Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here when you buy a new game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

JD1763 wrote: »
    Picked up Scythe and Invaders from Afar for Christmas - now I'm trying to resist splurging on all the extra promo items from the kickstarter.

Also grabbed Isle of Skye, Feast for Odin, Great Western Trail, Seafall and Dead of Winter Long Night.

Went a little bit nuts :o

LOL we all do that!.

I would love to try feast of Odin.Hope to get a copy some day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Howya

Food Chain Magnate
    Captain Sonar
    Viticulture
    TIME Stories

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Howya

Food Chain Magnate
    Captain Sonar
    Viticulture
    TIME Stories

Let us know what Captain Sonar is like, I always find some of the reviewers underestimate how hard it is to get a good crowd together.

I got Love Letter recently, just something to carry around and play whenever I met up with friends. It's very good and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Food Chain Magnate (thanks Cherry), Inis (finally an EU distributor was selling copies at normal prices), Legendary Alien Expansion, Tuscany Essentials and Arkham Horror LCG Curse of the Rugurahoweveryouspellthis. Also backed the Lisboa kickstarter.

Still haven't gotten Feast to the table, while the game is relatively simple to learn, it is visually intimidating and I need some diehard Rosenberg fans to join but they're all fixated on Scythe at the minute. Love letter is really excellent, played it for the first time two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. My group also really liked viticulture. Played Secret Hit*** for the first time with ten people and it was amazing, even the non-gamers got really into it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CatInABox wrote: »
    Let us know what Captain Sonar is like, I always find some of the reviewers underestimate how hard it is to get a good crowd together.

I got Love Letter recently, just something to carry around and play whenever I met up with friends. It's very good and simple.

We played Captain Sonar with 6. Between a game of Viticulture and Elder Signs. Just as a light game between games... but eh we ended up playing 6 games of captain sonar, switching up our teams. It's really fantastic. We spent 5 minutes after each game discussing each of our panels.

Food Chain Magnate is mad altogether. Really need to be on top of your game to win the thing and have no respect for your teammates :) Really great game. We intentionally made the bank reserve low so we dont play out a full 4/5 hour game so we clocked in at 3. Could easily do it in 2 hours if we fully understood the rules but at that the late game strategic element is not as present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

• 71tiw34aQmL._SX466_.jpg
    Picked this up from Amazon for £40 including shipping.It has some great reviews and looks amazing.

Saw this in a top games of 2016/2017 youtube vid and artwork looked really nice - didn't really describe the gameplay though. I'd be interested to hear how it plays.

Santorini acquired!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

My sister got Codenames at Christmas to play with the family. Everyone loved it, even my mother who is not a fan of board games. Such a clever game and so easy for people to pick up. Had a huge game of it Christmas day and it was a massive hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

Haul from last week:
    Celestia
    Cat Box

and bought Flash Point: Fire Rescue from a friend.

• Advertisement

Santorini and golden fleece, archipelago and expansions, the carnivale of horrors and miskatonic packs for Arkham Horror, Cuba Libre (my COIN obsession has started) and Cottage Garden.

Also backed Rising Sun and the Champions of Midgard on Kickstarter. The Midgard one is great if you haven't taken the plunge yet - two expansions, add-ons and the base game plus a special box with insert to keep it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Just in the early stages of my collection but I managed to pick up a copy of Inis today in Galway! I had already picked up what I set out for (Splendor) and then saw Inis sitting very prettily on the shelf! Insta-buy!

Early birthday present - Terraforming Mars. Really looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

picked up Star Wars Armada. I haven't played it yet and wont until the weekend but it looks good. bit pricy though for what you're getting with the base set.

swm01_layout.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Picked up Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (the Jack the Ripper/West End set).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Didn't know that even existed. Will have to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Picked up Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (the Jack the Ripper/West End set).

I will get this eventually, I probably would have sooner but got so confused by editions that I decided to hold off, sounds great though

Finally got my hands on a decently priced copy of A Distant Plain and the expansion for Labyrinth War on Terror. Really enjoying Labyrinth and its a bonus being able to play it solo. Just need to get Fire on the Lake next.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

picked up Star Wars Armada. I haven't played it yet and wont until the weekend but it looks good. bit pricy though for what you're getting with the base set.

