Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cajun Spiced

Options
  • 09-09-2011 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have a method of making cajun spice mixes for coating chicken, potatos or mushrooms.

I'm thinking red and black pepper, paprika, mustard and bay leaf. Anything else for the mix?

Edit: I guess this leads to a question of what are the essential spices for any kitchen.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Killme00 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have a method of making cajun spice mixes for coating chicken, potatos or mushrooms.

I'm thinking red and black pepper, paprika, mustard and bay leaf. Anything else for the mix?

Edit: I guess this leads to a question of what are the essential spices for any kitchen.

Thanks,

At a guess I'd say some cumin, coriander in there. Chili powder too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cajun-spice-mix-2/detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creole-seasoning-blend/detail.aspx

I like to double or triple the batches as I seem to go through a huge amount of this stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Texas Backyard BBQ (Grilling, smoking and Southern cooking)

Bought this book for my kindle yesterday, it gives a load of rubs for meat in it.

Chicken:

1 tbsp. sugar
    1 tbsp paprika
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    2 tbsp onion poder.

Book only cost $1 on Amazon, well worth a look.

(also is it just me or is anyone else having trouble sourcing onion powder?)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Kenny_D wrote: »
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cajun-spice-mix-2/detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creole-seasoning-blend/detail.aspx

I like to double or triple the batches as I seem to go through a huge amount of this stuff :D

I was thinking cayenne pepper as the most important spice for Cajun food, so these 2 look good.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Guill wrote: »
    (also is it just me or is anyone else having trouble sourcing onion powder?)

I picked up some onion granules in Tesco last week, is it the same stuff??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

nicol wrote: »

I can only get onion salt in my Tesco, have been checking for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

This is what I use. Same thing really just not ground down as much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

A long, long time ago I used to work as a kitchen slave porter in a what was at the time very well-known Cajun-Creole restaurant in Dublin. They had a really sensational dish called Blackened Chicken that used to get very good write-ups. Over the years I went back there a couple of times as a customer and tried that dish again, but was disappointed each time as it wasn't a patch on the "original".

Anyway, enough of that. The Cajun spice mix used was:

2 parts paprika
    1 part Cayenne pepper
    1 part black pepper
    1 part white pepper
    1 part garlic salt
    1 part cumin
    1 part oregano

The butterflied chicken breast was dipped in melted butter and then into the tub of spice mix and thrown onto an almost orange-hot griddle and turned over after a minute or two, "blackening" it on both sides.

There's a really good sauce to go with it and I'll post that at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

A long, long time ago I used to work as a kitchen slave porter in a what was at the time very well-known Cajun-Creole restaurant in Dublin. They had a really sensational dish called Blackened Chicken that used to get very good write-ups. Over the years I went back there a couple of times as a customer and tried that dish again, but was disappointed each time as it wasn't a patch on the "original".

Anyway, enough of that. The Cajun spice mix used was:

2 parts paprika
    1 part Cayenne pepper
    1 part black pepper
    1 part white pepper
    1 part garlic salt
    1 part cumin
    1 part oregano

The butterflied chicken breast was dipped in melted butter and then into the tub of spice mix and thrown onto an almost orange-hot griddle and turned over after a minute or two, "blackening" it on both sides.

There's a really good sauce to go with it and I'll post that at some stage.

Would never have thought of the melted butter, I'll have to remember that one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It would be, the granules are not pure flour which some onion powders would be, but the same idea.
    Guill wrote: »
    I can only get onion salt in my Tesco, have been checking for the last few weeks.
    I got it in tesco ballybrack, so some do have it. You could try asking a manager to get it in, it was a tesco brand product. It is not showing up on tesco online though.

I read of people slicing up onions and baking on a really low heat to dry them out, then liquidise it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Nice one Little Alex, looking forward to the sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

easier than making your own, head over to the asian market on the backside of dunnes (georges st) in their spice section, they have a lovely blend already made up. also, traditional cajun spice mix has thyme and or oregano in it, not cumin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

stick girl wrote: »
    ... traditional cajun spice mix has thyme and or oregano in it, not cumin

You could be right, but this is the mix that was used where I used to work.

I made it last night because this thread got me thinkking about it. :pac:

I can't remember the exact method used to make the sauce, but this tasted pretty close from memory...

There was chicken stock in it, I remember that much. So I fried some leftover chicken wing tips in some butter and when they had taken on some colour I sprinkled in some flour and mixed it in with the butter. Then I slowly poured in about 300ml of milk whilst stirring.

Next I added some of the spice mix into the sauce - making a milder version of the actual chicken itself - and some extra salt to taste. After that I added a chopped red pepper (the original also had green pepper) and let it gently bubble for about half an hour. When it was done I added two spoonfuls of cream to finish it. The wing tips are then fished out.

Served with some fried potatoes and onions:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10651

Advertisement