Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Poo - BIG Time

• 09-09-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

This is a strange one...
    My mam's dog is a really great little chap (adult JRT), and completely toilet trained. But two mornings ago she came into the living room to discover that he had poo-ed - not just one, but seven times, during the night! We're mystified as to what this was about - he was let out last thing at night as always, and emerged from the living room the next morning 'beaming' (as mam put it!)...I suppose he had forgotten he had done the shameful seven deeds by then...:confused:
    Can anyone explain this strange behaviour please?
    He was fine the following night btw.

Just to add - the offending poos were quite normal looking, not runny or anything...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Did you change his diet at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Maybe he really just couldn't hold it in..
    It's not like he can let himself out to go to the toilet.

He may have also eaten something that day that caused him to need to go to the toilet quite a bit?

Hopefully it was a once off thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

He may not have been able to go the night before or even for a day or two before. He might have felt uncomfortable, but when he had pooed it out and feeling better, of course he would be beaming. Keep an eye on him and make sure he actually goes when hes let out. He should be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Yes, hopefully!
    Regarding the food, he's been on Burns for a while now, which has always seemed to suit him. I guess I thought that the poos would have been runny or similar if the food was the issue. Unless he ate part of a rabbit or something earlier that day.
    I don't suppose that she checked that he actually did a poo before he went to bed, but seven is just such an amount anyway. Apparently it looked like a horse poo by the time that she got it all on a shovel!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Barring a really traumatic bowel-loosening event, a sudden toileting incident like this in an otherwise housetrained dog almost always has a medical cause. It may be an upset tummy, but it could also be a large variety of other aches, pains or illnesses which are making him feel a bit off form. He may seem ok on the surface, but dogs tend to be remarkably stoical about pain.
    So, if this happens again, a visit to the vet for a thorough check-up (not just a casual prod) is called for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It mightn't have been 7 "individual" times if ya know what i mean :D Some dogs circle and then squat in one position and stay there. Others...eh....travel especially if they're nervous and know they should be outside! The fact he couldnt hold it in while inside might've made him nervous, did a bit, walked a bit etc. and the 7 "discoveries" was a result :p

If its not loose/mucousy looking then i wouldnt worry about it..unless its a continuous occurrence!

Advertisement