I always wanted this game but it's just so expensive and you still would have to buy loads more to do a fleet action.

So what I got instead a few weeks ago was Dropfleet Commander, it's similar enough to Battlefleet Gothic which is no surprise as it's written by Andy Chambers, but the value from the starter set is great, 2 fleets, rulebook and a poster for playing on for 65€ at my bricks and mortar store :)

Dropfleet-Commander-2-Player-Starter-Set-BNIB-_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Was last week, but picked up the Terminal Directive legacy expansion for Netrunner. Couple of games in so far; interesting to play with a limited pool, though one player opening packs mid- / post-game while other player sits around is a bit meh.

Also bought Star Realms, but haven't cracked it out yet.

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Was last week, but picked up the Terminal Directive legacy expansion for Netrunner. Couple of games in so far; interesting to play with a limited pool, though one player opening packs mid- / post-game while other player sits around is a bit meh.

Also bought Star Realms, but haven't cracked it out yet.

I got the steam version of Star Realms after the last episode of Tabletop. Quite enjoying it so far so I may have to invest in the physical game. Although I usually HATE deck building games like Magic.

Got a used copy of Lotr Risk Trilogy Edition, the box could have been in better shape, and I've yet to count the cards to make sure they're all there, but all the units are still sealed and the board itself is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Only really started to get into board games over the past year or so, but gradually building up a decent collection. Picked up Legendary Marvel and Dark City to try out a solo play, and looking forward to working it out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I always wanted this game but it's just so expensive and you still would have to buy loads more to do a fleet action.
    I hear you. I love Star Wars though so I have no real issue parting with the cash unless it's stupid money. Funny enough, I haven't actually played Armada yet. I want my O/H's first impression with it to be the best possible so i ordered an extra Star Destroyer and Mon Cal cruiser from the shop, just to make it look like a proper fleet engagement but it's going to be next week sometime before they land :(
    So what I got instead a few weeks ago was Dropfleet Commander, it's similar enough to Battlefleet Gothic which is no surprise as it's written by Andy Chambers, but the value from the starter set is great, 2 fleets, rulebook and a poster for playing on for 65€ at my bricks and mortar store :)

Dropfleet-Commander-2-Player-Starter-Set-BNIB-_1.jpg

God that looks nice. Iv'e never heard of it before. Is it something on to 40K/Battlefleet Gothic...Starter armies and build up a force piecemeal over time?

mise wrote: »
    Only really started to get into board games over the past year or so, but gradually building up a decent collection. Picked up Legendary Marvel and Dark City to try out a solo play, and looking forward to working it out tomorrow

I've heard good things, will pick it up eventually I'd say. I have legendary encounters aliens which is great fun, but with the nature of the theme I prefer to play with someone else.

I've heard good things, will pick it up eventually I'd say. I have legendary encounters aliens which is great fun, but with the nature of the theme I prefer to play with someone else.

Yeah, I'm hoping that once I work out how to play, I can get my wife to play to. We've recently moved from Labyrinth, to Rivals for Catan, so hopefully Legendary won't be too much of a jump.
    Legendary Encounters Aliens is on the list too, but I'll see how we go with Marvel.

mise wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm hoping that once I work out how to play, I can get my wife to play to. We've recently moved from Labyrinth, to Rivals for Catan, so hopefully Legendary won't be too much of a jump.
    Legendary Encounters Aliens is on the list too, but I'll see how we go with Marvel.

My husband and I are big fans of Rivals for Catan. Such a good game. Difficult to win consistently which is why we love it.

Picked up a second core set of The LoTR Lcg, it was that or Arkham, whichever came up first on eBay. Not hugely in to the deckbuilding aspect as much as playing the scenarios, so will be using RingsDB for a while anyways

I've started playing recently the Lord of the Rings LCG, and am quite enjoying it. Picked up the first set of expansion packs on Book Depository, so that should keep me going, while I wait for the Khazad Dum reprint.

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    My husband and I are big fans of Rivals for Catan. Such a good game. Difficult to win consistently which is why we love it.

We love it too. We're playing 3 series games through each era setup. Only starting the third series now, but its 50-50 on wins so far

Advertisement