just listen to a few words every day to get going.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That's not very fair banning wheelchairs from it.

• Advertisement

Buceph wrote: »
    And deaf people should just listen to a few words every day to get going.

:rolleyes:

OP was clear that his girlfriend is not psychically handicapped and "can walk perfectly fine" It is therefore reasonable to assume that it is lack of fitness that makes her need a wheelchair to cover this distance. If this is the case then if she were to train for the event by taking short walks such as to the local shop then she migh be capable of pushing herself and slowly walking the four miles on the day. If this is beyond her physical capacity then she should perhaps not participate rather than be allowed to cover this distance with a male and a wheelchair for support.

seanybiker wrote: »
    That's not very fair banning wheelchairs from it.

It may not be PC but I agree with the decision. In regular 26 mile marathons there are wheelchairs but these are competitive athletes. Should all competive swims have to accomafate those that can't swim. Should cycle races have to accommodate those that can't cycle on a bicycle. Why then should a wimmins " marathon" have to accommodate women who are unable to walk or run. I have no issue with restricting participation to women who are physically fit enough to walk less than four miles on a flat road.

No disrespect is intended towards any woman who is physically unable to complete any particular sporting challenge but there should be no requirement to change any event to facilate those unable to physically participate. Political correctness has gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Actually her knees are weak due to an injury a few years ago but we decided to walk it instead anyway. My idea was mainly to allow myself to still jog whilst staying alongside with her, walk will do just fine for such a distance whilst still having fun ;)

Perhaps not best to generalise without knowing your personal circumstances but people have different levels of fitness. some can jog four miles but many women are only able to walk. And it is the WOMEN'S mini marathon. cross dressing to pretend that you are a woman in order to walk it with your girlfriend seems a bit strange.If you wanted to go on a walk as a couple perhaps a mixed walk might be more appropriate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement