Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Raid Siren in Dundalk

Options
  • 09-09-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Sitting here reading and I hear this Air Raid Siren every day. Anybody know what it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

It was before or during World War II that the Great Northern Railway, one of the major railway companies at the time in Ireland ordered a siren for their works at Dundalk. It used to sound at ten to eight and eight o'clock, then one, two and five o'clock, sounding 5 times a day. When the GNR had been dissolved in 1958 it was used by a few other companies which took over the old GNR works. In the late 1980's it became derelict but was in recent times refurbished and has been used by Caraher and Ward Limited ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

netnerd wrote: »
    It was before or during World War II that the Great Northern Railway, one of the major railway companies at the time in Ireland ordered a siren for their works at Dundalk. It used to sound at ten to eight and eight o'clock, then one, two and five o'clock, sounding 5 times a day. When the GNR had been dissolved in 1958 it was used by a few other companies which took over the old GNR works. In the late 1980's it became derelict but was in recent times refurbished and has been used by Caraher and Ward Limited ever since.

It sounded at 10 to 2 as well. 6 times daily. I was reared to it and our family routine was run to each of the 6 sirens each day. Dad left for work on the first, we kids got up on 2, went up the street to meet Dad for lunch at 3. Dad left to go back at 4 and we helped clear the dinner table at 5. Got thing ready for tea at number 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

MugMugs wrote: »
    Sitting here reading and I hear this Air Raid Siren every day. Anybody know what it is?

http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10756&sid=395ae3318f41c11a502299026eef4460

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's not Xerox by any chance? I think that has air raid sirens at 1pm and 5pm. Or at least it possibly had a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

could it be a quarry? theres one in kinsealy and you hear it from time to time when they are blasting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Does the siren not come from the Harp Lager?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

It comes from the Ardee road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

It's not Xerox by any chance? I think that has air raid sirens at 1pm and 5pm. Or at least it possibly had a few years ago.
    browner85 wrote: »
    could it be a quarry? theres one in kinsealy and you hear it from time to time when they are blasting?
    James__10 wrote: »
    Does the siren not come from the Harp Lager?

Did none of you read the comprehensive (and correct) answer that was already provided?

Did none of you read the comprehensive (and correct) answer that was already provided?

I really do wonder about people at times. :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

i live a few doors away from it. and it is pretty loud alrite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Whoops :O

I speed-read it on my mobile and forgot to read the very last bit - I thought it was detailing a siren that happened in the past, I didn't realise that it was still continuing.

Whoops :O

I speed-read it on my mobile and forgot to read the very last bit - I thought it was detailing a siren that happened in the past, I didn't realise that it was still continuing.

And yet you still suggested it was Xerox! Strange logic and wrong answer anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

It's used in the Grammar school today. When the 1pm horn goes that's when the first years and prefects get out for lunch. Used then at 5pm for tea for the borders.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    It's used in the Grammar school today. When the 1pm horn goes that's when the first years and prefects get out for lunch. Used then at 5pm for tea for the borders.

Well tally-ho! The men of the GNR would be so overjoyed that the Grammar school operate to their time-clock. :p

And yet you still suggested it was Xerox! Strange logic and wrong answer anyway. :p

If you read my post, I misunderstood the explanation and thought that the siren of the GNR was no longer operating. But as the OP asked what the siren was (and he posted the thread in 2011 as opposed to in the 1950s), I guessed a location that might presently have a siren, and I remember someone saying to me that Xerox had a siren at 1pm and at 5pm.

If you understand my initial mistake (speed-reading the explanation on a bus), then the logic isn't all that strange (despite being, as you say, incorrect :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's pretty wonderful it still runs. Nice to hear too even more so knowing its history. Cheers folks. :)

Advertisement