Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Significant (Rep of) Irish band since U2?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Funkfield wrote: »
    Adebisi Shank

Best Irish band ever.

/thread

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

loyatemu wrote: »
    as someone mentioned earlier, our recent band-producing record pales next to our Scottish cousins:

Primal Scream
    Jesus and Mary Chain
    Teenage Fanclub
    Belle & Sebastian
    The Beta Band
    Franz Ferdinand
    Travis
    Mogwai
    Boards of Canada

all internationally known, influential and successful (well, maybe not so much for the Beta Band).

Problem is, Scottish, Welsh, English acts have a direct link into the UK market which is alot bigger than ours. Irish Record Labels for the most part dont have the funds or the clout to push their acts abroad, some not even to do it significantly in Ireland so unless they have a sister company in UK/US, they are very limited in what they can do. My opinion anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Fandango wrote: »
    Problem is, Scottish, Welsh, English acts have a direct link into the UK market which is alot bigger than ours. Irish Record Labels for the most part dont have the funds or the clout to push their acts abroad, some not even to do it significantly in Ireland so unless they have a sister company in UK/US, they are very limited in what they can do. My opinion anyway. :)

Trouble is, almost nothing Ireland has produced can even be mentioned in the same sentence as BoC or Mogwai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I see somebody mentioned Enya, one of the worlds best selling woman singers of all time,
    and dont forget about Roisin Murphy, formerly of Moloko, I have heard her stuff on national radios of three different countrys not including Ireland, Uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

loyatemu wrote: »
    as someone mentioned earlier, our recent band-producing record pales next to our Scottish cousins:
    Or Welsh:

High contrast
    Dj Sasha
    Goldie lookin' chain
    Bullet for my valentine
    Lostprophets
    Super furry animals
    Funeral for a friend
    Automatic
    Stereophonics
    Feeder
    Manic Street preachers
    Catatonia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Not a band but ye have solo artists in there so how about Damien Dempsey, Mundy or Declan O'Rourke.

How about Kila - great band and amazing live.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

If people engaged with the title of this thread rather than just listing bands like The Corona's it'd show some depth rather than sticking to bands that still do the college circuit.

I'd have to say as far as influence on domestic and foreign acts and as an export

The Frames
    Kerbdog
    Whipping Boy
    The Script

There are plenty of individuals aswell such as Sinead O Connor, Damien Rice, Gary Moore (who had a career until his death; admittedly not one of world renowned prestige but influential nonetheless).

Without commenting on the substance of their music, their fame and influence is undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Influence? Significant rep? Has to be MBV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Nolanger wrote: »
    Or Welsh:

High contrast
    Dj Sasha
    Goldie lookin' chain
    Bullet for my valentine
    Lostprophets
    Super furry animals
    Funeral for a friend
    Automatic
    Stereophonics
    Feeder
    Manic Street preachers
    Catatonia

you left out Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - incredibly underrated band
    (you also left in the Automatic ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Mick Flannery deserves an honourable mention. Not influenced many, but should be regarded for his craft.

• Advertisement

Influence? Significant rep? Has to be MBV.

I'll second this; I'm sickened I left them out of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'll second this; I'm sickened I left them out of my list.

I won't ban you this time, but be careful in future :pac:

Apologies and Thanks!haha

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

A House deserve better acclaim.
    Microdisney were a class act.
    Woodstar coulda been contenders but seemed to diisappear off the face of the earth.
    Can The Pogues be claimed as Irish?? Maybe not.
    O Emperor are ones for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Lisa Hannigan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Blink should have gone on to huge things, but it all kinda went to **** with the 3rd album. I think they made inroads in the states thought?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Blink had a second album ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

iMax wrote: »
    Blink had a second album ??

Yep, do i detect a note of sarcasm there?;)
    They were A Map Of the Universe (1994), The End Is High (1998) and Deep Inside The Sound Of Sadness (2004)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Garzorico

the Picture House

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Yep, do i detect a note of sarcasm there?;)
    They were A Map Of the Universe (1994), The End Is High (1998) and Deep Inside The Sound Of Sadness (2004)

Just a smidgen..

four years between one & two & six years between two & three is probably what killed them (or else the title of the third did it).

They left it way too long. The first album was great (I actually turned it on (iTunes) after their name popped up here earlier & thoroughly enjoyed it. They should have capitalised on their strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Modern bands aren't going to have the same profile as 80's ones because there's so much more music out there and it isn't pushed as aggressively by music labels which were rolling in cash back in those days.

I think Irish music is much healthier this year than it's been in a while. We're punching above our weight in most genres considering the size of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Anyone mention JJ 72 ? I thought they were good. Not sure what happened them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Therapy (edit: just saw thread title. Therapy are still staying. :cool:)
    Thin Lizzy.
    My Bloody Valentine.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scruffystack

Pretty sure JJ 72's lead singer was a bit of a tool live so they never made it...

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

A House had a top-40 UK hit, a couple of number ones on the old UK Indie charts, did something on the one of the billboard charts too...

They also regularly got airtime on MTV and were called by NME 'the best Irish band ever.. and that includes U2' so I think they had international impact. Whatever about the lack of commercial success, a lot of people were at least aware of them.

The Frank and Walters also flirted with the UK top ten and appeared on Top of the Pops, before suffering from a record label implosion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Their record company wouldn't release their 3rd album and the band were dropped shortly afterwards and split. Frontman Mark Geary formed Concerto for Constantine and also records solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

I think whipping boy..of all the crap that has come and went they are still hugely popular and have a classic album..pale where ok..mmh engine alley some good songs,,,the script,blizzards and others made cash but they are throw away albums...best band with any potential little green cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

They where good but again hardly an albums worth of songs.the lead singer split and has stuff but its **** imo ..still they nailed it for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

4Sheets wrote: »
    They where good but again hardly an albums worth of songs.the lead singer split and has stuff but its **** imo ..still they nailed it for a time.

Thanks for those 4Sheets.
    Yeah they had some good stuff,I really thought they would make it. I went to see them in the Red Box whenever it was. They had talent and an eye for a tune as well.
    We can all argue about bands and music until the cows come home. I think some bands get a lot more push and are matey with certain DJ's and get played an awful lot. I could never understand the popularity of The Frames for example and they did get played a lot.It's all very subjective though. I don't like the praise of bands simply because they are Irish either and I feel that goes on a lot too. However having said all of that I admire anyone or any band that records their own songs and actually creates something and goes out there and tries, knowing the odds are against them succeeding. Granted some of them can be knobs etc. but it goes with the territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

right,
    I wasnt gonna get involved but hey, what the hell....

first of all...
    WHY THE F**K are boyzone and westlife in a list of BANDS ?
    do they play their own instruments ?
    did they write the songs that made and keep them famous ?
    do they have any musical input (apart from singing badly) onto the songs !

I cannot CANNOT understand why they are called "bands"
    my understanding of bands is a group of people who write/record/play their own instruments/songs !!!!

secondly, Why would aslan be included, they had 1 song that keeps getting re-released cause they cant come up with anything else !!

thirdly, no one has mentioned Royseven at all, quality Irish band that are doing really well for themsleves both here and in Germany (that I know of right now) !!!

now, rant over (sits well back and awaits fireworks ;);) )

Advertisement