Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Significant (Rep of) Irish band since U2?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

MrTrebus wrote: »
    my understanding of bands is a group of people who write/record/play their own instruments/songs !!!!

What about pipe bands, brass bands, marching bands, jazz bands and big bands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

i think the republic of loose were really good , apart from their last album being a bit bubblegum in parts , great live act
    they deserve to be up there famewise just like bewitched and boyzone but thats the problem , not enough people get behind a good band these days preferring to listen to whatever gets rammed into their ears by radio stations that play mainly american songs with an almost identical backing track .

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

El Pr0n wrote: »
    What about pipe bands, brass bands, marching bands, jazz bands and big bands?

exactly my point !!

they play their own instruments (and read music to boot) so therefore, by my calculations, they count as Bands !!!!

exactly my point !!

they play their own instruments (and read music to boot) so therefore, by my calculations, they count as Bands !!!!

But they don't, generally, write the music they play (another of your criteria for what makes a band a band) - overall I'm sure most of those bands don't do anything but play what was put in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

exactly my point !!

What about tribute bands, do they count?

What about electronic acts like The Chemical Brothers or Autechre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

karaokeman wrote: »
    Westlife have 14 UK #1 singles, that is the third highest in history only behind the Beatles and Elvis.

Also B*Witched broke America before they split so Ireland has had its moments in pop history.
    Think the OP meant best 'bands', not karaoke singers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

bullpost wrote: »
    Enya's sold a shedload of albums around the world.
    Yea, great for doctors waiting rooms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Aphex twin.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    What about tribute bands, do they count?

What about electronic acts like The Chemical Brothers or Autechre?

in fairness,
    I'd be VERY hard pushed to think of ANY "cover/tribute" bands that would even come into this discussion so your point here is invalid !

But they don't, generally, write the music they play (another of your criteria for what makes a band a band) - overall I'm sure most of those bands don't do anything but play what was put in front of them.

fair point, but I would still consider them as bands more so than any "westlife/boyzone/take that" type ****e !

• Advertisement

so your point here is invalid !

What about Autechre?

in fairness,
    I'd be VERY hard pushed to think of ANY "cover/tribute" bands that would even come into this discussion
    Which discussion? Well obviously a cover band isn't going to be the most significant band since U2 (although a lot of them are probably better than them). My point was, going by the criteria that you posted of what supposedly makes a band, whether a cover band qualifies as a band in your view or not. If not then technically what are they?
    so your point here is invalid !
    This is what people resort to when they can't come up with a decent response. I've seen it many times before, mainly from trolls.

Which discussion? Well obviously a cover band isn't going to be the most significant band since U2 (although a lot of them are probably better than them). My point was, going by the criteria that you posted of what supposedly makes a band, whether a cover band qualifies as a band in your view or not. If not then technically what are they?

This is what people resort to when they can't come up with a decent response. I've seen it many times before, mainly from trolls.

so your calling me a troll ?????

you want to include cover/tribute bands into a thread about the most significant Irish band since U2 and you think thats relevent

I didnt say cover bands dont qualify as "bands"
    what are you on about ?

I asked why the likes of westlife/boyzone were considered "bands" as they dont write the music/play instruments etc.
    they are nothing more than glorified karaoke singers IMHO

clearly "cover" bands, who do play their own instruments, sing live and occasionally DO write their own music, would qualify as a band.

4/5 piece boy bands, who do nothing except show up when told, dance about and mostly mime live, would NOT qualify as a "band"

Yourself and others seem to want to turn this into a discussion about whether "cover" bands qualify as bands :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What about Autechre?

honestly, had never heard of them but a quick google check would indicate to me, at least, they WOULD qualify as a band (ie they write/perform/play their own instruments/music etc )

dont know why this is so hard to understand.....

if your group doesnt play instruments, play/record the track or write the song then NO, you dont count as a "band" (boyzone/westlife/girl groups etc)

if your group does play their own instruments, record the track, write the song themselves( or play someone else's music live) then , yes you do qualify as a band (ac/dc,aerosmith,the doors, royseven, the australian pink floyd, etc etc etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

so your calling me a troll ?????

you want to include cover/tribute bands into a thread about the most significant Irish band since U2 and you think thats relevent

what are you on about ?

I asked why the likes of westlife/boyzone were considered "bands" as they dont write the music/play instruments etc.
    they are nothing more than glorified karaoke singers IMHO

clearly "cover" bands, who do play their own instruments, sing live and occasionally DO write their own music, would qualify as a band.

4/5 piece boy bands, who do nothing except show up when told, dance about and mostly mime live, would NOT qualify as a "band"

Yourself and others seem to want to turn this into a discussion about whether "cover" bands qualify as bands :rolleyes::rolleyes:

A band is a group of musicians. It's the definition and boybands fit into this criteria. Whether you agree with it or not, you're incorrect to think otherwise.

dont know why this is so hard to understand....

I think it's hard to understand because you're making up rules to suit your own contrived arguments ;)

No I don't, I was just questioning the logic of your post.
    what are you on about ?
    This:
    my understanding of bands is a group of people who write/record/play their own instruments/songs !!!!
    Certainly not all cover bands write songs. Again see the part of your original post that I quoted.
    Well you did seem to make that post to get a reaction and you got one. You were sitting back and awaiting fireworks. Again I was merely questioning the logic of your post.

Besides we have already come to the conclusion that My Bloody Valentine are the most significant band since U2 a while back.

Bonavox wrote: »
    A band is a group of musicians. It's the definition and boybands fit into this criteria. Whether you agree with it or not, you're incorrect to think otherwise.

so a musician can be classed as someone who sings someone elses songs and doesnt play their own instrument or write music ?

I think it's hard to understand because you're making up rules to suit your own contrived arguments ;)

Im not making up "rules" to suit anything !
    I've just given what is my defintion of a band !

No I don't, I was just questioning the logic of your post.

This:

Again see the part of your original post that I quoted.

Well you did seem to make that post to get a reaction and you got one. You were sitting back and awaiting fireworks. Again I was merely questioning the logic of your post.

Besides we have already come to the conclusion that My Bloody Valentine are the most significant band since U2 a while back.

I said that people who play their own instruments etc DO qualify as bands
    cover bands DO play their own instruments etc etc etc
    your arguing my point for me using my own posts !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

so a musician can be classed as someone who sings someone elses songs and doesnt play their own instrument or write music ?

Yes. They sing music therefore they are musicians. Not a hard concept to grasp at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

why does every discussion on boards have to descend to bickering over the tiniest of [off topic] matters

why does every discussion on boards have to descend to bickering over the tiniest of [off topic] matters
    Dunno but it beats the hell out of talking about something like Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Aphex twin.

Yeah, we can just about claim him :p

Bonavox wrote: »
    Yes. They sing music therefore they are musicians. Not a hard concept to grasp at all.

not called "singers" then,no :confused::confused::confused:
    surely musicians play music and singers sing music

cause,

thats why :D:D:D:D

surely musicians play music and singers sing music

Nope. If you're involved in making music, you're a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The only Irish bands that have been internationally significant since U2 are the cranberries, the script and the two boy bands. I would have thought the cranberries would be head, shoulders and chest above the other three in terms of being internationally significant.
    The cranberries never seemed to really break Ireland but were massive in north america.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Reamonn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The Corrs were actually bigger than Westlife and Boyzone.

50 million albums sold worldwide and they had some success in America.

Advertisement