Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Significant (Rep of) Irish band since U2?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

interesting with both those acts, I've seen primordial billboards in bustling european cities down the yrs, but you'd not think they even existed at home where we promote/protect squeaky bum image. they'd still be playing the fox & pheasant here I bet, or the corner of some other pub

Also kevin shields respected by respectable musicians too, and was the brains behind primal scream's only real worthwhile period imo. they must have just let him run riot cos faux dixie soul it ain't

-depends on significance meaning, as is almost always the case those most in the public domain are the most persona non grata, particularly in the 21st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

In terms of success, the script seem to be the ones who'll do it. The corrs had a huge following, but just seemed to fizzle out.

Something happens, the four of us, an emotional fish & Aslan were all "world famous in Ireland" If you get what I mean. Would have loved for th to be bigger, but I'd say their issue wasn't that they went good enough, it's most probably that their management wasn't as ballsy as Paul McGuinness.

There's an Irish band called friends of emmet www.friendsofemmet.com starting to make waves in the USA & Canada. Like to see them make it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

iMax wrote: »
    In terms of success, the script seem to be the ones who'll do it. The corrs had a huge following, but just seemed to fizzle out.

Something happens, the four of us, an emotional fish & Aslan were all "world famous in Ireland" If you get what I mean. Would have loved for th to be bigger, but I'd say their issue wasn't that they went good enough, it's most probably that their management wasn't as ballsy as Paul McGuinness.

There's an Irish band called friends of emmet www.friendsofemmet.com starting to make waves in the USA & Canada. Like to see them make it too.

Boyzone, westlife and jedward are fairly popular internationally too. It's a pity some of the better Irish bands don't have the international recognition that they deserve. In my opinion bands like the coronas and Bell X1 are quality and to an extent the blizzards, fox avenue and republic of loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

jpm4 wrote: »
    Also My Bloody Valentine get name checked an awful lot by other bands, e.g. Smashing Pumpkins. They definitely were of significance.
    Not to mention the hundreds of bands they inspired all around the world. Yes very significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

My Bloody Valentine are looking like champions of this discussion.

• Advertisement

To me they're more significant than U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

But less significant than those plastic bits on the end of your shoelaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Having just listened to most of Miracle Bell's debut album, I can say that I really like this group and I hope they can become the kind of band that accumulates this kind of success. But as for now their support is very small!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Therapy had a lot of success outside Ireland in the 90's.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Very untrue :)
    Therapy had a lot of success outside Ireland in the 90's.
    They're from the North not the Republic though, read thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

I have been thinking about this one lately, and I have to say I am struggling to think of one. We (the Irish Republic) haven't exactly been producing acts this past twenty years, have we? Off the top of my head, noteworthy (populist or otherwise) acts include:

- Whipping Boy
    - Frank & Walters
    - Sultans of Ping
    - Cranberries
    - The Thrills
    - Boyzone
    - Westlife
    - The Frames
    - Sinead o Connor
    - The Script
    - Damien Rice
    - Bell X1

Are there more? Note that bands from Northern Ireland are banned from this, let's just stick to the Republic.

Either way, it's a fairly paltry list.

Your list is a joke. It seems to me that if a band isn't played by Larry Gogan then it doesn't exist to you. Open your ears, the music scene in Ireland is in great shape but if you don't go to gigs or seek out music then of course you are going to be left with a **** list like yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

paulosham wrote: »
    Your list is a joke. It seems to me that if a band isn't played by Larry Gogan then it doesn't exist to you. Open your ears, the music scene in Ireland is in great shape but if you don't go to gigs or seek out music then of course you are going to be left with a **** list like yours.

Keyboard%2BWarrior.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Saw Doctors for me but I'm biased.

Hard to find another Irish band that tours America twice a year though...

mars bar wrote: »

The Script do it every couple of months. I also know an unsigned band who've been there & Canada three times in the last six months.

iMax wrote: »
    The Script do it every couple of months. I also know an unsigned band who've been there & Canada three times in the last six months.

