Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Significant (Rep of) Irish band since U2?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Sawdoctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

MrTrebus wrote: »
    Bonavox wrote: »
    Yes. They sing music therefore they are musicians. Not a hard concept to grasp at all.

not called "singers" then,no :confused::confused::confused:
    surely musicians play music and singers sing music

They are singers in the same way people who play guitar are guitarists and people who play drums are drummers. They're all musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

MBV - definitely in influence, but not so much in sales. However they've made a "classic album" but I'm not sure any of the other bands on the lists have.

Corrs / Cranberries - I'll lump these together cos I guess they're similar. Just cos they don't make hits anymore doesn't mean their success in the 90s should be overlooked. Huge sales for both, but influence? Not so much. Unless you can thank the Corrs for bringing a bit of the ol' fiddle into pop music - something B*Witched used a lot.

Sinead O'Connor - was reasonably big in the UK and the States in the late 80s and early 90s, and did influence a whole range of female Irish singers - Dolores O'Riordain for one. Not sure what her sales figures are like though.

The Script - yes they are massive. Number one albums outside of Ireland, that sort of thing. But in terms of influence? Well I think one thing they've done is influence how things should be done - if you know what I mean - no harm in being a really slick, commercial band that sells mega units. And if there were more of them in Ireland then perhaps our music industry would be a little stronger!

Westlife / Boyzone - are Boyzone really that big outside the UK? Westlife for that matter? I know neither made an impact in the States. Influence? Well, no Boyzone, no Westlife; no Westlife, no millions of other Irish boybands that came and went (including the pre-Script), and no Jedward! ;-)

Enya - huge sales but not influential. I don't know of any "musicians" who listen to her music or rate her highly. Hey what about Clannad? They won a Grammy you know! :-)

Damien Rice - big hit album with that first one, wasn't that a big seller in the States too? Definitely influential as you can't walk down the street without tripping over a singer songwriter. Continuing to this day with the likes of James Vincent McMorrow (who is something special I think) and so on.

Surprised no one mention the Divine Comedy - perhaps not a huge selling band but they had a few hits in the 90s and were written about a lot in music magazines, especially as they were lumped into the "Britpop" era. Was he from the north though?

The Waterboys? OK he's Scottish but weren't they mostly an Irish band?

In fairness, Bell X1, The Coronas, etc shouldn't be on this list as they are only popular in Ireland and will probably remain so. Bell X1 never seem to know what band they want to be, and the others are so pedestrian there's no real need for them in this overcrowded market.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

The Smiths
    Prefab Sprout

Celtic woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Anyone mention Coldplay....

This thread is f***ing stupid, just a list of bands. All tools too.

Anyway I nominate my neighbour Seanie O Murphy, he sang an ould song last year in Peggy O Shaughnessys pub, over there in da Big Apple for da irish diaspra abroad, lifted the roof he did, .........defo had the most impact outside the republic.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

This band wouldn't qualify as the most significant band since U2, but I like them as one of the best. Stand up The Pale, me old brown tomatoes.

An Emotional Fish's song Celebrate, has gotten to number 1 ( as a cover) in at least one other European country.

Lots of good stuff came out of Ireland immediately post u2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

books4sale wrote: »
    Anyone mention Coldplay....

Coldplay are English.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

The Smiths
    Prefab Sprout

They're not Irish :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

karaokeman wrote: »
    Coldplay are English.

My apologies, I meant Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

books4sale wrote: »
    My apologies, I meant Metallica.

Trollololol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

no mention of lisa hannigan

or if we are mentioning some of the other also rans of irish music the hothouse flowers.

Thin lizzy and gary moore pre-date U2.

in terms of success I'm afraid its one of the boybands or Sinead O'Connor :(

Daddy Kool and the lollipops

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

In fairness, Bell X1, The Coronas, etc shouldn't be on this list as they are only popular in Ireland and will probably remain so. Bell X1 never seem to know what band they want to be, and the others are so pedestrian there's no real need for them in this overcrowded market.

Bell X1 have a healthy fanbase outside Ireland, and are quite well known in the US (appeared on the major talkshows a number of times as well as being used on soundtracks for popular shows like the OC etc)

Stano - experimental musician who has a sizeable discography from the last 30 years.

Advertisement