Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a storm a comin'! Well a hurricane actually

Options
  • 09-09-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

Well we all love a good storm here and looks like we are going to be in luck this weekend.

From Galway News website
    HURRICANE TO HIT GALWAY THIS WEEKEND

September 9, 2011 - 12:27pm
    HURRICANE TO HIT GALWAY THIS WEEKEND
    Galway homeowners are being advised to secure their belongings this weekend as Hurricane Katia makes its approach.

Parts of Galway will be hit by high winds, coastal areas being worst affected.

Strong winds and gusts will also hit other parts of the country including Mayo and Donegal as the storm crosses the atlantic on Sunday evening.

David Rogers of Met Eireann says the worst of the winds are expected to be felt on Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

OMG the hits keep on coming for the Aquarium

First ironman now this FFS

where can I get a good cup of coffee after 6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This thread over on the Weather Forum is probably the best way of keeping up to date on the storm.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056375333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why are they calling it a hurricane? It wasn't even a hurricane when it reached NW USA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It never reached any of the USA and yes it is officially a hurricane at this moment in time.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5-daynl#contents

091248W5_NL_sm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Why are they calling it a hurricane? It wasn't even a hurricane when it reached NW USA.

This is Katia, not Irene. It's been a fish spinner to date.

• Advertisement

Latest NHC advisory, still a hurricane ( just)

144839W5_NL_sm.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Surfs up, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It never reached any of the USA and yes it is officially a hurricane at this moment in time.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5-daynl#contents

091248W5_NL_sm.gif
    are they sure it will still be strong on monday, as the american one, they were saying in days leading up to hit that it was a hurricane, but hours before it hit, they downgraded it to a storm, could that happen in our case here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

**** that ****e. We always get promised a massive storm nearly every single year and we're always disappointed when its just a bit of rain and a small breeze. I don't remember seeing old woman fly through the air or cows ending up on top of sheds.

I'll have to see it to believe this promising fable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

**** that ****e. We always get promised a massive storm nearly every single year and we're always disappointed when its just a bit of rain and a small breeze. I don't remember seeing old woman fly through the air or cows ending up on top of sheds.

I'll have to see it to believe this promising fable.

Ah but in the meantime we can dream....imagine a wild Monday morning so stormy no one can go to work,college ,school or whatever...where we all sit home on boards drinking tea and providing weather updates for each other.

And it's a good excuse to say things like "batten down the hatches!". We may as well make the most of the possibility now hanging in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

good, cos ive tonns of washing to get dry, like school uniforms etc.,,i,ll put about ten peggs in each item to make sure they stay on the line:D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Remember the storm of 87 ?
    That was a rough one!

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

That was a rough one!

Did it have a name? I've heard about Debbie from 63/64?

totally wrong it was 1961

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ah but in the meantime we can dream....imagine a wild Monday morning so stormy no one can go to work,college ,school or whatever...where we all sit home on boards drinking tea and providing weather updates for each other.

And it's a good excuse to say things like "batten down the hatches!". We may as well make the most of the possibility now hanging in the air.

If a storm is bad enough to have us all at home, I can be certain my mother will be insisting on turning off all electrical items in case it blows us all up. Good god, I'd have to converse with my family! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That was a rough one!

My Family was in holiday in Wales one summer around then and we missed a hurricane by a few days, the place we were staying, a butlons or something, was tore apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

That was a rough one!

I remember it well. It brought down a huge windmill in my home town

Wahey! Down to Salthill I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

That was a rough one!
    yes i do remember that storm, cos i was in my friends house that evening before it got bad, she wanted me to stay the night cos it had got so wet, but the night was blowing gusts of 90. we lived in the country so there was no shelter to try to go home , we had no phone so i couldnt let mum and dad know that i was staying . never seen it so bad or since then. when i got home at about 3-4 pm the next day i saw my neighbours caravan go flying over our house and landing in the harbour over in the next field. just hoping it wont be that bad this time .:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Back in the day, i remember part of the roof being blown off Leisureland.

That day was around 40 years ago dude :)

The monday storm will be no worse in Galway than todays current one I reckon ( based on the latest model runs) . Might last longer that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

That was a rough one!

I can't remember if it was that year but they had to close the cresent shopping centre in Limerick , some of the roof near tesco blew off and damaged cars and the canopy over petrol station in dan ryans had a lot of damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

link to discussion about the last big storm in 91 and the appalling loss of life in Galway.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056325732

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Its NOT a hurricane btw.Monday morning is the peak time for the winds from this storm although strong winds will continue into the afternoon.
    Considering that todays strong winds peaked at around 40mph,tomorrow night and Monday mornings storm will have winds around 60mph or higher for a few hours.Coupled with a very high tide expected for Monday morning then there's a real possibility of flooding along the Prom and Spanish Arch area's of the city.
    I do plan to have my camera with me down near the Prom on Monday morning to catch some decent wave action.I wont be taking many risks though:).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Did it have a name? I've heard about Debbie from 63/64?

totally wrong it was 1961

Debbie does Dangan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

will be more in salthill to see any destruction by the storm then were there for the iron man..:rolleyes:

can see it now, lined up like they are looking at the airshow and .. gussssssssssshhh... half of them end up in westside !!!!!:pac:

omg !! they will never survive westside :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

35mph winds predicted out west, Time to show of my long drive in golf:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

how wide is this storm, and how far down country will it effect, is cork coastline going to feel much of it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Im gonna stick on my superman costume and running outside :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I remember Debbie in Sept '61. Many trees blown down all over. Chunks of prom torn out by the waves and thrown up on the road. Hope Katie not at bad.

Be careful on the prom. Both winds and waves can overpower one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

kabakuyu wrote: »
    link to discussion about the last big storm in 91 and the appalling loss of life in Galway.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056325732

that was the storm where 3 homeless people died when a wall fell on them.
    Denis was there and thats where he got is dodgy leg injury from.

Advertisement