For almost 20 years straight?

That's not what you said though. You said:

The Script have been doing it for about four years now. They're going well, They could end up doing it for 20, we'll check back then.

They have a huge following & play sell out 5,000+ seaters when touring the US. I think the most they played to in Europe was Aviva, which is what... 50,000 ? That was following on from three or four nights of 15,000 in the O2 a couple of months beforehand & in the UK, ten nights in 10,000 seaters around the country, Europe they do about 5,000 a night, Australia about 3,000, Asia about 10,000.

They've sold in the region of 3.5 million albums & 4 million singles. They're possibly the most relevant Irish band right now & for the next three-four years (See how their third album performs).

The other band, who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm pretty sure Waterford's 'O Emperor' will gain worldwide success. Their album Hither Thither has some of the finest crafted songs you're likely to hear by any young Irish or international band.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Significant =/= your favourite.

Think a lot of people aren't recognising that. In terms of significance, I think My Bloody Valentine probably influenced more significant groups than anyone. Nine Inch Nails and The Cure have both cited MBV as being a huge influence. They were instrumental in the rise of shoegaze genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Saw Doctors for me but I'm biased.

I'm with you on this one.

Personally speaking,I think they are the best Irish band since Lizzy,just my opinion mind.

I've been following the band for nearly twenty years now and I've seen them close to 90 times.
    I know for some they are a "marmite" band,but as a live act,the are unbeatable,for me second only to E Street Band,who are the best live band in the world.
    If you get a chance to see them,go,trust me,you'll enjoy it....:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think people may be misunderstanding this thread. Significant means global (or at least outside ROI) impact and/or global artistic credibility.

I can't think of many Irish acts since U2 that has achieved both.

Is this not just a reflection of how the music industry has changed? The music industry isn't really interested in artistic integrity anymore and those artists who genuinely have something creative to express are getting their message across by means other than the major labels.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

F*ckbuttons, amazing lads.

British.
    flyswatter wrote: »
    My Bloody Valentine.

Correct answer and yet the thread keeps going.
    **Vai** wrote: »

Ah come on man, when those bits go your laces go to pieces and you look like a twat. Unfair comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Buddly

Ham Sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mchlllsn

Has no one mentioned The Walls yet?

Saw them in Belfast last night and they were on top form. A criminally underrated Irish band.

A new dawn breaking is a classic Irish album imvho.

Buddly wrote: »
    Ham Sandwich
    A good enough band but in no way the most significant Irish band since U2. They haven't exactly had the same level of international impact as MBV and God Is an Astronaut.

Dub Ste wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one.

Personally speaking,I think they are the best Irish band since Lizzy,just my opinion mind.

I've been following the band for nearly twenty years now and I've seen them close to 90 times.
    I know for some they are a "marmite" band,but as a live act,the are unbeatable,for me second only to E Street Band,who are the best live band in the world.
    If you get a chance to see them,go,trust me,you'll enjoy it....:D

I've seen them about 25 times...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

My Bloody Valentine although they're only partly Irish. Still, U2 never have a hope of creating anything near as great as Loveless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

ASH, also a much better band than U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

karaokeman wrote: »
    You forgot....

The Corona's
    The Corrs
    Republic of Loose
    The Blizzards
    Imelda May

Yeah but I know what you mean there's not many at the moment. But if you want to know whose the best Irish band since U2 I would say The Script.

n129753_I_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_RE_i_lost_my_faith_today_in_people-s360x202-224167.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as someone mentioned earlier, our recent band-producing record pales next to our Scottish cousins:

Primal Scream
    Jesus and Mary Chain
    Teenage Fanclub
    Belle & Sebastian
    The Beta Band
    Franz Ferdinand
    Travis
    Mogwai
    Boards of Canada

all internationally known, influential and successful (well, maybe not so much for the Beta Band).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Take out Westlife out of that op as they had no artistic input into the songs :rolleyes: (covers more like) they sang. and then when that's done put Lisa Hannigan into the place they once occupied.

Advertisement