Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Significant (Rep of) Irish band since U2?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

GIAA. I know they've been mentioned already but their first 6 albums are my most listened to albums. Never have a band actually influenced my life like they have and a sound sound bunch of guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Stephen Gately was the only one of them who could sing well??????????????????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Stephen Gately was the worst singer of all time......
    That nasal off key twang of his was awfully upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

- Fox Avenue

I guess I meant bands that have actually had an impact outside the Republic

Fox Avenue are only popular in Ireland as far as I know. They haven't even headlined the Olympia yet so they're far from breaking other places like the UK and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hartys8

RUBYHORSE - The band never got the credit in Ireland. Were very successful in the states though. Some epic songs like Sparkle / Warning bells. A shame they broke up. Also had George Harrison from the Beatles on their debut album. Just a good band with very catchy tunes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

A House were a great band IMO. Three cracking albums anyway (was not so keen on the fourth one myself) and I'd also rate Jerry Fish and the Mudbug Club. They may not be the best band ever, but anytime they loop around on my ipod I always get asked "who is this?" and other positive noises..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Gavin Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Mesner..

fantastic band. From Laois I think.. did really well during the 90's but it just didnt happen for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ritchie Egan AKA Jape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Again, outside of the Republic, who has even heard of some of these acts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

F*ckbuttons, amazing lads.

I must say that the Script are worse than U2, the Script are an abomination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

primordial they have won metal hammer awards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

There's also Nouveaunoise, which shows us that all Irish music need not be singer/songwriter acoustic ring. Ireland has a lot of talent, but Irish music circles don't seem to get away from Damian Rice style pissmusic.

Here's one of the best tunes of the year that you won't hear Ray Foley playing.

http://soundcloud.com/nouveaunoise/believe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Since when were U2 significant? God Is An Astronaut or Warpath in my opinion, in terms of quality of music anyway. Primordial also worth a rather honourable mention. I do enjoy a bit of Republic Of Loose, Bell X1 or Imelda May if I'm honest. I like Thérèse Fahy too, she's a great pianist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

muirsheen wrote: »
    Cry before Dawn brilliant Wexford band

+1 I loved them. They had some brilliant songs. They never had much success outside of Ireland which always surprised me. Probably not managed very well!

From their reunion tour in Vicar St this year:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

aslan and whipping boy

Nailz wrote: »
    Since when were U2 significant? God Is An Astronaut or Warpath in my opinion, in terms of quality of music anyway. Primordial also worth a rather honourable mention. I do enjoy a bit of Republic Of Loose, Bell X1 or Imelda May if I'm honest. I like Thérèse Fahy too, she's a great pianist.

I think people may be misunderstanding this thread. Significant means global (or at least outside ROI) impact and/or global artistic credibility.

I can't think of many Irish acts since U2 that has achieved both. The vast majority of suggestions so far are boy bands or no-name bands that the poster happens to like. Or the odd 'shoulda been big' bands, like Aslan, Whipping Boy.

I guess my objective in this thread was to tally how Ireland has fared globally since U2.

Not so well it seems. Why is this, I wonder? Is the music scene in Ireland so bad? Or is nobody big looking for Irish acts to sign/promote?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Or is nobody big looking for Irish acts to sign/promote?
    It should be irrelevant where a band is from. As long as they're good, they should be listened to.

FWIW, the biggest (not necessarily the "best" and definitely not my favourite) Irish groups since U2 have been the Script and Westlife.

It should be irrelevant where a band is from. As long as they're good, they should be listened to.

FWIW, the biggest (not necessarily the "best" and definitely not my favourite) Irish groups since U2 have been the Script and Westlife.

Yeah, I guess what I mean is whether the mechanisms actually exist in Ireland for an Irish band to get signed to a big label and be adequately promoted. I'd imagine that 'mechanism' in the UK and US is more advanced than here in Ireland? Does more support exist for bands in these places?

As far as I can tell, the only support that exists here is for the Jedwards, Westlifes of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Out of all the bands mentioned I'd go for Dream Theater. Jimmy O'Brie is a wonderful sean nós singer and the accordian player, John Óg Pethaughnessy, is ahead of his time. And dont get me started on Mícháel the bodhrán player.

I thought they were a US metal band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

check out a band called "god is an astronaut"

I thought they were a US metal band?

In a parallel universe maybe Duke. You dont write an album like 2002's masterpiece; "The Uillean Pipe Obsession" without being true Irish warrior descendents.

**Vai** wrote: »
    In a parallel universe maybe Duke. You dont write an album like 2002's masterpiece; "The Uillean Pipe Obsession" without being true Irish warrior descendents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater

Sorry, kid.

Well I never. My life is altered from here on ;)

My point, albeit in an overly sarcastic way is, Irish bands are generally below par. All the bands mentioned and indeed even the 'mighty' U2 arent good enough to tie the shoelaces of bands like DT. Best we can do is Thin Lizzy (who were mainly Brits) and Rory Gallagher (who was awesome).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Aslan or The Cranberries

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Stretching the notion of an Irish band - and 'post-U2', a tad, but:

Microdisney
    Fatima Mansions
    Cathal Coughlan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'd have to knock Whipping Boy off the list, for no other reason than the singer who seems to use every interview to have a cut off U2. Whatever you think of U2, his sniping just comes across as bitter and petty. There's a reason Whipping Boy never made it, and it starts with the band themselves and their attitude...
    Heartworm is still a pretty solid album though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Music in Ireland seems to be like football.. we generally have more success from our second generation stars.

Oasis - Noel Gallagher, Liam Gallagher, Paul McGuigan, Tony McCarroll
    The Smiths - Steven Morrissey, Johnny Maher, Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce
    Kasabian - Tom Meighan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Enya's sold a shedload of albums around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Would throw in another mention for Primordial there - obviously if you are not into metal you won't give a s**t but these guys have been plugging away for 20 odd years and have received much popular and critical acclaim worldwide. They released probably the most acclaimed European metal album of 2007/2008.

Also My Bloody Valentine get name checked an awful lot by other bands, e.g. Smashing Pumpkins. They definitely were of significance.

Advertisement